Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    799 cases and 13 deaths in Los Angeles County. No idea what fraction of the population was even tested.
    ETA: 812 cases
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Our little city population 60,000 just had to close all the parks, picnic areas and playgrounds because people just couldn't not gather in groups (and not just teens). I don't get it, I really don't. Most people have to risk crowds while shopping as it is, why take extra unnecessary chances? Especially with children. I've seen a couple of families with kids playing on playground equipment and I just wanted to stop and shake them!

It might get to that point here. https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/03/25/parks-lakefront-could-be-closed-and-people-arrested-if-they-dont-start-staying-at-home-officials-warn/

"People could get fined up to $500 if they don't stop crowding each other at parks and beaches or if they don't practice social distancing."

-and-

“For the most part, Chicagoans have been doing well at maintaining social distancing. But we are concerned with what we’ve seen in recent days — both indoors and outdoors,” [Mayor] Lightfoot said. “I’ve personally been concerned about what I’ve seen in our parks: people playing basketball. And what I’ve seen along our lakefront: way too many people gathering like it’s just another day.

“This is not another day.”

Lightfoot said that even while on her way to the press conference, she saw people congregating on the lakefront trail and at beaches.

Continuing to gather in crowds is against state law under the stay at home order, Lightfoot said, and it will lead to further spread of the coronavirus and more deaths.

It’s still OK to leave home to go on walks or to get essentials, like groceries. But walks should be short and kept near the home, Lightfoot said, and people should avoid long bike rides and runs along the lakefront. She also said playgrounds are shut down and people should not play on them."
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    IL new numbers in: 1865 positives and 19 deaths (3 more since yesterday). 14,209 tested. Chicago (city only) has 915, and 5 deaths, so no more deaths here since yesterday.

Note re the issue of lots of people being out, it was close to 60 and sunny today, probably the nicest day of 2020 so far, and was quite nice yesterday too. For once we might be better off with worse weather.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Interesting piece on map showing how much different areas are social distancing based on GPS maps.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-chicago-social-distancing-score-20200325-c5aeioufznd3vodcm3a3jkxpfu-story.html

"Both Cook County and the state of Illinois have high marks as of Tuesday on the “Social Distancing Scoreboard,” an interactive project based on GPS location data collected by the company Unacast that roughly measures whether or not people are heeding the advice of officials to “flatten the curve” of the spread of the coronavirus.

The scores were determined by the change in average distance traveled compared with before the coronavirus outbreak. If residents are staying put aside from the occasional trip to the grocery store or pharmacy, the dip in travel would be apparent in the data.

A more than 40% decrease leads to an A, with grades dropping from there. Anything less than a 10% decrease — or an increase — ends in an F...."

Illinois had a 40% decrease by March 21, according to Unacast’s board. Cook County saw a 44% decrease.

[Arwady, director of the IL dept of public health] noted that it’s safe for people to be out for walks and she encourages exercise with proper precautions but worries about crowds of people doing that at the same time. The city will be taking steps to limit crowds, Arwady said.

“When the lakefront is looking like the middle of summer and everyone’s wanting to go there, we are not social distancing effectively," she said. "We’re going to be doing some more patrolling there, some more trying to help folks stay away.”

Arwady said that Chicago is on a “big, steep, upward trajectory” in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases, and the city is hoping to slow that rise. “We’ll put in additional orders if we need to,” she said, referring to the city’s stay home order.

“I’m glad we’re in better shape than the rest of the country, but it is not enough,” Arwady said, noting the 40% decline in city travel. The goal, she said, is to get to a 75% reduction to flatten the curve enough to prevent city hospitals from being overwhelmed.

“I need Chicago at an A+. Maybe an A++,” Arwady said."
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been posted already.

Prince Charles tests positive, displays 'mild symptoms'

Britain's Prince Charles, heir to the throne, has tested positive for the coronavirus, his official royal residence said in a statement. The statement said Prince Charles, 71, has "been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health." His wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, does not have the virus, a test showed.

Prince Charles' coronavirus diagnosis:It's a huge deal for Brits, the monarchy. Here's why.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth has canceled a number of diary events "as a sensible precaution" amid the outbreak, but as late as last week she was still holding "audiences" with members of the public. Britain's monarch is 93.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been posted already.

Prince Charles tests positive, displays 'mild symptoms'

Britain's Prince Charles, heir to the throne, has tested positive for the coronavirus, his official royal residence said in a statement. The statement said Prince Charles, 71, has "been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health." His wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, does not have the virus, a test showed.

Prince Charles' coronavirus diagnosis:It's a huge deal for Brits, the monarchy. Here's why.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth has canceled a number of diary events "as a sensible precaution" amid the outbreak, but as late as last week she was still holding "audiences" with members of the public. Britain's monarch is 93.

The Queen is just as stubborn as my 94-year-old mother! :(
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just got my emergency alert, in case I'd somehow missed that we are going on lockdown. The alert sound on my phone was suitably obnoxious and attention grabbing...

91027955_2852486098176570_7173085461563310080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=x8bG2ACms38AX9pD7U5&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg2-1.fna&oh=8b4a0bf7651f720aaf85f983683eedf7&oe=5EA0537A

Australia got a text alert yesterday too. Our PM held a press conference the evening before, imposing a new level of restrictions (none surprising - weddings, funerals, boot camps, beauty services etc). For some reason, they imposed a restriction of hairdressing appointments to be 30 minutes long but cut all other health and beauty services completely. THEN, by the typical mixed messaging we are used to here, that decision was reversed this morning and all hair services can operate. It's ridiculous.
    The text message we received finished with 'and stay home if you're sick', contrary to all directives to 'stay home if possible' given prior.
    *kitten* show...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    smithker75 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just got my emergency alert, in case I'd somehow missed that we are going on lockdown. The alert sound on my phone was suitably obnoxious and attention grabbing...

91027955_2852486098176570_7173085461563310080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=x8bG2ACms38AX9pD7U5&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg2-1.fna&oh=8b4a0bf7651f720aaf85f983683eedf7&oe=5EA0537A

Australia got a text alert yesterday too. Our PM held a press conference the evening before, imposing a new level of restrictions (none surprising - weddings, funerals, boot camps, beauty services etc). For some reason, they imposed a restriction of hairdressing appointments to be 30 minutes long but cut all other health and beauty services completely. THEN, by the typical mixed messaging we are used to here, that decision was reversed this morning and all hair services can operate. It's ridiculous.
    The text message we received finished with 'and stay home if you're sick', contrary to all directives to 'stay home if possible' given prior.
    *kitten* show...

*sigh* :(

And no, you can't have Cindy.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse haha. Beat me to it. I just watched her FB live...amazing.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    And though our state is supposed to be in a shelter in place lock down, traffic on the main road was pretty steady and really about normal. My sister works for Krogers and said they were busy. The list of what is considered essential in WV is long and pretty much the only places that had to close were beauty shops, sit-down restaurants with no carry out options, and bars and theaters. The local retail shops, pharmacies, and grocery stores are still open, and as long as those places are open, especially Walmart, people are going to go out and about business as usual. In my area, its probably going to take a positive case of the virus in town or hitting someone we all know before most people take it seriously, I'm afraid.
    My husband is considered essential, and was trying to figure out just who wasn’t included on the list :lol: He was working from home so we drove into town during his lunch to check things out (didn’t get out of the car), but yeah, most everything was open minus a few storefronts (hair, consignment, can’t remember what else). Everything else had lights on and running (mostly restaurants, pharmacies, and banks I guess).
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Most of our stores are closed (and those open are often operating by curbside as much as possible) with the exception of stuff like grocery, pet supplies, pharmacy, liquor. Banks here have very reduced personnel (as nearly all bank functions don't have to be in person). Restaurants are delivery only.

I walked around my immediate neighborhood today (not in the direction of any grocery store) and everything I saw was closed but for a gas station. Many businesses that are operating (like construction, apparently, as I saw various ongoing projects) don't have storefronts. I'm technically essential, but even essential is supposed to WFH if possible and we are (with one person going into the empty office once a week). But businesses that need to be open to survive are lobbying to be declared essential -- I got an email from a pet grooming place (which I have never used, I have cats and they would be horrified) that claimed pet grooming had been declared essential in NY and they they were still trying to change IL's mind, and a landscaper/yard care place I used one emailed relieved that they had been declared essential.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I can see that pet grooming is sort of essential - not the fancy stuff but basic cutting of dogs with fur that needs cutting.

Also landscaping - if we want people to stay home and do home things we would be contradicting that if garden shops were closed.
    As well as basic repairs of hoses, fences etc. and basic equipment like weeding implements, buckets, etc.