60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    schneezle wrote: »
    Hi there - I am a newbie but I have been following MFP since March 7th. Good to see lots of people here sharing their stories.
    I used to do Weight Watchers but I am finding this plan easy to follow. For exercise I've been using my recumbent stationary bicycle a lot.
    Quick question - does this site ever go down for maintenance? I'm doing quite well and enjoying tracking my calories (My hairdresser recommended MFP to me!)

Occasionally there's maintenance, and sometimes there are bugs that pop up afterward and need to be resolved.

The downtime for planned maintenance is usually quite short, and at lower-usage hours, so not mostly a big deal for folks with normal levels of patience: We can come back in a few minutes to a couple of hours, and everything's back in business. I always note food/quantities on the back of a junk-mail envelope while I'm cooking/prepping, just to avoid gumming up my device with ingredients, so I just set it aside and enter later, in the rare case that's necessary. (In my case, more likely to be a temporary problem with my flaky home wireless, not an MFP-specific issue!)

Also, there are occasional (very rare) unplanned MFP outages. Those tend to be very, very short, at the rare times they occur. Since it's random and short, you may never even see it.

@Evamutt: So glad you got good news about your dog! Yay!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Great news, @Evamutt! Happy for you and your dogs!
    Hi there - I am a newbie but I have been following MFP since March 7th. Good to see lots of people here sharing their stories.
    I used to do Weight Watchers but I am finding this plan easy to follow. For exercise I've been using my recumbent stationary bicycle a lot.
    Quick question - does this site ever go down for maintenance? I'm doing quite well and enjoying tracking my calories (My hairdresser recommended MFP to me!)

Welcome, @schneezle! Yes - this site goes down for maintenance periodically. Users also have issues from time to time, which varies from person to person. Just be patient when you run into issues. The great support and encouragement that you get here makes it worth putting up with phone and computer glitches from time to time.
  • schneezle
    schneezle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Occasionally there's maintenance, and sometimes there are bugs that pop up afterward and need to be resolved.

The downtime for planned maintenance is usually quite short, and at lower-usage hours, so not mostly a big deal for folks with normal levels of patience: We can come back in a few minutes to a couple of hours, and everything's back in business. I always note food/quantities on the back of a junk-mail envelope while I'm cooking/prepping, just to avoid gumming up my device with ingredients, so I just set it aside and enter later, in the rare case that's necessary. (In my case, more likely to be a temporary problem with my flaky home wireless, not an MFP-specific issue!)

Also, there are occasional (very rare) unplanned MFP outages. Those tend to be very, very short, at the rare times they occur. Since it's random and short, you may never even see it.

@Evamutt: So glad you got good news about your dog! Yay!

Thank you! It's nice to get a response here - this is a great site! ♥ <3
    Great news, @Evamutt! Happy for you and your dogs!

Welcome, @schneezle! Yes - this site goes down for maintenance periodically. Users also have issues from time to time, which varies from person to person. Just be patient when you run into issues. The great support and encouragement that you get here makes it worth putting up with phone and computer glitches from time to time.

Thanks! (I did print out about 2 weeks worth of printable nutrition reports just in case) - on it I noted that my calories per day are going up, but at the same time I am also working out a lot more.

My hubby does not have a weight problem so it's nice to have others to bounce things off of.
    :)

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Welcome schneezle, I love this group. All went well at park. There was a family with a few kids & 2 dogs way on the otherside from us. When we came to the side of them (still far away) one of the dogs stalked Eleanor dog then ran to her. I stayed calm so the dog doesn't pick up my vibe. My husband was next to Eleanor & the dog growled at husband for a second but both the dogs smelled each other then walked away, whew. We stayed for 30min so Elanor doesn't overdo it. my schedule for today: just ate lunch, going to make our green juice then do a cardio video through Fitness Blender for about 30min, then tentatively clean the back of the kitchen where our nook is with all the windows before it gets warmer, I'm not committing to that today but am to finish it by tomorrow.?There's so much cleaning & organizing to do here. Going to walk dogs around 6. Have some of you made a home schedule?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    :)Evamutt, great news about your dog. Also looks like you did well at the park. I am grateful that my dogs are fine walking on a leash in our neighborhood. They are sad that no one is allowed to pet them so whenever we see someone, I pet my dogs to make up for them not getting petted by their friends.

:) I have a schedule that includes walking the dogs before breakfast, then breakfast with spiritual reading and reading MFP, then walking the dogs again for 90 minutes. I shower and dress every day. In the morning I either dance or do a few cleaning chores followed by lunch and TV with hubby. While he naps after lunch, I watch more TV and ride my exercise bike, then walk the dogs some more followed by a session of pulling weeds. When my husband wakes up I spend time with him, eat again and then dance or go for another walk.

:)schneezle welcome to our very supportive community. I like to read the posts on this thread every morning over breakfast to help get my thinking for the day on the right track.

:'( I think the cable box on our big TV is dead (no power suddenly this afternoon). We can still stream Netflix and Amazon Prime but I dread calling the cable company and having them come over to replace the box. Yes, I realize that my big problem is a problem of the privileged.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Evamutt that is good news about Susie. I’m glad she is doing good.🤓🌹
  • Evamutt
    Options
    @barbiecat I really want to make a scedule but haven't yet. my life turned upside down due to being out of commission for almost 4 weeks due to my painful arm where I couldn't do anything but sit on couch with pillow to support my arm & including not being able to work at my part time jobs then the virus precautions happened so I've been feeling a bit lost. I used to be so busy & loved my down times at home. I used to be gone 2+ hours 5 mornings a week taking most of my dogs to the dog park for an hour then walking the ones who couldn't go to dog park. I would go to the gym,I would help ppl who needed it, like do some cleaning or errands for them, I would volunteer at animal rescue couple days/week & I actually got a paying job there friday & saturday mornings last january, now I don't know if I'll recover enough to be able to go back to work there but I do plan to keep volunteering when i can. Right now they don't want too many ppl there due to the virus. Good news is there's hardly any dogs there due to ppl stepping up & fostering & increase in adoptions. I'm also a care giver 2 days week. Before I worked 3-4hrs each but now I'm there only 2 hours each. I took her to our Bible study group for ppl with disabilities on wednesdays & church on sundays & did personal care & cleaning but there's actually very little cleaning to do so It's very boring. I do care about her but we hardly talk. She has a hard time talking due to her stroke & I do too due to being more of an introvert & not really knowing how to do small talk so it's always made me feel awkward. My husband is doing fine, he's been a home body for years. He does woodworking & now he has a CNC machine & 3Dprinter so he's been busy with that. He's great at small talk but it can be irritating too lol. His routine really hasn't changed much. Can't visit one of our kids who I used to & can't see my best friend so been kinda depressed. Sorry for the downer, I'm being honest. I've been trying to get into home exercise which I did do in between the gym but my energy drains away after dog walks & lunch. I think this is the first time I felt "old" . The odd thing is I've been through really, really hard & stressful times & circumstances in my life for various reasons & made it through, depending on The Lord & never thought inactivity would be so hard, especially since being around ppl wears me out after a certain amount of time, no matter how much I love them & never did spend a lot of time with ppl in general. I'm depending on The Lord to lift me out of this. Thanks for letting me share honestly
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @Evamutt Hang in there..we will get to the other side. I really need to set up some kind of schedule, too. I think I am going to do so much & yet nothing gets done. Maybe if I committed to a schedule, lol. I'm retired so this shouldn't feel so different, but it does. I think it is just feeling cooped up in the house. (I know I'm not really..I could go for walks, lol) I think part of it is fear of the unknown..if I get the virus, how sick will I be? So really trying not to get it, lol. But now our Governor thinks it is a good idea to start opening the state (Iowa) even tho the last 2 days have had big increases in cases. Their reasoning is that they are testing more. :p
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Evamutt, just asking about a schedule means you're thinking about having one. I'm not sure it matters so much what's on your schedule, but just that you have one. My husband's schedule includes hours of playing a computer game of tanks shooting tanks. In between he watches TV or makes a phone call. Neither of us does much housework beyond procrasticlutter (tidy surfaces, put dishes in and out of the dishwasher, do laundry and put it away). We get up at a regular time and shower and dress and go to bed at a regular time. The last time I went anywhere in the car was ten days ago and I won't go again until next week. My husband has gone nowhere except yesterday I asked him to drive the car around the neighborhood for a few minutes because it had been in the garage for too long.

:)Retiredand lovingit Our governor won't be opening up any sooner than his medical experts tell him it will be safe and even then, my husband will still stay home and I'll continue my practice of rare trips to the store with many precautions.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree..even if they do open up more things, we will still be staying home. That is the recommendation for the vulnerable(older people, lol). We have gone for a ride a few times & stopped at daughters to talk for a bit at a safe distance, of course. & Hubby has gotten our online grocery pickup a few times. Drive there, open the back of the van, they put it in & he drives off. I guess I am about the same with housework, lol.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    you're right barbiecat, about it not mattering too much what's on a schedule, just having one. I would like to schedule some exercise time & cleaning/organizing time though. We don't do much housework either. It's just us two & dogs but this is a good time to do those things that only get done once in a great while I'm with you @RetiredAndLovingIt , I don't plan to change too many things once our city eases the stay at home, just dog park which I really miss and volunteering
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I’m a stay at home person too but being made to stay home kinda gets to me. Hubby usually runs to the store for this and that but now he doesn’t go in because he has asthma really bad so I have to go in and do the shopping I wear a mask and gloves we get up early on Tuesday Walmart has shopping for seniors at 6am that’s fun! But anyway that’s how it is right now. When I get overwhelmed with things that need to be done I make a list and check it off as I do them that helps me stay on track. Evamutt as we get older it gets harder to get things done just do what you can and don’t worry about the rest it will wait for you. And it’s ok to take a nap in the afternoon a nap helps nothing to feel guilty about. I like naps. Even if you don’t go to sleep you are resting your body sometimes that’s all you need. The Lord will get us through this praying for you Evamutt. It’s going to be sunny here in Oregon so I’m going to be outside today playing in my yard!!!! Woo hoo!! Everyone have a great day God be with you!! 🤓💖🌹🦋🌷
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) My husband's cardiologist told him that he needs a lot of sleep and suggested that he take a nap in the afternoon. So for the last few years he has taken a nap at about 1:30 every day and sleeps from 1-3 hours. He considers it as medically necessary as the prescription drugs he takes.

:) I try to complete one significant task each day. It needn't be big, just something that makes me feel useful. Significant tasks include such things as 20 minutes of pulling weeds, folding laundry and putting it away, mopping the floor in the room where I dance. When I go to the store next week, that will be my significant task. It will require writing a very well planned shopping list organized by sections of the store, remembering mask and gloves, taking my time in the store in order to stay away from people, being kind to the cashier whose being at work allows me to shop, and stripping off clothes and taking a shower and washing my hair when I get home.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all. In another thread, someone mentioned that life was starting to seem like "Groundhog Day". Rang true for me. Now off to work. Have an awesome week!
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) Sorry I've been MIA basically for the past few weeks :( With the days all blending into oneness it is hard to find something to talk about or to have the desire to share what is happening. Nobody needs to feel my blahs :blush: We are still well here and for the most part happy :smiley: We do miss our church family and friends a lot :'( We went for a nice ride last evening and it was a beautiful sunny day. I have lost the few pounds I gained and am actually down a couple more than I was :smiley:
    Evamutt I am so happy to hear your dog is doing better :) Hey, don't beat yourself up :| Just do what you've done, got back to it <3 (logging)
    barbiecat I love your attitude (((hug))) it is so inspiring :) I try to do things similarly as a daily rule. As far as lists go... I make one if I have many things piling up (if I've been ill) but don't beat myself up if I don't get it all done in one day. I just keep the list going until I check everything off :smiley:
    lindagalbreath577 You are such a sweetie (((hug))) I'm with you pretty much :) my hubby is usually the one who runs out if we just need a couple things and we go early when it's time to buy more. Lists are a good :smiley: one day at a time. Like I said in my message, "I wish we lived close and you could help me with my yard" B)
    RetiredAndLovingIt It sounds as though you and your hubby have quite a good routine worked out :)
    schneezle Welcome ((hug)))
    alteredsteve175 Hello :smile:
    AnnPT77 Hey good to see you :smiley: How are things down your way? Up here everyone has their boats out ready to get them in the water. Have you started your rowing yet?
    annliz23 Thanks for the lovely inspirational post (((hug)))
    njag6393 Hello :smiley:
    bethe Hi there :smiley:
    I need to get busy around here and check my list LOL

Have a blessed day everyone :smiley:

Shout out to my friends <3
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. It's so nice to read the good things that have been going on with y'all. I'm ok, not much movement on the weight but honestly I'm not especially motivated lately. Eating healthy and at least walking for 30 minutes daily. Being alone and staying in has me lazy and quite Netflix dependent. Last night someone took my Amazon delivery from outside my front door, oh my what's this world coming to. My friend that was infected is on the road to recovery now and that's a blessing. It's going to get better and I'll just wait patiently and safely. Hopefully the sun will shine later today. April showers bring May flowers right.
    Friend hugs!
    Courting my blessings. Om....

• cmedwards52
    cmedwards52 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Good Morning

I hope you are still open to new members? My name is Carol (67). I live in Chilliwack in the Fraser Valley of beautiful British Columbia, CANADA.

I have been dealing with too much weight most of my life. About the only time I was really able to control it was during my two pregnancies. I only gained 27 pounds each time and had 9 pound babies.

Was doing REALLY well until COVID isolation hit a couple of months ago. Then the weight just kept creeping up. So instead of being 15 pounds to goal, it became 25. Watched a Dr. Phil episode last week that was very helpful getting me back on track. As he said, "you need to be ready to head out running when this door finally opens for us". Great advice. I am going to make that my mission. To be ready to hit the road running when the door opens and IT WILL OPEN.

Stay safe everyone, and positive.

Carol
  • marie19781
    marie19781 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Downside of being an avid reader during this time is not keeping a schedule. I work until 9 pm , read until until wee hours of the morning. Once the gyms reopen my classes start at 6 am which means my alarm would be set for 5:15 am. I need to set boundaries.

Hi Carol.