Stocking up on what??

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bought like 5lbs potatos and 5lbs sweet potatos last night; pasta was 4 boxes for $5 - i just need ot get some chicken tonight on my way home (or other protein source) and then i'll be set mostly
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

Wanted to share... figure this could maybe help someone who needs it!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar That looks delicious! I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend . . . fresh bread makes home feel cozier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Just a few tips for Irish Soda Bread for any not too familiar - there are many variations of recipes out there which use various liquid ingredients, but most often that might be buttermilk, which you may not have to hand.

Substitutions include thinned down natural yoghurts of all varieties. Thin with water or milk.

milk soured with a tsp of lemon juice or cream of tartar.

Thinned down sour cream or creme fraiche.

Basically all it needs is a slightly acidic dairy element. The acid activates the bicarbonate of soda to produce carbon dioxide thus raising your dough.

Yes, I haven't bought buttermilk in years and have used both the thinned yogurt and soured milk substitutes. (Vinegar can be used to sour milk as well.) I have no particular preference, just use whichever needs to be used up more.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I actually have a partial carton of buttermilk I need to use up so thank you for the Irish Soda Bread idea. I bought the buttermilk for a couple of salad dressing recipes, but I didn't need the whole carton.
  • magicfoodfluff
    magicfoodfluff Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For those that are having a hard time finding food don't forget to look at the local discount stores & near expiration stores.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Hubby found stuff under a shelf covered in dust y opened boxes (but not pouches) of stuffing. Better than nothing not time to be picky .But do check for tampering if open
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i just do my normal weekly shopping. i refuse to be a hoarder
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    wils5150 wrote: »
    i just do my normal weekly shopping. i refuse to be a hoarder

I think we’d all be lucky (and ecstatic) to be able to do our ‘normal’ weekly shopping. There is nothing ‘normal’ about the shops in my part of the world just now.

100% this. Shelves here are always bare.
  • PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I did it! I baked my first ever loaf of bread from scratch! I did cut my × too deep, but trial and error first time and I won't do it again so deep. It has a nice flavor and I am very pleased.

@PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010 Thank you for the recipe, which is what I used.

Most excellent, LovelyChar!! You can probably use the same buttermilk substitute to make biscuits! I am partial to Matty Matheson's method:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d35mbw/easy-biscuits-recipe

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Husband brought home 2 loaves of bread and yeast packets today.

@PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010 Thank you for this. I love buttermilk biscuits. Next attempt is pancakes tomorrow evening, so easy and one of my favorites.
    Options
    I haven't tried this myself yet, but now that you have yeast, here's a No-Knead Bread Recipe:

Excerpt from the NY Times

Here is one of the most popular recipes The Times has ever published, courtesy of Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery. It requires no kneading. It uses no special ingredients, equipment or techniques. And it takes very little effort — only time. You will need 24 hours to create the bread, but much of this is unattended waiting, a slow fermentation of the dough that results in a perfect loaf.

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
    ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
    1 ¼ teaspoons salt
    Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this myself yet, but now that you have yeast, here's a No-Knead Bread Recipe:

Here is one of the most popular recipes The Times has ever published, courtesy of Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery. It requires no kneading. It uses no special ingredients, equipment or techniques. And it takes very little effort — only time. You will need 24 hours to create the bread, but much of this is unattended waiting, a slow fermentation of the dough that results in a perfect loaf.

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
    ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
    1 ¼ teaspoons salt
    Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Thank you!!! I'll give it a shot tomorrow or Monday and post it. I appreciate this.
    Options
    ... and Roberta’s Pizza Dough:

Happy cooking!!!

This recipe, adapted from Roberta’s, the pizza and hipster haute-cuisine utopia in Bushwick, Brooklyn, provides a delicate, extraordinarily flavorful dough that will last in the refrigerator for up to a week. It rewards close attention to weight rather than volume in the matter of the ingredients, and asks for a mixture of finely ground Italian pizza flour (designated “00” on the bags and available in some supermarkets, many specialty groceries and always online) and regular all-purpose flour. As ever with breads, rise time will depend on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen and refrigerator.

153 grams Tipo "00" flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
    153 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)
    8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
    2 grams active dry yeast (3/4 teaspoon)
    4 grams extra-virgin olive oil (1 teaspoon)

In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.

In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.

Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)

To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.