Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?
    That’s my question... because, I admit quite selfishly, I don’t want to use my pretty fabric if they are just going to be tossed :neutral: I have a resource for quite a bit of older fabric I was told I could have, though!

ETA: thanks for the added info! I was posting and hubby came in from work so there was a few minutes lag, enough time for others to chime in!

My mother and I were just laughing yesterday about people making fabric masks. We're pretty sure every quilter on the planet of Earth is probably chortling about how this is the time they've been waiting for all their lives--a deep societal need for items made from all the fabric remnants they've been stashing for years! :D

I know the introverts thought this was their time to shine, but it looks like it's the quilters that are going to save the world!

Being a crafter myself, I feel like the Venn diagram of quilters and introverts has a pretty decent-sized overlap.

There are a bunch of introverts who don't quilt . . . but my experience suggests that quite a fraction of quilters are introverts. ;)

My mother quilted at home alone, but for my grandmother, aunt, and sister, it is at least in part a social pursuit. Of course they work on stuff at home alone, but they also work together on projects with other people, sometimes quilting a single quilt together (what used to be called a quilting bee), other times getting together for classes on new techniques for making blocks, or going on trips together to various quilting destinations, gathering for quilt shows, etc.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

Just curious: Do you think Iran is overreporting or underreporting?

ETA "think"

could go either way, though I'd lean more toward under-reporting. At the very least, I'd have more trust in what was being posted online by individual citizens than what the government there report - this is the country that just recently tried to cover up that they had shot down a civilian plane after all.

Then again, I think the under-reporting is happening everywhere, for reasons ranging from a desire to suppress numbers in some places, probably, but mainly because of lack of testing and many mildly symptomatic people not getting tested or thinking to ask to be tested. Its like when I look at the map and see that there aren't that many cases showing up in Africa being reported. I'd love to think that's because it hasn't spread much there, but then I think of the plight of many of the people on that continent and realize that testing is probably non-existent there just because resources are so scarce.

Where would I go to find the currently mortality statistics for the 2019-2020 flu season? I've tried the CDC and the WHO and can't make heads or tails of what they are showing and can't find a total cumulative number to compare to.

I keep hearing 30,000 bandied about, but I don't know if that is supposed to be total US flu deaths or world flu deaths.

And the map confirms now that there definitely has been a case now reported in my county.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Where would I go to find the currently mortality statistics for the 2019-2020 flu season? I've tried the CDC and the WHO and can't make heads or tails of what they are showing and can't find a total cumulative number to compare to.

I keep hearing 30,000 bandied about, but I don't know if that is supposed to be total US flu deaths or world flu deaths.

And the map confirms now that there definitely has been a case now reported in my county.

It varies a lot by year, but according to this (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html) that number would have been for the US (and would actually likely have been higher). Last year was a bad flu season, and I think I'd heard that this one was too.

This is useful: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm#hospitalizations

"CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year. There are several reasons for this. First, states are not required to report individual flu illnesses or deaths among people older than 18 years of age to CDC. Second, influenza is infrequently listed on death certificates of people who die from flu-related complications. Third, many flu-related deaths occur one or two weeks after a person’s initial infection, either because the person may develop a secondary bacterial co-infection (such as bacterial pneumonia) or because influenza can aggravate an existing chronic illness (such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Also, most people who die from flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples. Sensitive influenza tests are only likely to detect influenza if performed within a week after onset of illness. In addition, some commonly used tests to diagnose influenza in clinical settings are not highly sensitive and can provide false negative results (i.e. they misdiagnose flu illness as not being flu.) For these reasons, many flu-related deaths may not be recorded on death certificates. These are some of the reasons that CDC and other public health agencies in the United States and other countries use statistical and mathematical models to estimate the annual number of flu-related deaths."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited March 2020
    Thanks to everyone for such thoughtful and intelligent insights.

Here in Washington where the nursing home outbreak was the canary in the coal mine, there are two articles/reports after reviewing this nursing home. It seems they are discussing mitigation and mistakes made. I haven't read them yet, but they're on the front page of our state's COVID response daily update page in case anyone wants to read them. The studies were released yesterday:

New England Journal of Medicine - Epidemiology of Covid-19 in a Long-Term Care Facility in King County, Washington
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6913e1.htm?s_cid=mm6913e1_w

CDC - Asymptomatic and Presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections in Residents of a Long-Term Care Skilled Nursing Facility — King County, Washington, March 2020
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2005412
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @snowflake954 Lol! The mask is going to be the fashion accessory to have in 2020 and beyond.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?

Not Ann but: They can be washed and re-used BUT they must be made of 100% cotton tightly woven or finely knit fabric which can withstand the high temps needed to properly sanitize them. Most are using quilting cottons which also gives a nice selection of cute prints.

News from Italy---Giorgio Armani is going to making masks, as are other fashion houses here. You ladies are going to have some stiff competition for the most fashionable mask. ;)<3;)

Christian Siriano also put his sewers to work making them. Project Runway, mask edition.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Here's a very good piece summarizing information known about the coronavirus: https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/tip-iceberg-virologist-david-ho-bs-74-speaks-about-covid-19

Some bits are a little outdated, but not terribly so.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @snowflake954 Lol! The mask is going to be the fashion accessory to have in 2020 and beyond.

Can't you just see the fashion models walking the catwalk next year in masks? We'll all be wearing them. :D
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 597 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There was an interview on NPR the other day that speaks to this, to some extent. (It's an interview with Max Brooks, author of "World War Z" (Zombie book!), but also a real-life disaster planning expert.)

I've tinyurl-ed the link because the link is basically the headline, and and the headline is too click-bait-y for my taste. The interview was interesting and provocative, but I won't go much further to claim that it's authoritative. Use your own judgement. It's not specifically partisan politics, but there is very strong criticism of US actions, not all of it aimed at the current administration.

I promise this links to Fresh Air at NPR.

https://tinyurl.com/thv86y2

ETA: I know it's long (41 minutes), but I recommend the full audio interview over the summary text version. It's more nuanced, among other reasons. Your favorite podcast app may have Fresh Air; this was the Max Brooks interview, broadcast on (IIRC) 3/24.

The interview really helps put a lot of things into perspective, and I appreciate that he is a self-taught expert whose expertise is recognized by the U.S. Military. I also respect that he doesn't blame one person and identifies where others--including the majority of us--can take action to prevent this scenario from unfolding again.

Thanks for sharing the link.

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 597 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Here's a very good piece summarizing information known about the coronavirus: https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/tip-iceberg-virologist-david-ho-bs-74-speaks-about-covid-19

Some bits are a little outdated, but not terribly so.

Still valuable; thanks.