For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    After several weeks in lockdown (central NJ USA), without large veg/fruit stores and uncertain resupply options, I realize how "high on the hog" we had been living to support a 7-10 serving/day lifestyle.

Your questions:

Got a love affair of your own with the veggie realm?
    -- Got-to-haves, every day: tomato, peppers, cukes, onions, apples. But love squash, all kinds, any way, any time. Discovered it as an adult, can't recall ever having it (except pumpkin pie) as a kid.
    What is the vegetable you love introducing to nonveggie-loving friends?
    -- Such as my wife. Roasted brussels sprouts or asparagus. Becomes green candy.
    What new-to-you veggie are you surprised that you like?
    -- roasted fresh beets. Grew up with canned pickled beets, so this was a surprise to me.
    How do you boost nutrition in meals/recipes with innovative veggie additions?
    -- in this lockdown period, I am experimenting with some dehydrated veg that I was able to source.
    Are you doing cool stuff with jackfruit? Spiralizing celerac?
    -- nothing along that line.
    Wat preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit?
    -- See above about beets. By roasting, they went from "meh" to "yeah!"

We did get a limited fresh produce delivery towards the end of last week. Our "new prep method" includes: bleach bath for certain fruits and veg, solitary confinement in clean containers in the cool garage for a few days to dissipate virus particles (potatoes, hard squash), etc. Now I am resonating with Gollum, at least regarding produce, "My Preciousssss!"

ocvukwsjvphf.png

nb: This batch of produce is drying after their bleach bath. Timing and concentration per FDA guidelines. Learned the technique reading about long-term-sail-cruiser's reprovisioning stops in various world port markets.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm used to 8 servings of vegetables just in my lunch salad, the first day I didn't have it I wanted to cry!

Daily vegetables: Spring greens/baby lettuce spinach mix, cabbage, red pepper, onion, jicama, radishes, carrots, tomato, and use garlic and ginger most days. I usually have the same veg in my salad but switch up protein and dressings, usually a cup of of beans or lentils I made in batches with the Instant Pot and a Bolthouse dressing.

What is the vegetable you love introducing to nonveggie-loving friends? I second Brussel sprouts. My brother didn't like them until I made them dinner and brought a stalk of Brussel sprouts that I roasted whole and brushed in garlic oil and cayenne pepper, we carved them off like a Thanksgiving turkey and the three of us ate the whole thing. Fennel, butternut squash, and parsnips would be great to introduce too.

What new-to-you veggie are you surprised that you like? I've either been trying veg I've never cooked with or ones I've never tried every few weeks over this last year. One I didn't like before and love now is cabbage. My first mystery vegetable was a rutabaga and I really liked it. Cassava looked intimidating but I enjoyed it too, I put off eating it once I bought it for two weeks!

How do you boost nutrition in meals/recipes with innovative veggie additions? I add more vegetables to everything and base my meals around what I have. When I'm making stuff in the Instant Pot even if it isn't a big recipe it ends up at the top of the pot because of all the extras I add.

Are you doing cool stuff with jackfruit? Spiralizing celerac? Nothing that creative! With the rutabaga I busted out the mandolin for the first time, sliced it and apple, cut up red onion, layered and baked in the oven. It didn't have a lot of seasoning but the flavor was great. I need to get another one!

What preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit? Roasting for sure, it's my favorite way to have vegetables aside of greens and artichokes. The only thing I've steamed or boiled since is artichokes and that was to cut in half and grill (fav way to have them).
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options

-- Got-to-haves, every day: Oooo... some sort of greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, potatoes, garlic, apples, berries, mango. If I have those, I can be happy.

What is the vegetable you love introducing to nonveggie-loving friends?
    -- Roasted butternut squash... I introduced it to my oldest niece on Thanksgiving.

What new-to-you veggie are you surprised that you like?
    -- roasted brussels sprouts. I hate brussels because I had only had them steamed/boiled. Roasting changed them totally!

How do you boost nutrition in meals/recipes with innovative veggie additions?
    -- I have been trying to just add veggies to every meal and use a variety. I was doing super well with it until the start of the lock in and am just now getting back to it. Luckily fresh produce seem to be the one thing that I can get my hands on easily.

Are you doing cool stuff with jackfruit? Spiralizing celerac?
    -- Not really. I am still learning!

What preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit?
    -- Roasting everything! Seriously it is a game changer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    A local farm-to-table restaurant near me, in addition to offering take-out meals during our shut-down, has begun utilizing their supply network to assemble produce boxes.

A friend of mine who loves the restaurant more than I do** noticed this, and suggested we split a box, as we each live alone. She (contactlessly) dropped off my share today.

In addition to what's in the photo (red baby potatoes, turnips, shallots, onions, fresh mint), my share also included 3 heads of leafy greens, and some fresh oyster mushrooms.

kems9cnq8k5k.jpg

** The restaurant is always novel and interesting, often very good (occasionally falls short, but a little risk in pursuit of creativity is a good thing IMO). What bugs me is their menu: So coy and precious! It generally consists of a list of nouns ("bake" "puree" "roast" and that sort of thing), each followed by a partial list of ingredient-nouns. There's no way to know what you're really getting, whether it contains personal allergens for example, or is vegetarian-friendly, without cross-examining the server at some length (because the nature of the dishes is so unusual/varied, there often aren't short-cut descriptions). Sometimes even the server has to go back and ask the kitchen. Because I'm a curmudgeon (and an introvert ;) ), this irritates me. :lol: My friend thinks it's a feature. 🙄
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I roasted hispi cabbage tonight for the first time and it was a revelation. Plan to try other cabbages cooked this way.

I quartered a hispi and coated cut sides in fat melted in the metal sheet pan over the stove. I used a little goose fat we still have leftover from the Christmas roast, but butter or olive oil would be fine. Roasted cut sides up for about 30 minutes at 200C until edges were blackened. Seasoned with salt and pepper. Cabbage was remarkably sweet.

The chicken needed another 10 minutes so I pulled the cabbage out earlier and reheated a minute in the microwave in the serving dish while carving the meat.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Meatless Easter Friday lunch in isolation, see shopping above.

a2yj00q0zyjs.jpg

Stunning.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    <snip>
    Microwave gourmet because No Work Life Balance rn... brocco ‘microRoasted’ (it’s a thing. Art form. Or... tragic. You decide..), purple yam (also nuked), salad with thinly shaved fennel, spinach, other stuff.

<snip>

m955q24tdckt.jpeg

Once a cauliflower. A freezing afternoon, hot hot hot oven for days... ok, hours.. had sprayed with coconut oil and rubbed spices in prior.

OK....
    1. Please expound on this "micro roast" concept!
    2. That cauliflower looks fab. I haven't roasted whole. What time/temp do you get to that crispy looking goodness?

Thanks much, and ENJOY!

:)

1. Micro roasting, I used to do in college- discovered that Brussels sprouts on a stonewear plate would get nearly crispy when cooked for decades beyond prudent... uncovered after the first minute or so. Sprayed with oil, seasonings. Then I just keep adding minutes till they look ‘right’
    It probably kills all of the nutrients in them but sometimes you just need texture. I’ve done the cruciferous stuff, and also microwave taro chips & the like.
    2. I start at 425, maybe an hour? Maybe longer?
    I start it wrapped in foil. Sprayed with oil and spices on.
    After it looks ‘steamed’ I unwrap. Same heat, maybe another hour.
    Drop oven to 300. Spray more oil. Cook it till you can’t stand it anymore and devour.
    I love whole roasted stuff. Also I’m lazy. So I roast all the things whole. Warms up my freezing house.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    My lovely local veg box company normally allows me to swap things out, but because they have been mobbed with new customers over the last couple of weeks they've temporarily changed it, now you just get what your given.

This is mostly fine, and I want to support them as they are doing a good job keeping up in tough times.
    But last week they sent me a gigantic bag of kale....

I try hard not to waste food, but hate the stuff - any top tips to make it edible?
    (Husband says he he likes it, but hasn't managed to actually eat any of it yet!)

I posted this before for @purplefizzy who also does not like kale... not sure if she tried it, but this changed my mind about kale.

Allow me to try and change your mind. Maybe I will maybe I wont, but you most likely have ingredients in your house sans the vile devilish kale, so pick up a pack and give it a go.

Get:
    300g chopped kale bag (organic whole foods here is about that) and cut it up into even smaller pieces
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp EVOO
    2 small garlic cloves and grate or crush them
    1 tsp grated fresh ginger
    pinch of salt / pepper

Do:
    Combine all that in a big bowl, and massage and I mean like really try and choke that horrid kale, for about 2-3 minutes. You will see its starting to change colour and get softer and softer. Once soft and real dark now, set aside.

Get:
    roast a large head of broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces (you might already have the in your fridge)
    1 avocado and slice / dice it
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp fish sauce
    2 tsp aged balsamic
    1 avocado and slice / dice it
    few sprigs chopped scallions green and white parts
    toasted sesame seeds, tsp would be fine

Do:
    mix all that into the salad and let it sit for few minutes as you prep your protein.
    mix again and top of toasted sesame seeds

Let me know who it goes.

Oh shoot, did I never report back?
    I did make- I had everything but the balsamic (only have a mission fig dark balsamic in house usually, and I knew that would totally ruin the concept) and scallions (love them but pricey everywhere except Ranch99 so only have them when I’ve been there), also I used ‘bagel seasoning’ for sesame seeds because I was out.

It was delicious- but, even still, part of my brain was like ‘I’d like this more with shredded cabbage’ or over spinach (my fave.)
    I mean I’ll enjoy most anything with sesame oil and avocado and roasted broccoli- but the real kale fans will call me out... cuz I used TWO avocados to mask all the kale :) And because avocado. 🥑

You always hit it just right with the flavor profiles and textures that I tend towards.. but even you can’t quite convert me to being excited about kale :)
    I do like the kale chips but I like the nooch-slathered garlic ones, and that’s cuz I like nooch. And garlic. ;)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,168 Member
    Options

Where the hell did you get chanterelles in April? Those aren't even winter chanterelles. I have a few half-cup portions of pre-sautéd chanterelles in the freezer; maybe I'll burn a packet for a soup kind of like that. I took one out last week to cook with some rockfish, and that was pretty good.

• mtaratoot
    Options

<snip>
    Microwave gourmet because No Work Life Balance rn... brocco ‘microRoasted’ (it’s a thing. Art form. Or... tragic. You decide..), purple yam (also nuked), salad with thinly shaved fennel, spinach, other stuff.

<snip>

m955q24tdckt.jpeg

Once a cauliflower. A freezing afternoon, hot hot hot oven for days... ok, hours.. had sprayed with coconut oil and rubbed spices in prior.

OK....
    2. That cauliflower looks fab. I haven't roasted whole. What time/temp do you get to that crispy looking goodness?

Thanks much, and ENJOY!

:)

1. Micro roasting, I used to do in college- discovered that Brussels sprouts on a stonewear plate would get nearly crispy when cooked for decades beyond prudent... uncovered after the first minute or so. Sprayed with oil, seasonings. Then I just keep adding minutes till they look ‘right’
    It probably kills all of the nutrients in them but sometimes you just need texture. I’ve done the cruciferous stuff, and also microwave taro chips & the like.
    Drop oven to 300. Spray more oil. Cook it till you can’t stand it anymore and devour.
    I love whole roasted stuff. Also I’m lazy. So I roast all the things whole. Warms up my freezing house.

My friend sent a picture of him STUFFING a whole cauliflower the other day before roasting. Seemed like an interesting idea. I keep forgetting I have some brussels sprouts in the fridge I need to roast. Today!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    <snip>

<snip>

m955q24tdckt.jpeg

OK....

Thanks much, and ENJOY!

#2.
    Whole head on a plate covered in plastic wrap and into a microwave for 10minutes.
    Remove, pat dry, sprinkler with spices and spray of oil.
    Place into a an oven preheated to 450F and roast for 10min or until charred to your liking.
    Remember its already cooked so all you want now is the charred yummy bits.

I guess I could get a microwave. Nah. I'll steam it. Partially. I guess I need to get something to atomize oil so I can spray it. I can do that, but not until things calm down a bit.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    <snip>

<snip>

m955q24tdckt.jpeg

OK....

Thanks much, and ENJOY!

#2.
    Whole head on a plate covered in plastic wrap and into a microwave for 10minutes.
    Remove, pat dry, sprinkler with spices and spray of oil.
    Place into a an oven preheated to 450F and roast for 10min or until charred to your liking.
    Remember its already cooked so all you want now is the charred yummy bits.

I guess I could get a microwave. Nah. I'll steam it. Partially. I guess I need to get something to atomize oil so I can spray it. I can do that, but not until things calm down a bit.

Large pot of boiling water will also do a quick job.

I tend to like steam better than boil. Uses less energy - less to boil. Summertime puts less heat in the house. I hadn't thought of par cooking before roasting. I might try that with some denser veggies.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Brussels sprouts from yesterday were still REALLY good after I neglected them almost a week. I had forgotten I bought them. I was also surprised how well the purple potatoes kept their color. Big fairly thin slices crisped up quite nicely.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Canh is a nice way to eat leafy greens.
    nna6gl366orb.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Working from home lets me have a hot lunch. Today was simple; roasted potatoes (purple and red) and roasted garlic. Different temperatures, so the potatoes came out and the garlic went in. The garlic, eaten like peanuts, is kind of like dessert.

4tiredo2cy9n.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I am soaking dried marrowfat peas sold for cooking and popcorn kernels to sow tomorrow for microgreens on the balcony. It's the first time I try corn. Will plant some fava beans next weekend to stagger the harvesting.

https://www.teenytinykitchen.com/featured/cold-asian-salad-with-apartment-grown-corn-sprouts/#sthash.cQ0SWR37.dpbs