What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto! I like the batter and frosting but not a fan of cake at all!

I'm the same with donuts... LOVE custard filled or cream filled! And feel this way about cupcakes

In our family, there's a liking for the coating of sweets and such more than the interior: we used to eat the icing off a Yodel and relish it more than the cake interior; ditto with Hostess cupcakes: we'd take the icing off, demolish the cake without noticing, but linger over the chocolate icing and the swirl; muffin tops more than the body; all that sort of thing.

Personally, I've never been fond of custards, puddings, and such. My theory is that, in general, I like food that is either solid or liquid, and not in between.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto! I like the batter and frosting but not a fan of cake at all!

I'm the same with donuts... LOVE custard filled or cream filled! And feel this way about cupcakes

In our family, there's a liking for the coating of sweets and such more than the interior: we used to eat the icing off a Yodel and relish it more than the cake interior; ditto with Hostess cupcakes: we'd take the icing off, demolish the cake without noticing, but linger over the chocolate icing and the swirl; muffin tops more than the body; all that sort of thing.

Personally, I've never been fond of custards, puddings, and such. My theory is that, in general, I like food that is either solid or liquid, and not in between.

Toaster strudel icing packets were crack growing up haha. Or the little cup of frosting from the cinnamon rolls. ALSO, with those little cakes with icing I would peel off the icing and eat it. And eat the inside of Twinkies. And swiss rolls I would unroll and eat the inside as well... guess you and me are the same! :D
  • ejbronte
    Looks that way! Yes, with Yodels/swiss rolls, there was a whole ritual of denuding the top, trying to keep the icing as whole as possible; and then the unrolling and eating of the roll itself. Strudel, yes! They should make cakes that are only strudel....
  • pancakerunner
    Looks that way! Yes, with Yodels/swiss rolls, there was a whole ritual of denuding the top, trying to keep the icing as whole as possible; and then the unrolling and eating of the roll itself. Strudel, yes! They should make cakes that are only strudel....

vitpqrv5pq10.png

I can literally feel this picture haha
  • ejbronte

vitpqrv5pq10.png

Yes, me too! with that nice little "foot" on the side that detached so cleanly. Ah, memories...!
  • pancakerunner

vitpqrv5pq10.png

Yes, me too! with that nice little "foot" on the side that detached so cleanly. Ah, memories...!

These bring back memories too haha

cebf4oytownd.jpg
    7suynrnfnsrs.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Back with another one: both beef and pork are extremely overrated.
  • ejbronte

vitpqrv5pq10.png

cebf4oytownd.jpg
    7suynrnfnsrs.jpg

Those are unfamiliar to me, but they look really tempting. Icing on the bottom, too? Hmm, strategy needed to get the most out of this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

My mom used to make apple crisp with a strudel topping, just sugar/flour/butter. At at certain young age - old enough to cook, young enough to do dumb stuff ;) - I can remember just making the strudel topping, baking and eating it.** This is still an available option. :lol:

**Personally, my tastes have changed (and long since, well before pursuing weight loss). On the rare occasions I make apple crisp, I prefer a heartier topping with some oatmeal, maybe chopped walnuts, sweetened certainly, but way less sugar/butter. Mom's version tastes way too sweet to me, now. It had a nice crunch, though, and I fondly remember how, when baked atop the sliced apples, it was crunchy on top but soft on the bottom. :smile: :yum:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    edited March 2020

vitpqrv5pq10.png

cebf4oytownd.jpg
    7suynrnfnsrs.jpg

Those are unfamiliar to me, but they look really tempting. Icing on the bottom, too? Hmm, strategy needed to get the most out of this.

Little Debbie zebra cakes?

Finally tried those and they were ok. I'm not a fan of white chocolate, tho, but I kinda wanted it for the creamy inside (I think I had the roll version...not much cream in that).

I DID buy the Mrs Freshley's version of ho ho/swiss cake rolls at the 99 cent store. 100 calories each roll so woo!
  • pancakerunner
    13moj26edpga.jpg

these have a very special place in my heart as well...
  • ejbronte
    glassyo wrote: »

vitpqrv5pq10.png

cebf4oytownd.jpg
    7suynrnfnsrs.jpg

Little Debbie zebra cakes?

Finally tried those and they were ok. I'm not a fan of white chocolate, tho, but I kinda wanted it for the creamy inside (I think I had the roll version...not much cream in that).

I DID buy the Mrs Freshley's version of ho ho/swiss cake rolls at the 99 cent store. 100 calories each roll so woo!

Possibly. We weren't Little Debbie people, growing up. For us it was Hostess and Evingers. When Evingers went out of business, first we all cried and then we resorted to Entenmanns.
  • ejbronte
    13moj26edpga.jpg

My father loved the vanillas. He also liked Social Teas and Nilla Wafers. I remember he would dunk the Social Teas into his sweetened coffee, but never the Wafers.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Alfredo sauce is gross.
    If I'm having pasta, it needs to be with a tomato-based sauce.
  • pancakerunner
    13moj26edpga.jpg

My father loved the vanillas. He also liked Social Teas and Nilla Wafers. I remember he would dunk the Social Teas into his sweetened coffee, but never the Wafers.

I was always a fan of the strawberry!
  • pancakerunner
    Alfredo sauce is gross.
    If I'm having pasta, it needs to be with a tomato-based sauce.

I love alfredo, but not on pasta... I like it on vegetables haha
  • sarahcollver
    sarahcollver Posts: 4 Member
    High carb high fiber diets are the healthiest
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Mayonnaise is the devil's jism and the foul, manky gunk ruins everything it touches.

Any flavour of Jaffa cake other than orange is wrong. Especially pineapple and cherry. Stop faffing with a classic.

Rich Tea biscuits are seriously underrated. They're not plain or bland, they are merely unfussy and all the better for it. The perfect dunking biccy.
  • NotSoFat70
    NotSoFat70 Posts: 304 Member
    I hate corn. The smell of it makes me feel like 🤢🤮