Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I can see that pet grooming is sort of essential - not the fancy stuff but basic cutting of dogs with fur that needs cutting.

Also landscaping - if we want people to stay home and do home things we would be contradicting that if garden shops were closed.
    As well as basic repairs of hoses, fences etc. and basic equipment like weeding implements, buckets, etc.

Landscaping yes, and they can do it entirely outside, but I'm skeptical about pet grooming. But they could do it with complete social distancing.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    The brothels in rural Nevada, which initially stayed open with extra safeguards, have now been shut down as nonessential.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I can see that pet grooming is sort of essential - not the fancy stuff but basic cutting of dogs with fur that needs cutting.

Also landscaping - if we want people to stay home and do home things we would be contradicting that if garden shops were closed.
    As well as basic repairs of hoses, fences etc. and basic equipment like weeding implements, buckets, etc.

Landscaping yes, and they can do it entirely outside, but I'm skeptical about pet grooming. But they could do it with complete social distancing.

some dogs dont shed hair and it needs to be cut (eg poodles) For the dog's health and comfort, not appearance.

Not everyone would have equipment or confidence or ability to do that themselves.

although I guess they could limit it to groomers who bring their van to you types rather than places you take the dog to.
    The groomer who does our dog comes to our place but doesnt come into our house at all - would be easy enough to tie dog up on the porch rail for her to collect and vice versa when done and owner and groomer keep well away from each other.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    The brothels in rural Nevada, which initially stayed open with extra safeguards, have now been shut down as nonessential.

*raises eyebrow* I mean, how would you even begin to practice 6 ft minimum social distance in this case? Actually, I take that back - I really don't want to know.......lol

But businesses that need to be open to survive are lobbying to be declared essential -- I got an email from a pet grooming place (which I have never used, I have cats and they would be horrified) that claimed pet grooming had been declared essential in NY and they they were still trying to change IL's mind, and a landscaper/yard care place I used one emailed relieved that they had been declared essential.

I've got a cat that gets himself shaved once or twice a year. 3 of my 5 have maine coon in them and have that thick, long fur with a dense undercoat. 1 almost never gets mats at all; I've probably only had to cut one off of her in her 8 year lifetime. The 2nd will get them near her tail, and I sometimes have to pin her down to clip the fur in that area for hygiene reasons but that's because she is so darned fat that she can't reach that area very well to groom herself (how do you put a fat cat on a diet when she's the kind that hovers like a vulture just waiting for food while you've got 2 skittish ones that want to graze a little now and then and you aren't home all day?) Anyway, the 3rd one never bathes himself. I can probably count on one 1 hand the number of times I've actually seen this cat give himself a minor licking. He gets really grungy and since I don't have 8 arms to be able to hold him down and clip him myself, he goes to the vet and gets shaved in the summer.

My husband is considered essential, and was trying to figure out just who wasn’t included on the list :lol: He was working from home so we drove into town during his lunch to check things out (didn’t get out of the car), but yeah, most everything was open minus a few storefronts (hair, consignment, can’t remember what else). Everything else had lights on and running (mostly restaurants, pharmacies, and banks I guess).

yup; not very many places are actually under that order when you look at the list, including places of worship (cause its not like the old timers like my 90 year old grandfather won't stubbornly go to church on Sunday if the doors are open, stay in place orders or no.....)
    KOOL
    The Beckley Crossroads Mall is closed except for Rural King and Pet Smart, and I get why places like those or Tractor Supply and such are open because of feed needs for various pets and farm animals, and spring planting and such still need supplies. And I also understand grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and convenience stores staying open.

I also understand the need and desire to keep as many places open as possible and retain as many jobs as possible, even if the hours are shortened - I guess some sort of paycheck is better than none at all!

However, the flip side is that people are people and my life's philosophy has always been that people are stupid, and its one thing that I have yet to see proven wrong. There are a good many people in my area that don't care about the orders for social distancing; if there's a place to go, they're going to go just because. And I'm not sure really how you can control that; even if you had the police and national guard making patrols in a martial law like situation, all they have to say is that they are going to the grocery/pharmacy/pet store whatever for "essentials".

The company I retired from 2 years ago, emailed letters to the employees last night, that they have to keep in their vehicles, for if they get stopped and asked where they are going. The state of Minnesota is initiating stay at home order starting tomorrow. The company is essential, construction related.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020

some dogs dont shed hair and it needs to be cut (eg poodles) For the dog's health and comfort, not appearance.

Okay. I didn't know it was needed for heath or comfort.

It should be pretty easy for them to operate like my vet is, with curbside handoffs, even in places where they are open.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Here, in Italy, you need permission to go many places that are still open. The permission is downloaded from internet and you need to print it with all your data, and where you are going--example: bank or your doctor, or work. If you are stopped by the police, you must produce the document and they will sometimes call to verify that you really have that appointment. The fine runs from $400--$3000. My husband announced that he was going to the bank the next day. I said "I hope you've got your permission slip filled out" He replied "But I have an appointment". I said " Good, then get that paper filled out". This is a very smart man. Sigh. I told him that if he was stopped, it was like throwing money out the window.

Wow - definitely not even close to that here yet. My sister was told to make sure she had her apron with her and was supposed to be given a letter if anyone asked, and my own employer (the local electric utility) stated that if we needed to head out somewhere for work to make sure we had our badges with us and were issuing letters to contractors and suppliers, but there hasn't been any indication yet that we will be pulled over and questioned by the state government, let alone fined. Course where I live, internet connectivity is extremely limited and very few households actually have it at home, so printing out a proof form would be very difficult for many people.

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 585 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    I had trouble sleeping last night and woke up with a headache. I cannot imagine how the people of New York are feeling right now. Cuomo said on Tuesday that they anticipate needing 33,000 more ventilators. That number may be down to 26,000; I don't know. But the solution has been in the hands of one person for weeks--order the manufacture of ventilators and PPE. Americans could have produced hundreds of thousands in the time we have known about this, and still could have produced thousands when Cuomo asked for them. But nothing. Nothing from our administration. The only conclusion I can draw is that he intends to let people die. Someone please tell me I am wrong, and explain it to me. I'm sick about this.

Not getting political about it, just a general observation. In all walks of life, there are people who have the experience and executive functioning skills to respond well and appropriately in a crisis, like taking appropriate safety measures and helping others: we see them on the news all the time.

Some folks just don't have those tools: we see them on the news all the time, too. The only thing the appropriate people can do is support each other and set boundaries as best as can do for those who are not. It's not ideal, but it's what we have.

Thank you; that's helpful. I'm still wondering why those with the skills are not having more of an impact on those without.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Follow up to the posts yesterday about people continuing to play sports in the parks and be in groups on the lakefront parks and the trail: Chicago mayor has closed the lakefront and certain (maybe all) parks and trails. Trib is reporting this, but says they don't yet know whether all city parks were closed or just the ones along the lakefront.

I'm going to be sad if they are all closed, as I don't live close to the lakefront anyway, but am close to a river trail that has been much less populated, and I haven't seen big groups there at all. It's no harder to avoid people running there than in my neighborhood.