What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    In my world, mushrooms or spinach in an enchilada are an abomination. I like enchiladas. I like spinach. I like mushrooms. I'm even vegetarian. But major no to spinach or mushroom enchiladas. Ick.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Over cooked meat.

Under cooked baked goods. Been eating undercooked cooked cookies and brownies all my life and haven’t gotten salmonella yet.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Also cold left over pizza for breakfast 🤤
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In my world, mushrooms or spinach in an enchilada are an abomination. I like enchiladas. I like spinach. I like mushrooms. I'm even vegetarian. But major no to spinach or mushroom enchiladas. Ick.

I've never actually heard of people putting these in enchiladas??
  • pancakerunner
    People who tell themselves that rice cakes are good are kidding themselves.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

Ooh. I discovered Quaker rice crisps, sour cream and onion flavor, apple cinnamon, and caramel. Tiny, textured, and, yes, with flavor. It's a nice little break-time treat.
  • pancakerunner
    ejbronte wrote: »

Ooh. I discovered Quaker rice crisps, sour cream and onion flavor, apple cinnamon, and caramel. Tiny, textured, and, yes, with flavor. It's a nice little break-time treat.

I disagree! I would rather have some kind of puffed snack. just me though!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

I've never actually heard of people putting these in enchiladas??

I don't know about elsewhere, but I've seen it quite commonly on menus of Mexican restaurants as part of their vegetarian or vegan options, in more than one part of the US.

Oddly, I did have huitlacoche (a.k.a. corn smut) in a Mexican dish on one occasion, and that was fine. It's a fungus, but has a somewhat different flavor profile than normal mushrooms.

Huitlachoche, BTW, is something that had sounded pretty yucky to me beforehand, having seen it growing on garden corn in my youth. It ain't pretty, at least per my definition. But I made myself order it, despite trepidation, because I like to try things. It was actually pretty good. I'd eat it again.

On corn, it looks like this:

cornfungus_custom-8d2b4f06329dcf888f9200c08fb9fc688c6c8850-s600-c85.jpg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    kbushe3221 wrote: »
    Over cooked meat.

Under cooked baked goods. Been eating undercooked cooked cookies and brownies all my life and haven’t gotten salmonella yet.

I always over cook my meat! Loveeee cooking it to a crisp. I like my chicken dry too lol.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »

I disagree! I would rather have some kind of puffed snack. just me though!

I live for the apple cinnamon rice crisps but also just discovered Pirate's Booty (or the Trader Joe's version...WHEN THE LINE IS SHORT ENOUGH TO GET IN BECAUSE I HAVE NO PATIENCE FOR WAITING IN LINES). (Yes, I feel very strongly about waiting in lines. And don't get me started on Menchie's last night. :))
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Huitlachoche, BTW, is something that had sounded pretty yucky to me beforehand, having seen it growing on garden corn in my youth. It ain't pretty, at least per my definition. But I made myself order it, despite trepidation, because I like to try things. It was actually pretty good. I'd eat it again.

I've had it and I really liked it.

• pancakerunner

I've had it and I really liked it.

I have heard good things about it!
  • pancakerunner
    not sure if these are unpopular opinions, but I like my burgers RARE and steak medium rare.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Raw meat smells mouth-wateringly delicious.
    Not that I'd ever actually eat it like that, but it smells so good.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTeHRwouHjc

LOL your comment reminded me of this episode.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTeHRwouHjc

LOL your comment reminded me of this episode.

OMG, that's so disgusting I'm listening to it instead of watching him eat it! I wear gloves and don't cook most meat because I can't handle touching raw meat, especially fatty meat. I make faces the whole time I make it and try to only touch it with my pointy finger and thumb. Weird quirk, I know, I wish it was easier for me!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Over cooked meat.

Actual baked goods are overrated. Under-cooked is the way to go. TBH i won't eat them if they are finished :)
  • pancakerunner
    alexmose wrote: »
    Over cooked meat.

Actual baked goods are overrated. Under-cooked is the way to go. TBH i won't eat them if they are finished :)

This. With the exception of pie.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Over cooked meat.

This. With the exception of pie.

The only good cake is cheesecake. The only good pie is pumpkin pie. The only exception to these rules are pumpkin cheesecake.