Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    i recently went through every holiday’s decorations... Halloween, Thanksgiving, (not Christmas) and the others. I threw away half of each holiday’s stuff. And put each category in it’s own box marked with the holiday. This was no easy task because I threw away perfectly good things, but you cannot keep it all. Right? Streamlining.

I also have been staying away from Target. That place can suck you and make you buy 10 extra things you don’t need. Small triumphs.

I’ve gone through our basement and have maybe 4 more big totes to look through. I labeled each box I went through with a person’s name of who the items belong to. My husband has hundreds of books in so many boxes, it’s really awful. Those poor books suffocating down there. I felt like that when I saw them. It is so much better for us to share the books, trade them, donate them and only save the most favorite ones. <3 And your favorite books should be on a tidy bookshelf. My two cents on books. :)

Wow! The answer is YES and super mega YAY YOU. That's a lot of hard work and the accomplishment you are making and striving for is nothing less than terrific. Girl...I love what you said about Target ( I love Target too and it's soooo easy to over do it, because of the super cute (NICE) stuff they carry). That's one of the reasons when I started this thread it was/is about declutter people/PLACES/and things that are fun, cool, NICE but that we must learn to control ourselves in or stay out until we do. But here's the rub...for me (and I'm thinking a lot of others) if I don't get a handle on the "emotions/self control" of places like Target--I'll just substitute Target for something/someplace else. Like weight-blastification and a "lifestyle" of decluttering...it's going to take TIME, and maybe a lot of time. Little by little, step by step and then, maybe sooner, maybe a LOT later--BOOM, the light goes off and we'll able to go to Target or anything else with moderation and self control.

You're such a lovely person and I'm so thrilled your posting here--YAY YOU, get it girl!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I hope my story could help someone going through this. I'm glad I came across this thread!

I consider this my psychological success story even though my body is loading at the time :smile:
    I was always told by my abusive father and step-mom that I'm ugly because I'm fat and that no man would ever love me. I was on the upper end of a normal weight on my BMI when they would tell me this and I was in swim/water polo/volleyball in high school. My father would make me wake up every morning to run 5 miles and then after school I would do 2 hours of practice with my respective teams. When I got home, I had to do more weight training. I would workout approximately 4 hours a day because I was forced to. It's part of my abusive upbringing...which flash forward until last year when I turned 27 years old and I had a mental breakdown. I have gained 80 pounds since high school and now I'm seen as a clown and an outsider to the family. My father continued the psychological abuse and I couldn't take it anymore and almost committed suicide last year a couple months before marrying my hubby. My husband was terrified to lose me and made me go to therapy. I was diagnosed with PTSD and wrote a no-contact letter to my family and uninvited them from my wedding. I have been 1 year without my family and I feel like I am now free. I have lost 27 pounds so far and I have about 50 more to go. I feel like a different person. The stresses from my family were really getting to me emotionally. I was so suicidal and now those thoughts never cross my mind. It was a very tough journey and I walked myself down the aisle on my wedding to start a brand new life with the people that I love and those that love me back.

If you're going through something like this, make sure to put your emotional health first. It's so tough when you feel like everything is crashing down. Once I took care of that, everything else fell into place. If anyone needs to talk, please message me. I would like to connect and maybe help you on your journey if you're going through something similar.

I was called short and dumpy by my abusive father, still cant get that out of my mind even though I am at goal weight. Abusive Mom would say do you have fluid? what does the Dr say? They would say we will have to take walls down in the house if she gets bigger. I was about 40 lbs over weight. He would call and leave on answering machine, how many sandwiches have you ate today? laughing. These are the same parents that had Xmas dinner with my exhusb and lady he left me for. They are best buddies so yes I have distanced myself and had a good holiday this year without family.

YAY you for distancing yourself from toxic/foolish people. YAY you for not buying the lie that this is my (fill in the blank) so I must put up with (fill in the blank) because that's "just the way it is or they are" NOPE--BYE and best wishes. The key to LETTING GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK is all of this "way of thinking/living/being" MUST be 100% without an ounce of anger, self-pity, bitterness, malice, wrath and all that stuff. DARING NOT TO FEEL SORRY FOR THEM NOR YOURSELF EVER...Why? Because you don't have to to allow anger/wrath/bitterness/self pity and yuck to influence and fill you up with it's POISON. You MUST let go and not allow their YUCK to fill you with anything other than sheer unadulterated JOY that your eyes are truly open, you have POWER to do what's necessary to not only "survive" but THRIVE IN A NEW LIFESTYLE OF LIVING AND THINKING/DOING/BEING and using that "energy" of yuck to better your life/thinking/handling stuff with power and because it's over/you're DONE with the yuck, you not only "see" them now, but "see" yourself too and/or you're no longer going to "wink an eye" at their foolishness nor your own foolishness anymore--giving yourself over to mental, physical, emotional, financial, spiritual HEALTH and well-being/doing, Why? Because your can. MAN!!!! That's the place to be--in control of yourself and your emotions and not giving place to "prison" of anger, bitterness and UGH. {{{{ Hugs}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Hey gang!

Just wanted to share this super important thing/way of thinking that helps me so much in dealing with toxic people/places and things....

NICE DOES NOT EQUAL GOOD. Just because someone, someplace, something is "nice" doesn't mean you must embrace them/it. Go for GOOD (for in thru) you always, instead of "nice". Like my earthly daddy always tried to teach me: "EVERYTHING THAT LOOKS/SOUNDS/SEEMS good, ain't good" and if it aint good...LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK, period. Don't wait, as soon as you "sense or see" something aint right/good--make like a library and book, make like a tree and leave, make like a shepard and get the flock outta there! Why? Because you CAN!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    For the last few weeks I've been going through boxes. My spare room has been accumulating the half full boxes (bad idea)! Today I decided that was enough, so I went into the blackness. To my shock, I only had 1 box, 1/2 full, and a bunch of empty boxes! I had a bunch of things for my daughter, so I filled 2 boxes for her.
    WIN!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    snoo61 wrote: »
    For the last few weeks I've been going through boxes. My spare room has been accumulating the half full boxes (bad idea)! Today I decided that was enough, so I went into the blackness. To my shock, I only had 1 box, 1/2 full, and a bunch of empty boxes! I had a bunch of things for my daughter, so I filled 2 boxes for her.
    WIN!

"so I went into the blackness." STOP IT, I can't stand it... :D:D:p:D:D I am ROLLING over here, I'm laughing sooooooooooooooo hard at your saying "so I went into the blackness." it's too much, you're sooooo funny!

YAY Snoo girl, win indeed--super YAY YOU!!! {{{{ giggling big time still and HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}
  • snoo61
    WIN!

"so I went into the blackness." STOP IT, I can't stand it... :D:D:p:D:D I am ROLLING over here, I'm laughing sooooooooooooooo hard at your saying "so I went into the blackness." it's too much, you're sooooo funny!

YAY Snoo girl, win indeed--super YAY YOU!!! {{{{ giggling big time still and HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm laughing with you, I didn't realize how funny that sounds
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    WIN!

I'm laughing with you, I didn't realize how funny that sounds

:D<3:D
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    From the you learn something new everyday and DUH files:

One of my favorite stores is having a home stuff sale and have pillows that are a decent price with a coupon. WELL, after reading reviews on various pillows...I discovered a lot of people, wait for it--WASH THEIR PILLOWS :o:#:o

I've been on this earth for a fairly LONG time and I NEVER knew/thought about washing pillows, I simply threw them away once I've had them for a while. How embarrassing (and unnecessarily EXPENSIVE) that I never knew you could/SHOULD be washing your pillows.

If anyone has any other, Wow...I never knew you could/should (fill in the blank) with a decluttering/cleaning tip, please feel free to add.

It's wonderful that there are so many things I don't (and should) know. I love learning, no matter how "tacky nor embarrassing". Yikes and YAY!!!!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,130 Member
    I never washed my pillows either. Just the special cover and the pillow cases of course...

I heard about the washing but I am very concerned that once I put them inside the washing machine, the pillows will end up in the trash. I need to take an inexpensive old pillow and use it as a guinea pig..Stay tuned ;)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I never washed my pillows either. Just the special cover and the pillow cases of course...

I heard about the washing but I am very concerned that once I put them inside the washing machine, the pillows will end up in the trash. I need to take an inexpensive old pillow and use it as a guinea pig..Stay tuned ;)

I know, I always have/used pillow protectors and CLEAN pillowcases always, but never actually washed the pillows and from what I've been reading, you can make your "GOOD" pillows like new again by WASHING THEM....DUH!!!! I was reading about it and A LOT of people wash their pillows on the regular and they come out as good as new, all fluffy and everything--YIKES and super YAY!!!!!

HOW TO WASH PILLOWS--THE ULTIMATE GUIDE HOW TO GUIDE FOR PILLOWS
    https://www.nectarsleep.com/posts/how-to-wash-pillows/

Here's some Before and after pillow washings pics:
    How-To-Wash-Pillows-In-The-Washing-Machine-Practically-Functional-12.jpg

https://www.practicallyfunctional.com/how-to-wash-pillows-in-washing-machine/

Here's another one:
    machine-wash-header.jpg

https://www.shutterfly.com/ideas/how-to-clean-pillows/

washing-pillows.jpg
    https://diyreal.com/how-to-wash-whiten-yellowed-pillows/
  • Gisel2015
    Thanks for the links. I will take a look and try first with the guest room pillows. Mine and my husband are special "foam" neck pillows so I don't know about the washing. Maybe I can look and see if I find a tag for washing instructions.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Thanks for the links. I will take a look and try first with the guest room pillows. Mine and my husband are special "foam" neck pillows so I don't know about the washing. Maybe I can look and see if I find a tag for washing instructions.

Best/well wishes on the "experiment" of pillow washing and I have a feeling you're going to LOVE the results. That said, I was reading where some people washed down pillows and some feathers got their washing machine jammed up and they had to get their machine repaired--a couple of people mentioned this, but the greater majority were thrilled. Also, from what I read, you're right--the "foam" pillows need to be spot washed/clean...not put in the washing machine. Best of all, as you said, looked at/follow the instructions on the tags. Here's to re-NEW cleaned pillows!
  • snoo61
    Until recently, I've had feather pillows so I never considered washing them. I am now going to have to rethink this!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Until recently, I've had feather pillows so I never considered washing them. I am now going to have to rethink this!

{{{ waving *Hi* Snoo }}}}}

I LOVE wiki-how so much, I learn so much from that fabulous site. I found this for you and anyone with down pillows:

https://www.wikihow.life/Wash-Feather-Pillows

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I have always washed pillows...altho not as often as I probably need to, lol.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    I have always washed pillows...altho not as often as I probably need to, lol.

As I was researching this, I found people are washing their pillows either twice per year (WHEW, hearing that made me feel less, ummmm, "narley" as people used to say) AND I like the idea of washing pillows rather than replacing them every year too--"good" pillows are kinda hard to find and can be expensive as all get out--shocking how expensive good pillows are--hmmmph! :# ). Also, I've been reading that some people wash their pillows every quarter (3 months)/when they turn their mattresses over. I like the idea of every quarter when turning the mattress.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,154 Member
    I don’t wash my pillows; I usually buy new ones. But I do put the pillows and comforter out in the sun on a sunny, breezy day to freshen them a bit. Smells like sunshine!
  • Gisel2015
    Many mattresses can't be turned over, just turned around. Most of them come now with a "top pad" attached to the original mattress (I have no idea what is that thing called ;)) that can't be removed. I have a Cal-king size bed, so it takes two people to do the rotation, and hubby is not too happy with that chore.

Mine has a thick mattress cover that I send to the cleaners once a year because it doesn't fit inside my washing machine. I had to buy two covers so I never have to leave the mattress without protection. Oh the things that we do for health and cleanliness!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I don’t wash my pillows; I usually buy new ones. But I do put the pillows and comforter out in the sun on a sunny, breezy day to freshen them a bit. Smells like sunshine!

What a terrific reply. I LOVE the idea--especially giving the pillows and bedding a
    "sun/fresh air bath" which will freshen the a bit and get them to "smell like sunshine" <3o:)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Many mattresses can't be turned over, just turned around. Most of them come now with a "top pad" attached to the original mattress (I have no idea what is that thing called ;)) that can't be removed. I have a Cal-king size bed, so it takes two people to do the rotation, and hubby is not too happy with that chore.

Mine has a thick mattress cover that I send to the cleaners once a year because it doesn't fit inside my washing machine. I had to buy two covers so I never have to leave the mattress without protection. Oh the things that we do for health and cleanliness!

:D Turning our king size mattress is a source of comical relief/delight and a feat of strength for hubby and I. We have sons that help us most times, but sometime it's just my beloved and I. We've done it so often, we've got it down pat and it's a relatively quick job, but it's still funny and kinda hard too--but we LOVE the results.

"Oh the things that we do for health and cleanliness!" I know right?!? :p
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!