So... how come mfp is so quiet now?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I usually check my notifications page before checking the boards via topic area. Judging things like my AM new notifications count, I think most of the volume may still be there, but more focussed in particular threads (that "Coronavirus Prep" one is very, very busy ;) ).

It does seem like there are fewer new general/miscellaneous posts, though.

Longer term, I subjectively think volume is down . . . like it felt as if this January 1 wasn't as busy as last year. Maybe the trend has moved on to Noom, or some other site.

There's a lot of "calorie counting doesn't work" content in the popular blogosphere (I still have subs to some mainstream e-newsletters where I see this, for example). I don't know whether there's more of that (more focused, if not more numerous) than previously, though. There are trends within dumbness, though, for sure. :lol:

Note to self: Unsubscribing stupid newsletters I mostly ignore would be a good use of quarantine time. ;)

I have noticed that, too. A huuuuuuge influx of "calorie counting doesn't work" stuff all over the web, like just in the last few weeks.

Must be some kind of post-New Year's resolution post-mortem thing.

It's odd that year after year, the one thing that actually works and is completely proven and dependable for weight loss is decried as the thing that doesn't work. It's like reading year in and year out that if you want to take a trip by sea, the one thing you absolutely cannot do is use a boat, anything else is OK but for God sake do NOT get on a boat.

It's hard to generate revenue from something pretty much anyone can do on their own for free, by paying attention. Calorie counting is grabbing at the wallets of those who profit from a continuing dieting merry-go-round that runs on unsustainable solutions.**

Also, many people fail at it because - frankly - it's sort of annoying until one gets in the swing of it, maybe takes a couple of weeks, and I think a lot of people decide it doesn't work for them at that fiddly stage, so are grabbing at any alternative . . . especially one that plays into our individual psychological triggers (things like "clean will be rewarded", "one weird (or magic) trick that . . .", and many more).

Did you ever read those articles with attention to what they're (often) saying about why calorie counting doesn't work? It's sort of informative. It's usually not reasons why it can't work (objectively), but rather about how it isn't the only thing to care about in order to succeed (like satiation, for example), or why one might find it annoying, or why outlier conditions that "can't be counted" (like restaurant meals) are doom, or that calorie needs estimates can be incorrect, or other majoring in the minors.

** Do I think calorie counting is sustainable, or even doable as an individual practical matter for absolutely everyone? No. I don't.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Impatience also sometimes plays a role in weight loss options, people want fast results and big results..

I wouldnt mind if there was different methods towards the same goal that worked better for some then others to keep their attention.. I just wish that the method would stay honest in saying that this method is just another path to achieving calorie deficit. Rather then saying carbs are the devil, you cant lose weight if you eat them. Etc
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    coming from someone who used to post a lot...

I don't because I got sick and tired of being jabbed at and poked at and reported for inane stuff...that was alright one day then bam it wasn't without warning.

For example one day I reported a poster for being under aged...and let them know that I had reported them...just as an FYI...and not in a mean way (or that wasn't my intent)

I got put in Jail for that...without any recourse...I and many others had in previous times posted to underaged individuals that we had reported their profile as people under 18 aren't suppose to be here...without incident then all of the sudden it's not okay.

So there...when you silence people boards become quiet...and you are going to find that it becomes more and more quiet as people are silenced more and more...

I post a bit now and then but not nearly as much...I usually read the stuff that is repeated over and over again and see the same information being requested and given...and with the fear of saying the wrong thing to the wrong person or people assuming tone...no point in posting back usually.

*shrugs* I fully expect to get in trouble for this post.

Unfortunately, this is very true. Expert posters have disappeared. Many are afraid to post. You have to toe a very fine line now. There's no fun anymore.

It's a shame that's how it is, with the amount of unsafe and useless misinformation out there, losing your senior members who contribute to correct information, would be bad for the site in the end because people wouldnt have success here either trying to follow silly diets and using this to log the calories of those silly diets
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    I guess in the end it really boils down to profits and what makes them the most money I suppose, misinformation wont chase people away like what mfp views to be bullying I guess.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Nothing has really changed for me during this other then my shopping and social distancing habits, I stay home normally, and dont usually go out, and even tho I'm off this month, I'm technically still.working same as usual
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    So, on the private message thingy...I think you have to have someone on your friend list to message back and forth in private message.

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Well, I am messaging back and forth with psycho and he hasn't added me yet, but I didnt get his message until after I also tried to message him, unless that message was his second attempt to message me
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Well, I am messaging back and forth with psycho and he hasn't added me yet, but I didnt get his message until after I also tried to message him, unless that message was his second attempt to message me

That's good to know. It's either hit-or-miss or maybe they fixed it? Huh.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Yeah, weird, it's not the first time a message didnt send for me, I find the friend request option really weird now also...

And also... why are we getting points? Lol... are they like currency? Can I buy virtual stickers?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    People have other things on their mind right now. The CV threads are pretty full.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

That's good to know. It's either hit-or-miss or maybe they fixed it? Huh.

That's been my experience. For people who aren't MFP friends, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.