Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Speaking of bleach, does everyone know it has about a six month shelf life before it expires?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Speaking of bleach, does everyone know it has about a six month shelf life before it expires?

So you're saying in garages full of containers of bleach and packages of TP, it's the bleach that will look like a bad purchase first? :lol:

BTW I did not know bleach expires. The more you know...
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?
    That’s my question... because, I admit quite selfishly, I don’t want to use my pretty fabric if they are just going to be tossed :neutral: I have a resource for quite a bit of older fabric I was told I could have, though!

ETA: thanks for the added info! I was posting and hubby came in from work so there was a few minutes lag, enough time for others to chime in!

My mother and I were just laughing yesterday about people making fabric masks. We're pretty sure every quilter on the planet of Earth is probably chortling about how this is the time they've been waiting for all their lives--a deep societal need for items made from all the fabric remnants they've been stashing for years! :D

I know the introverts thought this was their time to shine, but it looks like it's the quilters that are going to save the world!

Being a crafter myself, I feel like the Venn diagram of quilters and introverts has a pretty decent-sized overlap.

There are a bunch of introverts who don't quilt . . . but my experience suggests that quite a fraction of quilters are introverts. ;)
    Introvert quilter here. Wave. Donating these masks to my local hospital. Once you get rolling on making these it gets faster Lol
    Introvert quilter here as well! :smirk:
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    CA currently has 3879 positive tests, with 78 deaths. Given the number of deaths I think the positives are low. There are a ton of pending tests and only about 21,000 completed tests.

Flipping through states not reported on recently, I see 64 deaths in GA, 119 in LA (related to the NO outbreak, no doubt), 35 in MD, 92 in MI (that's awful, I didn't know that, and the testing looks really low, suggesting many more positives than currently reported), and 108 in NJ.

You’re right about CA. True number around 45,000~ makes more sense

The other states, barring MD are in that range or higher given this is exponential and not linear.

I’m hopeful that there are effects to this virus we don’t fully understand - we know that in some cases high heat and humidity can reduce its Ro but it hasn’t been consistent. Maybe CA has those two things and something else too
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How did Germany anticipate this well enough to have a good supply of tests available? Availability of the tests seems to be a major problem, at least in the US.

THAT my dear is everyone's question. Or they are prepared for this. Most governments were caught with their pants down and no plan. I don't understand it because at least 15 years ago The Center for Disease Control in Atlanta was working on the possibility of an unstoppable virus. I read many articles on the topic and how they went into remote areas of the world to collect samples to try and stay ahead of any virus. What happened? I am dissapoint. :'(

There was an interview on NPR the other day that speaks to this, to some extent. (It's an interview with Max Brooks, author of "World War Z" (Zombie book!), but also a real-life disaster planning expert.)

I've tinyurl-ed the link because the link is basically the headline, and and the headline is too click-bait-y for my taste. The interview was interesting and provocative, but I won't go much further to claim that it's authoritative. Use your own judgement. It's not specifically partisan politics, but there is very strong criticism of US actions, not all of it aimed at the current administration.

I promise this links to Fresh Air at NPR.

https://tinyurl.com/thv86y2

ETA: I know it's long (41 minutes), but I recommend the full audio interview over the summary text version. It's more nuanced, among other reasons. Your favorite podcast app may have Fresh Air; this was the Max Brooks interview, broadcast on (IIRC) 3/24.

Thanks for the NPR link. I’m afraid of what a reckoning might look like if current camps blindly hold onto their own views. That is to stay, if they don’t listen to Max Brooks’ last line.

Reminds me of Michael Lewis’ The Fifth Risk.....scary
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    IL has actually been pretty proactive in testing and has been testing a bunch since we got the tests to do that. IL currently has done 21,576 tests, which is only behind CA, FL, MA, NY, PA, TX, and WA. Plus, positives per test in IL are 14%, vs 18% in CA, 9% in FL, 11% in MA, 35% in NJ, 31% in NY, 10% in PA, 7% in TX, and 7% in WA. That suggests that FL, MA, PA, and TX have been testing even more without serious symptoms, but that CA, and esp NJ and NY have been testing fewer as a percentage of those who may have it. WA, of course, had the earliest outbreak so has been testing longer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Spoke too soon. After 2 days of a downward trend in new cases, the North jumped again. Sigh.

Do you hear any reasons why Germany has a much lower death rate than Italy?

Because Germany has been way more proactive in testing and tracking, not just social distancing and shutting things down. The last I checked, Germany was testing 160K + per day and immediately quarantining those infected and then tracing their movements and contacts and quarantining those individuals as well. From what I understand in Italy, it was much the same as the USA...an early laissez faire approach and attitude and only really testing when people are symptomatic to leave a whole bunch of non symptomatic people who are infected running around and infecting others

South Korea had the same general approach as Germany, and both of those countries have fared far better than anyone else in this.

Russia only has 800 or so cases right now (only about 100 more cases than were on one cruise ship, the Diamond Princess) and 3 deaths, with a population nearly twice that of Germany (about 44,000 cases/267 deaths) and about three times that of South Korea (about 9,000 cases/139 deaths).

I just noticed that on the Johns Hopkins covid tracker site, and got curious how they were handling it. There's an interesting New Yorker piece speculating on whether they're just lucky or doing a great job.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/why-is-russias-coronavirus-case-count-so-low

Or cooking the books.

I assume that Russia has tighter controls on who goes in and out of the country, and is in a better position to force someone who arrives in the country to be tested and effectively quarantined. That, the state controlled media, and the vast sparsely populated areas would IMHO make it likely to be one of the last European countries to show outwardly obvious signs of clusters and overwhelm. Just my barely informed view from across the pond though!

I'd be inclined to agree on the cooking the books. While I completely disagree with my best friend who thinks all the numbers are bogus and being ramped high to scare the world into crashing the economy (we have agreed to disagree on this one), I also don't believe all the numbers I see, such as the numbers given for Iran. I don't trust anything coming from a regime known to lie in the past and to oppress their people. (not meant to start a political discussion!) And as we've seen here in the US, it also depends on how well and how many people they are testing. WE know the actual number of cases in the US is already higher because of the lack of testing and the restraints that many states are putting on testing - such as only testing those with symptoms or, as in the case in WV, only testing those with symptoms that are life threatening.

Just curious: Do you think Iran is overreporting or underreporting?

ETA "think"