What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    NotSoFat70 wrote: »
    I hate corn. The smell of it makes me feel like 🤢🤮

I love it but don't eat it often because it doesn't sit well with my stomach. :(
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I used to have issues with corn, but they seem to have gone away. I also love it, but mostly only eat it when it's in season. I have a farm share and get overwhelmed with it for a while in the summer. I did pick up a bag of frozen corn for my stay at home time.
  • lemurcat2
    Frosting on brownies is a travesty, period.
  • pancakerunner
    kimny72 wrote: »
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

Agreed, frosting is only necessary on dry brownies, and dry brownies are an abomination so you might as well just have an actual cupcake.

Yep!

Wrong:

k78o9mrel3wp.jpg

Right:

dlte3whcrbm9.jpg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »

You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!

I know it's not essential, but I just added brownie mix to my shopping list, assuming I can just grab it off the shelf if I'm already in the aisle anyway :blush:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I know it's not essential, but I just added brownie mix to my shopping list, assuming I can just grab it off the shelf if I'm already in the aisle anyway :blush:

Arguing that brownies aren't essential . . . a whole unpopular opinion in and of itself, at least for me! :p
  • pancakerunner

Arguing that brownies aren't essential . . . a whole unpopular opinion in and of itself, at least for me! :p

Brownies are ESSENTIAL in crisis. They will heal the world I'm sure of it.

sq8nl5stir9k.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2020

Brownies are ESSENTIAL in crisis. They will heal the world I'm sure of it.

I actually searched pantry-ingredient friendly brownie recipes after seeing this thread earlier. I'm going to do my part! (100% frosting-free, of course).

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Jumping on board the frosting train...
    I once had a friend who firmly believed that white frosting belonged on apple pie.
    Umm, no. Apple pie is delicious. Frosting is delicious. How dare you ruin them by putting them together.
  • pancakerunner
    Jumping on board the frosting train...
    I once had a friend who firmly believed that white frosting belonged on apple pie.
    Umm, no. Apple pie is delicious. Frosting is delicious. How dare you ruin them by putting them together.

I can see this actually... kind of like icing on apple strudel??
  • pancakerunner
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

Agreed.
  • lemurcat2
    Correct. I am not aware of cookies with frosting being a thing, but they should not be.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member

The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.
  • pancakerunner
    ejbronte wrote: »

There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.

There is a distinction to be made between frosting, icing and ganache on cookies. Ginger cookies or lemon cookies with a thin icing... amazing. Chocolate cookies with a layer of chocolate ganache.. yes please. Sugar cookies with thick globs of frosting? Hard pass.
  • lemurcat2
    Cookies should not have icing, period,