Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    The Italian part of Switzerland is reaching a critical number of cases. If it continues as is, they'll be out of space in the intensive care units for critical cases by Monday at the latest. The doctors and nursing staff are exhausted and reaching breaking point. One doctor described the situation as a war zone. Between civil and military ambulances and helicopter transport, the stream of patients isn't slowing down.

They'll be transporting critical patients to other parts of the country, but there's no guarantee that those parts won't be hit hard either.

That we "only" have 27 deaths in 2700 odd cases is probably sheer luck. What's frightning is that more and more younger patients are being admitted to ICU because of how serious their condition is.

So far, we're in semi lock down. Most non-essential shops, museums, cinemas etc are closed. We'll probably soon follow France into a complete lock down.

Sadly, you're our twin. Wishing you the best. It's hard to watch those numbers.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.

What they've been saying is that we are following Italy's track, which of course has changed over time. I've seen nothing that disputes that.

Re the Monday statement from the surgeon general:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago

by: Associated Press

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT / Updated: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died. There are about 3,800 cases reported in the United States and so far, more than 65 people have died from coronavirus.

Read more: https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/us-surgeon-general-us-cases-are-where-italy-was-2-weeks-ago/

And now we've got over 30,000 cases, over 3,000 dead, over 2,500 recovered. They are going to try blood transfusions from recovered to critical cases. I'm not being precise on the numbers because they're changing rapidly.

Interesting. I presume they are hoping that the transfusions would allow some immune support.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    My office has started dispensing latex gloves for the commute. We are asked not to wear them in the office. Most people are working from home already.

What is their logic in not having employees wear gloves in the office? I'm asking sincerely, I'm not sure how to word it without sounding confrontational.

I think I can answer that. I wear them grocery shopping, put them on just before entering and take off just after paying--then throw away. I pay cash. Also take off, rolling inside out. Wearing gloves is discouraged for the general populace because it gives a false sense of safety (people touch their faces, reuse the gloves......) and can lead to contamination. Now that's what we were told, but there might be another explanation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My office has started dispensing latex gloves for the commute. We are asked not to wear them in the office. Most people are working from home already.

What is their logic in not having employees wear gloves in the office? I'm asking sincerely, I'm not sure how to word it without sounding confrontational.

It's airborne and we don't have enough gloves and masks for our first responders, do they don't want people panic buying them. The general public can wash their hands and not touch their faces. We NEED the docs, nurses, people that do X-Rays, hospital workers and first responders to have these for now. I see us in a couple of months having them for the general public (older and immuno compromised first).

What is your evidence for it being airborne? I have seen nothing to suggest this.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.

What they've been saying is that we are following Italy's track, which of course has changed over time. I've seen nothing that disputes that.

Re the Monday statement from the surgeon general:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago

by: Associated Press

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT / Updated: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died. There are about 3,800 cases reported in the United States and so far, more than 65 people have died from coronavirus.

Read more: https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/us-surgeon-general-us-cases-are-where-italy-was-2-weeks-ago/

And now we've got over 30,000 cases, over 3,000 dead, over 2,500 recovered. They are going to try blood transfusions from recovered to critical cases. I'm not being precise on the numbers because they're changing rapidly.

Interesting. I presume they are hoping that the transfusions would allow some immune support.

Here is some information on how that works
    https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/13/covid-19-antibody-sera-arturo-casadevall/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure gloves indoors would be much of a protection. Gloves in public transit, absolutely (although I have thankfully been able to quit public transit, likely later than I should have). But a lot of the issue is touching your face after touching something, and that would probably be as easy or even easier with gloves, and people wearing gloves would seem likely not to wash their hands (gloved, I guess) as often.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I just found a great Washington Post article with simulators showing the advantages of social distancing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It's airborne and we don't have enough gloves and masks for our first responders, do they don't want people panic buying them. The general public can wash their hands and not touch their faces. We NEED the docs, nurses, people that do X-Rays, hospital workers and first responders to have these for now. I see us in a couple of months having them for the general public (older and immuno compromised first).

What is your evidence for it being airborne? I have seen nothing to suggest this.

Agreed. It is still considered aerosol droplet. I haven't heard any evidence that it stays airborne.