Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I got the 2019 business paperwork packed away. Went through the 2009 paperwork, threw most out. Have a pile of papers to shred, but am working on that every day. Shredder gets emptied every time the garbage goes out. I know its maintenance but I'm thrilled with myself for actually keeping up with something.

YES girl...you're doing fabulous and I'm soooo HAPPY/THRILLED for you {{{ <3 Love and Hugs <3 }}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    No organizing or de-clutting for me for awhile. I tripped and fell down at home and broke my right wrist (radius and ulna). I'm on a full arm cast, miserable, in pain, limited, and frustrated :'( . Hard to type with my left hand. I will check-in when I can but I do/follow your postings.

:confounded::cry: <3

Man oh MAN...I'm so sorry to hear this my boo! I will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts AND prayers! Hears to a speedy recovery and hoping that you will be feeling beter soon!

{{{ <3 Love and Hugs <3 }}}}

tenor.gif

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Boyfriend recognized that he wasn't going to use it, didn't want to move it, and that I wasn't anywhere near the point of being able to do free weights. So he and I took his weight bench apart and we took it to a sporting goods resale shop, and let it free to go to someone else. Now all the big stuff that I didn't know what to do with is out of the garage, and I can pack it up. That way the stuff in the garage is ready to move, but also I can stack all the boxes that I have packed in there, and it makes it easier to stage the house. (Also easier to move; we can just open the garage door and let them have at it.)

You are doing soooooo well--mega YAY YOU!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Here's something I've done today, that I really should be doing more regularly--cleaning my Keurig coffee maker. Keurig recommends descaling your brewer at least every 3 to 6 months depending on your water source.

GUEST_ce1bbf8a-5874-4dfc-bf82-c7176174f9f2?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

I found these kits at Marshalls for $7.99
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    GreenValli wrote: »
    I definitely am not even close to a hoarder, but I do have an attachment to a lot of my stuff! We had to move in December because the owners of the house wanted to move back in their 4 bedroom house we had been renting. It was too big of a job to be able to get rid of enough stuff. Hey, I am still a working gal! We had to find a new place, too. Our garage was full, too, including a lots of educational materials from many different classes I have taught, and various levels, too. We found a 2 bedroom condo but no garage available. I was determined not to have to pay for a storage unit. I donated so much. Donated to my grandson's school, Goodwill, Salvation Army, the local library, and church.

But here it is March and I still have bins and boxes on our patio outside. Cannot find a lot of things I truly need. I know somehow we lost a lot of things I wish we had. No hats, lost our umbrellas, my big roasting pan, some of my clothes, etc. We hired movers to move the big major items and big boxes, but moved the rest ourselves. Exhausting! Wish I had gotten rid of more things before I had to deal with the chaos of stuffing everything in a large house into a small condo.

So think if you will live in the same place where you are now forever. If you say "no" or "maybe", do consider decluttering seriously!

I am hoping to move in the next couple years. I'm trying to go through everything in the house, because I really don't want to move anything we don't use or want.
  • Currently we have a rule: I stack boxes in the open room (currently the library) at the top of the stairs. People are to grab one and bring it with them when they come downstairs. They are none of them big or all that heavy; I'm careful about that. But that does mean there are a lot of boxes.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    I definitely am not even close to a hoarder, but I do have an attachment to a lot of my stuff! We had to move in December because the owners of the house wanted to move back in their 4 bedroom house we had been renting. It was too big of a job to be able to get rid of enough stuff. Hey, I am still a working gal! We had to find a new place, too. Our garage was full, too, including a lots of educational materials from many different classes I have taught, and various levels, too. We found a 2 bedroom condo but no garage available. I was determined not to have to pay for a storage unit. I donated so much. Donated to my grandson's school, Goodwill, Salvation Army, the local library, and church.

But here it is March and I still have bins and boxes on our patio outside. Cannot find a lot of things I truly need. I know somehow we lost a lot of things I wish we had. No hats, lost our umbrellas, my big roasting pan, some of my clothes, etc. We hired movers to move the big major items and big boxes, but moved the rest ourselves. Exhausting! Wish I had gotten rid of more things before I had to deal with the chaos of stuffing everything in a large house into a small condo.

So think if you will live in the same place where you are now forever. If you say "no" or "maybe", do consider decluttering seriously!

I am hoping to move in the next couple years. I'm trying to go through everything in the house, because I really don't want to move anything we don't use or want.

I am planning to retire in approx 3 1/2 years and dh and myself would like to then move out of state. He is constantly saying we need to downsize NOW in preparation. I too have an attachment to my stuff, I admit alot of it tbh is not in constant use but, but, but. When closer to that point i plan to weed out the wardrobe and job related books & equipment. I have a big china set from the first marriage that want to do something with, but not sure what. I have to honest about need vs like vs want. Think it would be simpler if I knew what/where the next stop would be for sure.

Think you were absolutely right to try and donate & no storage. Hoping that those missing items are actually out on the patio & you're able to get all the way unpacked.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

Yay Snoo!
    Currently we have a rule: I stack boxes in the open room (currently the library) at the top of the stairs. People are to grab one and bring it with them when they come downstairs. They are none of them big or all that heavy; I'm careful about that. But that does mean there are a lot of boxes.

LOVE this terrific plan Alexandra--such a winner you are!
    I reorganized my living room so the couch wasn’t up against the big window anymore. It feels brighter in there now.

Girl...I re-organized the house recently and you're right--it's amazingly wonderful how much spacious and lovely a room can look/feel just by moving stuff around!
    cory17 wrote: »

I am planning to retire in approx 3 1/2 years and dh and myself would like to then move out of state. He is constantly saying we need to downsize NOW in preparation. I too have an attachment to my stuff, I admit alot of it tbh is not in constant use but, but, but. When closer to that point i plan to weed out the wardrobe and job related books & equipment. I have a big china set from the first marriage that want to do something with, but not sure what. I have to honest about need vs like vs want. Think it would be simpler if I knew what/where the next stop would be for sure.

Think you were absolutely right to try and donate & no storage. Hoping that those missing items are actually out on the patio & you're able to get all the way unpacked.

Here's to cheering you on Cory!
  • Decluttered my walk-in closet. A lot of stuff is out, more stuff is where it belongs (not that closet) and I finally decided to try on the new yoga pants and see how they would fit. (Very well!) So I will be able to go up today and get rid of the old ones that felt about ready to slide off my rump.

We're at an odd point. Most of my shoes live in boxes anyway, so slapping a label on them was hardly any work at all, but do I take them downstairs and add them to the pile? What if I have an Occasion and need to wear something besides walking shoes? I don't want to dig through the pile to find the dress shoes then. So I'll leave them where they are for now. I suppose I can always take them down later.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Decluttered my walk-in closet. A lot of stuff is out, more stuff is where it belongs (not that closet) and I finally decided to try on the new yoga pants and see how they would fit. (Very well!) So I will be able to go up today and get rid of the old ones that felt about ready to slide off my rump.

We're at an odd point. Most of my shoes live in boxes anyway, so slapping a label on them was hardly any work at all, but do I take them downstairs and add them to the pile? What if I have an Occasion and need to wear something besides walking shoes? I don't want to dig through the pile to find the dress shoes then. So I'll leave them where they are for now. I suppose I can always take them down later.

Congratulations on your closet, and on your yoga pants!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Hi my peeps! My SIL might get orders on Wednesday to deploy to New York City. If so, I'll be going to Western New York to babysit. I'm packing for 6 weeks. Hopefully it won't be longer, but it is what it is. Stay safe everyone!

My friend's husband in in the Reserves and was shipped out to N.Y. on Sunday. Best of luck to you. That is lovely that you can babysit. xo
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Hi Friends! I am in a small apartment and will move to a little ranch. I declutter when I downsized from a big house after a divorce. But I can also see how I have accumulated more even in an apartment. I am planning to move soon and will declutter once again. I like a minimalistic atmosphere but over the last year my apartment has become more cluttered but homey, if that makes sense.

I also have a bed with storage underneath (drawers) and there are things there that I have not even touched or remember what is there, so will surely declutter that.

Happy to read your posts. Wishing all well!

OMG, you'll have to report what's under your bed! I've been embarrassed at all the gimmicks I've tried among the years like diets, things that supposedly can help chronic pain like gemstones and magnetic shoe inserts, and lots of exercise videos (even VHS ones I held onto like Leslie Sansone's). I hadn't looked under my bed in years and came across a Body by Jake Ab Rocker, ab roller you attach resistant bands to, tubing, TENS unit, weights and ball weights that go with videos, and Core Secrets exercise ball workout. The Body by Jake is the worst, you rock on a contraption to strengthen your core, I didn't feel anything trying it out the other day!
  • Gotta say, TENS units do work on nerve pain very well. I have one, and both my partners borrow it so often that I've ordered a second one so that everyone has one. (I stopped having back pain when I put a quarter-inch lift in my left shoe.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!