Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    My husband is working still, but they are rotating work-from-home days to attempt to limit exposure and also taking steps to try and limit shift to shift contact. His company provides lids for P&G’s Lysol containers - definitely in hot demand! Along with packaging for other cleaning supplies, (I think they still do Clorox lids), and other basic hygiene items... closing them down would shut down P&G’s production, leading to supply chain disruptions all around. Craziness...

You'll find that they will not shut down any company that makes essential cleaning supplies. Just like they will not shut down the electric company, gas company, water company. Essential services will remain open. Sorry for your husband. I hope he's protected while working.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    As surrounded as we are in our little patch of WV - MD, CA, and DC all within a stones throw - I don’t see any way it’s not here... and now that you mention it, We had something back in January with a really bad cough (started with my husband), mine was really funky and to the point that I felt like I was gasping for air. I used my inhaler and thankfully started coughing up crud... scared me! Then the crud my kiddos had at the start of this thread. I wish I knew for sure, but no way to know...

We had a few people in my church hospitalized with that stuff in January, too. It was also going around in late November/early December, and the dry cough lasted for weeks. Though that was before the 1st case was discovered in China, so I'm not sure if it was, or not. It was something that had a respiratory component to it, and when I think back to my mom's symptoms, she was extremely lethargic for several days and ran a fever as well with it, and the cough seemed to linger for a while. My church actually limited services for about 2 weeks because of it as it was going around pretty quickly - so was it COVID-19? Maybe? No way of knowing now, though. And unfortunately, it seems that you can re-catch it after you've had it before, so that isn't going to help if it starts around again, though I hope that if you catch it a second time, the case will be milder.

I found out that the fast food restaurants are going to drive through only here. The newspaper this morning had interviewed the health department for the two local counties which both said that there have been people who have been tested negative in both counties, but that testing was still very limited and had to meet the criteria; that you couldn't be tested just because you wanted to because there wasn't enough tests. Monroe County went on to say that they only had 5 private tests; everything else had to be put through the state health department, and the state would only test those that meet their testing requirements.

I'm going to continue coming into my office for now, but that decision will be made on a day to day basis, depending on whether a case is found in this county or neighboring counties. We are a very small service center, so I'm only exposed to a handful of people, and we are in separate offices for the most part. The biggest areas of concern will be the bathrooms and the kerig machine in the kitchen......But we have several bottles of sanitizer available right now, as well as wipes, and the service center manager even sent the secretary after bleach today, saying if we run out of the other stuff and can't restock, we'll resort to using diluted bleach water.

Unfortunately, still almost impossible to find toilet paper or other paper products. I stopped at the local Walmart at lunch for a bathroom break (and that made me rather queasy, thinking about germ spreading and public spaces, but what can one do? Risk an indecent exposure citation?) Anyway, it had no toilet paper, no paper towels, no napkins, and one and half cases of kleenex tissues. I was needing the tissues at the office, so that was nice, but I need paper towels at home.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    In our state, at least 2 of the 10 confirmed cases didn’t qualify for tests, so had to get private testing. It took a little longer, so there may be more private tests pending and/or Dr.s looking for tests.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Walmart isn't delivering or allowing any advance choice, of future delivery dates & my local grocery store's time slots're sold out, through March 22nd.

@DecadeDuchess I placed an order today and there wasn't any information about this, it was Walmart.com not the grocery though. Is it the same with Walmart.com? I have some stuff like cat litter I'll really need next week so if it's true for walmart.com then I'll need to brave the stores.

I ordered some quarantine(and regular day-to-day) chocolates on Amazon. Prime delivery should have been yesterday, but due to the intense overload of orders, the earliest I can get my order will be Thursday. I'm not worried, but it just shows how much of an overload the "system" is having due to grocery stores selling out of certain things, or people fearing going out.

Shoot. I ordered cat food on Sunday from Amazon since there was none available here. It said at the time it was in stock and would be here Prime aka Tuesday, but now it says it hasn’t even shipped yet and will be here Thursday. It also says it’s sold out and will be available in one to two days if you go to buy it. I wonder if it exists or if I just won’t get it.

One of my cats needs hypoallergenic food, options for what I can feed her are really limited. Her prescription food is made in the US. I'm planning to have my vet clinic order in several trays for me next week when I have the money for it. Just in case. Also going to check if there may be any issues getting another of my cat's medications (yes, I have a house of special needs cats!).

I hope you both are able to get the food soon. I thought I had enough cat supplies as I stocked up at Costco but have two cats, they go through litter faster than I expect. It's supposed to be here Monday. I'll need to go to the store at the end of the week so I'll get a box just in case. Chewy is backed up too but still delivering (it's cheaper there but I didn't discover that until after I ordered).

My gym finally was forced to close. My doctor's check-up appointment is still happening today, I've been in isolation since Friday and it feels weird to be going out.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Just heard on the news that someone at my husband's company (the local branch) tested positive. We don't know though if the person works in the same building though. The company will have a virtual meeting in a few hours.

I'm so sorry. Hopefully you'll get some reassuring news. I figure it's only a matter of time before it hits the factory where my husband works.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    We had a few people in my church hospitalized with that stuff in January, too. It was also going around in late November/early December, and the dry cough lasted for weeks. Though that was before the 1st case was discovered in China, so I'm not sure if it was, or not. It was something that had a respiratory component to it, and when I think back to my mom's symptoms, she was extremely lethargic for several days and ran a fever as well with it, and the cough seemed to linger for a while. My church actually limited services for about 2 weeks because of it as it was going around pretty quickly - so was it COVID-19? Maybe? No way of knowing now, though. And unfortunately, it seems that you can re-catch it after you've had it before, so that isn't going to help if it starts around again, though I hope that if you catch it a second time, the case will be milder.
    My husband caught something back in late January and had symptoms like those you describe. He was on again off again sick for about a month or so. He may well have had it - his company does business with China and someone may have traveled there before everything got locked down.
    As far as reinfection - it's not clear if it's reinfection or if the illness didn't completely go away, or if the virus went dormant / hid from detection.

Yeah, I had the same type of illness in December. At the time I even said, "This is different to any other illness." Coughing that wouldn't stop, lasted a month. Then I got a sinus infection and was sick for another two weeks. I didn't go to the doctor, but with the sinus infection I was considering it - they can turn on you. I have a lot of close contact with children and Chinese nationals living here in the Seattle area as well as other tourists.

I believe it was here long before February. No way to know if that's what I had. In a way I hope it was...

The flu lab here was testing for it under the radar. You may have seen the news story, it's interesting.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/seattle-flu-study-allegedly-tested-samples-for-covid-19-against-federal-state-guidelines

https://livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

"A 55-year-old individual from Hubei province in China may have been the first person to have contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus spreading across the globe. That case dates back to Nov. 17, 2019, according to the South Morning China Post."

Assuming China was ground Zero we can assume it came by plane to the USA at least by Nov 2019. You link info concerns me as to why testing for COVID-19 should have been a no no by Federal mandate.