Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Well it’s not so much prep but I was really angry today. As we’ve been told, no gatherings over 100 people. My friend went to a wedding with about 90 guests. So that’s not incudling the workers. I said I wldnt put yrself or the kids at danger, the answer I got was, word for word “I don’t care, doesn’t worry me, people are being stupid and overreacting” It’s attidudes like this that puts our world at risk, selfish and ignorant grrrrrrrrrr so mad. I love her and feel guilty I feel so angry but I just imagine all the people in the world with attitudes just like that who are depending on everyone else to do the right thing to lessen THEIR danger. Hmph

@kq1981 - send her this link: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120462582/coronavirus-perfect-aussie-wedding-turns-into-nightmare-as-37-guests-test-positive

A wedding is how community transmission started here. Things were semi under control when new cases were almost all imported and dealt with immediately.

All it takes is one infected person in a large group situation :\
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.
    Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

That's a longer list than we used to have (before the curfew was announced, now it's even shorter). I'm curious why liquor stores are considered essential.

Alcohol is a disinfectant. ;)
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    News today is still bad--the North still hasn't hit it's peak, maybe next week. The statistics are saying 1 in 3 are dying in the hospitals. Another question was asked "Why is the death toll proportionately higher in Milan and Brescia (two northern cities) than in the rest of the North?" There is speculation that smog may enter into the equation. Those areas have frequent extremely high smog alerts, especially in the winter. China also has this problem. It may weaken lungs.

Yesterday the toll on doctors was 7 dead. A cashier at a grocery store died of COV19.

Is the elevation higher there, than elsewhere? If so, a decrease of oxygen might be a reason since the air's naturally thinner, the higher above sea level we're.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2020
    News today is still bad--the North still hasn't hit it's peak, maybe next week. The statistics are saying 1 in 3 are dying in the hospitals. Another question was asked "Why is the death toll proportionately higher in Milan and Brescia (two northern cities) than in the rest of the North?" There is speculation that smog may enter into the equation. Those areas have frequent extremely high smog alerts, especially in the winter. China also has this problem. It may weaken lungs.

Yesterday the toll on doctors was 7 dead. A cashier at a grocery store died of COV19.

Thanks for your info about what is happening in Italy because I trust the numbers from there. Locally (near Mississippi River end of Kentucky) the virus this week has moved inside of the local hospital through an employee (tested positive) that spent time with a visitor from Nashville TN that tested positive as of 17 March 2020. The now positive visitor also attended church on 15 March 2020 in Murray KY while visiting the local hospital employee. There were 150 people exposed at that church service that was not to happen because KY was limiting group meeting to no more than 10 at that point in time.

Basically now the entire town and much of the county has been exposed though that church and hospital. We are a very rural farming community and college town. Thankfully college and other schools were closed last week. Sadly the college students that were on the beaches in close contact in Florida this week are returning to home states.

KY went from 1 (air traveler) known case to 70+ in about a week literally state wide. TN is doing nothing to stop the spread but they have people spreading the virus to surrounding states. Basically many of us in this area have been exposed in just one week. Churches I expect are going to listen to the Governor instead of voices that they are hearing saying to meet. We can not close the hospital to patients and employees but Thursday they did close it to visitors off the street and secured the doors somewhat even if it is no more than a sign stating no visitors.

Folks the need to stay home is real to help protect our family and neighbors that have to get out so people that have to keep the hospitals open, the lights burning, food and water flowing, etc are at less risks.

Yes a few people are going to die but many people are going to be bankrupted due to this virus. The world wide impact will still be felt 20 years from now. Retirement plans are being wrecked. The mental/emotional fall out can last the rest of our life time. Take 2 aspirins and go to bed is not going to fix things this time around.

Your comment about about smog is important because smog is one of the world's driver of disease. We have to get away from coal, gas and diesel energy sources but this virus may delay progress on the front for many years to come.