Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Does anyone else work for a company that seems to be completely ignoring this altogether? I have received no communication from our leadership team whatsoever. I am extremely disappointed rn ...

That's got to be extremely frustrating. I was pretty surprised when it took my school district 2-3 days before saying anything--and now it's been about a week since the first universities started to close and CDC began to recommend social distancing. Can you ask someone for guidance? Seems irresponsible to be ignoring the CDC recommendations so completely.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Just checking stats--of the 5500 or so cases in the US as of midday today, the origins of 4300 were unknown--that is, community spread. I sure hope people are finally staying home.

What's your source? my husband has found a lot of sources and I'd like to pass that along.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Does anyone else work for a company that seems to be completely ignoring this altogether? I have received no communication from our leadership team whatsoever. I am extremely disappointed rn ...

I'm sorry to hear that. My company isn't ignoring it per sé, but they're very adamant about people not working from home unless they're actually sick. "We expect people to show up to work unless they're sick," has been said multiple times since last Friday when our city's first case was announced.

For companies that have the capability for people to work from home, especially if they don't have clients that require face-to-face contact, I really see no reason not to allow WFH. Really, every company should have some response prepared for their employees discussing the issue, regardless of whether people can work from home. Communication is key to alleviating confusion and stress.

Given what we're learning about asymptomatic transmission, this seems willfully stubborn.

I agree. We're a bank, so there is some measure of people who have to stay in order to service clients, but there are definitely people who could work from home without it causing any problems. In my opinion they should be encouraging those that can to work from home. Unfortunately, from conversations I've overhead around the office in the past few days, there are a lot of people who still believe everything is being blown out of proportion.

I think you said you're a computer security person? I'm musing (i.e., not expecting you to have an answer) about how many companies now resisting work-from-home have been foot-dragging about it heretofore, as a half-**sed security strategy, and are now paying for (or panicked about) that. Dysfunctional management, in the form of under-planning and under-responding, can be dysfunctional in multiple ways.

It's been a long time now since I retired from IT, but back then, there was a huge range of responses among organizations needing to do disaster planning (needing, in order to pass audits, and such). Some recognized the risk issues, and made it real planning. Some just did some hand-waving and created a shelf-ware report to get their auditors to check a box on some audit questionnaire, unfortunately. Pandemics should/could have been one of those planning scenarios.

Do you think banks may be more on top of the issues, having been through close scrutiny since the last recession, and because of personal-data compromises? Versus, say, manufacturing companies or the like, who haven't had those same kinds of experiences over the last decade or so?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I agree, Igfrie. Oklahoma cases nearly doubled, 10 to 17 overnight. 2 of the last four of the first 10 were private tests. I have not heard how many of the last 7 were private, but those 2 didn’t qualify for the government tests. How late were we in finding cases because we didn’t test anyone because we didn’t know who to test?