What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Another one I thought of since I just requested recipe info in another thread.... I love catfish. I eat salmon regularly, but I love me some panko pan-fried catfish. Most people tend to be repulsed by catfish, it's got an undeserved bad rap... just gotta know how to cook it, and of course it's gotta be fresh. I also fish for it down here in Florida (fresh water, don't like the saltwater varieties).
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Cantaloupe is nasty! Anything pumpkin is too.
    Pasta, rice are not worth the calories
    Potato chips are a waist. Much rather have a whole potato
    Oreos taste like fake processed yuck!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Cantaloupe is nasty! Anything pumpkin is too.
    Pasta, rice are not worth the calories
    Potato chips are a waist. Much rather have a whole potato
    Oreos taste like fake processed yuck!

updated for ya :)
  • pancakerunner
    Honeydew melon is a vast conspiracy of the powerful melon industry.
    They convince you to keep buying them based on the fantasy that ONE DAY, you're actually going to get one that's ripe and tastes like that amazing melon you think you had that one time.

It's a LIE.

Those delicious, ripe honeydews only exist in your brainwashed-by-the-melon-industry head.

Only time I get good, ripe honeydew is in pre-cut fruit packs from the grocery!

when it comes to melons, here is the ultimate hierarchy:

Watermelon
    Cantaloupe
    Honeydew
  • pancakerunner
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

I think these are actually good... judge me
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I'm not that into melon. I like a good fresh, locally-grown cantaloupe in season, but there's so much tasteless cantaloupe (and honeydew) sold the rest of the year (or put in all the hotel or conference or airplane fruit salads) that I forget how good it actually can be. I like honeydew less, but again it's good if ripe and in season. Watermelon always seems not worth the trouble of the seed. I do like the flavor with strawberries or other berries in a smoothie or other drink should I get a seedless one.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...

oh, the overly-sweet, cloying frosting. swoon. <3
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...

I'm judging also... but only for those nasty little sugar discs that you ruined the cupcake with... :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...

I'm judging also... but only for those nasty little sugar discs that you ruined the cupcake with... :)

They're not plastic disks? They look like plastic disks.

(And it's a hard no, for me, on the whole concoction. I like me some treats, but that isn't one, in my world. Y'all can have my share . . . again.)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    ecrispi wrote: »
    I don’t get why people are so into steaks. I like them just fine but no more than any other piece of meat

I like steak, what I don't get is cured/deli meats and sausages made from beef. That's what God invented pork for...
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...

(And it's a hard no, for me, on the whole concoction. I like me some treats, but that isn't one, in my world. Y'all can have my share . . . again.)

partially hydrogenated palm oils, high fructose corn syrup, yellow dye #5, oh my!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I find avocado disgusting.

Avocado is good stuff.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Tomatoes are an abomination before the gods.

Best food ever.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited April 2020
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...

Agreed. Tons of super sweet icing (which is what I'm assuming) is not my thing, and definitely not the disks.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    d20igrq8v0h8.png

yup...I'm judging...

partially hydrogenated palm oils, high fructose corn syrup, yellow dye #5, oh my!

so what your saying, is that they are indeed plastic, right?
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    ecrispi wrote: »
    I don’t get why people are so into steaks. I like them just fine but no more than any other piece of meat

I like steak, what I don't get is cured/deli meats and sausages made from beef. That's what God invented pork for...

But only if you like pork, which for the most part, I don't. That's what Hebrew National is for....
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I find avocado disgusting.

Avocado is good stuff.

I occasionally use it in place of olive oil for salad dressing: half an avocado, vinegar of your choice, a little honey, a little mustard. Whisk away, and there you have it. I'll toss in some seasoning, too.