• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Such a pretty basketweave knit pattern, @barbiecat! :flowerforyou:
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Somebody finally tested positive for covid 19 in the next county over, so people here are freaking out (Toilet paper? Really? And WATER??? Fill up gallon jugs, etc! But then I'm a camper and I live in hurricane alley (but so do they!!!). I don't get the big deal re: collecting water. Not to mention we have a freaking river running right through town. Hysteria. Sheesh). Personally, I think it's been here for awhile. A couple of friends of mine got quite ill two or three weeks ago with all the significators, but they were over it in about four or five days. Both are otherwise healthy middle-aged adults. It's here - but most of us get over it and go on with our lives. I worry for my health compromised friends though - they are the ones really in danger. Me? I take a regimen of supplements and I'm very healthy for my age, so not too worried. If I catch it, I catch it - but I'll get over it.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. Hope all our newbies are particularly doing great. Yesterday was a good day.

My 62 and up development has cancelled all community activities due to the threat COVID has in our county. The cases doubled in a day in our area. So I got my workout with YouTube Yoga and resistance bands in front of the TV. Later in the day for my one daily social distancing trip out I took out trash, picked up the mail, washed my hands before toughing my car and drove to Great Falls National Park for a long walk. The ride to the falls was beautiful with even more trees in full bloom including magnolia and early blooming lavender azalea. Spring is very early this year. The park was open although Smithsonian Museums, the US Capital and National Monument are closed to the public and the National Cherry Blossom Parade and Kite Festival are cancelled. This trip I walked up river above the falls (earlier picture I shared) and enjoyed the quiet water at the rivers bend. The birds were active and relaxing to watch. The dessert for my walk was seeing the beginning bloom on the hundreds and hundreds of Bluebells on the forest floor along the river. Next week I'll go back with my camera in hopes of capturing full blue bloom. Attached is an phone pic of the Potomac above the falls.

Shout out to all my friends.
    0t49gzu142yb.jpg

@barbiecat -I love your blanket. Great weave pattern! I was an accomplished basket weaver before taking up knitting
    @lynnchristy - hope my post doesn't make you sneeze. Allergies are so difficult and pesky
    @Evamutt - Happy Birthday tomorrow

Good work everyone, thanks for being here!!!
    Hope all have a beautiful weekend.
    Stay well. Om….

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) Good morning, all. I met with my friend this morning and walked the dogs for two hours. The only people we saw were two big poodles being walked by their dad. People seem to be really staying home in my neighborhood. Later I took my finished blanket to Project Linus. They were just readying a pile of blankets to take to be given to homeless teens so I was right on time. The calendar may say spring but we had snow on the ground so I asked hubby to build a fire in the woodstove. Other than dog walking we'll be home the rest of the day.

:) I bought an extra turkey in December and have just started to defrost it . It will make several great meals and a giant pot of soup that I can freeze in quart jars to eat later.

:) We got our census letter in the mail and hubby went online today to fill it out so now we've been counted.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Just a slight wave to you -- social distance you know. Went to YMCA pool but that's about it. Seems quiet but maybe just my expectations. Scale seems to be holding and inching lower. Woohoo.
  • GrandmaJAE
    GrandmaJAE Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Count me in - community support helps everyone!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,257 Member
    Options
    Hugs to folks struggling or having a hard time.

A super day today really pushed myself 2 walks with the dogs plus a 25 minute stationary bike ride and also 20 min yoga and back stretches managed whopping 21066 steps and managed to stop drinking too, win ,win!
    See everyone even at 57 with a bad back, hip and knee you can still do it!
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat, great blanket! You've got talent! I never had the patience for any needlework, I'm sorry to say. I spent (spend) most of my free time reading -- and nothing to show for it. ;)GrandmaJAE, welcome! j29t, keep those pictures coming! It was cold and wet here today, so other than going to the Farmer's Market this morning, I haven't been out. So it's really nice to see the beautiful pics you are posting. Finally saw a downward movement on the scales (dropped .8 lb., not much but better than nothing so I am happy with it. Made a big pot of red lentil soup to combat the cold weather and dampness. Very satisfying to cuddle up with a bowl for supper. Annliz23, I am thrilled to get in 10,000 steps. 21,000+ is awesome! Lots of cancellations in our area, although no presumptive positive cases yet. Officially, there are four in the state but I'm betting there are many more who just haven't been tested yet.
    I've heard the grocery store shelves are pretty bare and there are a few things that just can't be had anywhere (tp, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, sanitizing wipes, OTC pain relievers to name a few). I don't understand people grabbing up way more than they can possibly use, but it seems some are in a full-blown panic-mode.
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I am *so tired*. Continued working in the back yard today, moving heavy stuff around and digging small trenches for grass barriers. The hardest was moving a big cast iron kettle that's going to be used as a firepit. I tied a rope to one handle and played pull mule. Finally got it to where I want it, but will have to dig a depression to make it sit level. Weight is slightly up and down, but on a general downward trajectory. I've neglected eating well the past two days because of yard work, so I need to get back on the wagon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    bethe wrote: »
    I am *so tired*. Continued working in the back yard today, moving heavy stuff around and digging small trenches for grass barriers. The hardest was moving a big cast iron kettle that's going to be used as a firepit. I tied a rope to one handle and played pull mule. Finally got it to where I want it, but will have to dig a depression to make it sit level. Weight is slightly up and down, but on a general downward trajectory. I've neglected eating well the past two days because of yard work, so I need to get back on the wagon.

Sounds like you earned that "tired". :flowerforyou:

Irrelevant side comment: We used to have one of those kettles, for fires. If you can find the proper size of tire-rim, that makes a pretty nice riser/leveler, unless you need it to be lower for some reason. That does mean needing to get it up onto the rim, but board-ramps can be useful. ;)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Practically noon greetings! Scale says 165 -- my goal for March. Did nothing much so far but Y pool opens at 1. Watching tv about the C19V. A fire-pit sounds nice right now, it is about 55 here but not going higher. Looks like calories are going to be high but not too high today, should get my 30 and more at pool. Our rain is almost non-existant so all in all, all is well. Church is closed but I am thinking of a favorite hymn, all is well with my soul. Have a bit of the sniffles and my son sneezed once today - allergies I almost know for sure but guess I will wonder about anything.
  • bettyjmaurer
    bettyjmaurer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group. Love reading your comments and inspiring quotes and support for each other. There is enough negativity in the world elsewhere. I'm 72 and have over 100 lbs. to lose. On good days, I tell myself that as long as I keep trying there is still hope. On bad days, I wonder what makes me think I can do this when I've struggled with my weight my whole life without success. It's great to have a support group who are on the same journey. Wishing everyone a beautiful day and great week ahead!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Greetings, all. Hanging in there. Went grocery shopping yesterday - the cupboards were bare. Went back this morning - supplies were better and got most of the items on my weekly list. The grocery was still out of most paper products, bulk rice and pasta. I had hoped that the local folks would not succumb to the panic buying.
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome, bettyjmaurer! Glad to have you. This is a wonderful group, so positive and supportive. I think you will like it here. It is cloudy and cold (40 degrees) here again today but I kept my promise to my dog and took her out for a 2-mile walk. Not many folks out on the trail, partly because of the weather I think but also because some are self-quaranteening as much as possible. I am trying to stay away from stores and public places as much as possible but we have had no positive cases here in mid-Missouri as far as I am aware. I know it is only a matter of time. My cupboards are well stocked and I bought a big package of TP before all the panic buying started, so I think I am set for now. If only the weather would get warmer with some sun, I would definitely be outside more. Keep up the good work, everyone, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Greetings all from sunny but cold British Columbia. The weather suddenly turned, brrrr. Welcome@bettyjmaurer, this is a great group. You will get lots of help, suggestions, knowledge etc. I too have struggled all my life. In my case since my early 20’s. I have doubts like you, but am telling myself that if I get it done this timeit will add a few years to my life and that helps.
    @alteredsteve175 we have seen hoarding here as well. It is disheartening. A few grocery stores have started a senior shopping hour at 6AM when supplies are high, so the elderly who are most at risk can shop in peace and get their needed supplies. Maybe your local can do that. As well, some are limiting the amount of paper and cleansers you can buy.
    Keep safe everyone.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes, our church was canceled soon after I mentioned going on here. It's ok. It's a dreary day here & supposed to start raining later through tomorrow. I had to work this morning but got home at 2, had a little to eat. So now I feel like I must take my Eleanor dog for walk or dog park before it rains cause she LOVES to go out. I do have 6 dogs but I don't need to take the others out every day. I'm not doing anything special today except husband is going to grill some pork chops. I'm planning to make cookies just because I feel like baking & will decide if I'm going to have a few or not. I did finally lose 1 pound, yay for me. the last 3-4 days, I've been eating like a bird- that is, just having a few forkfulls of this & that, food I would normally sit down with , I just had a couple fork fulls of pot roast, instead of having a full meal. I still weigh what I eat. I haven't had much of an appetite. Have a great Sunday everyone
  • gvdjzo
    gvdjzo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and deciding to reclaim my health for my family. I have a long way to go 1 pound at a time. I'd like to be considered as part of this group. Thanks. Greg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) I found MFP at age 62 after decades of failed weight loss programs. This time it worked. It is never too late to redesign your life for health and fitness.

:) It is chilly here in NW WA so the dogs and I bundled up in the morning for our usual long walk. We went out early enough to enjoy the moon in the clear dark sky and later in the clear daylight sky. I bundled up again after a shower and clean clothes to walk with a friend. This afternoon I bundled up a little less to walk the dogs again.

:) I am fortunate that my usual life is walking the dogs and being busy around the house so staying home is a normal routine for us. I get a lot of my reading material as Kindle books or audio books from the library so I don't even need to go there.

:)Greg, You became part of this group just by posting. I hope you'll come back often.

:)bettyjmaurer, you have come to the right place for support and encouragement. I hope you will develop the habits of posting food every day, reading this thread regularly, and seeking every opportunity to be active.

<3 Barbie In NW WA
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good evening 60 & uppers :) I just realized I didn't come in here yesterday ... I did track my food, but hubby and I took the day off from everything and just spent time together <3

Malimalai Welcome :smiley: you've come to a good place for support and encouragement.

n2gardens56, glad to hear you're doing so well :) It's always nice to hear that.

barbiecat, your blanket is beautiful :smiley: what a blessing it will be to the person who receives it. That soup sounds delish :p

AnnPT77 Hello

bethe, I'm with you in regards to the hysteria :| We actually had a store clerk accosted while she was trying to help unload a supply truck on Friday. People seem to have lost their minds over this :( Sounds like you need to take a break (((hug)))

j29t, thanks so much for sharing your lovely pictures :smiley: I keep watching for that first robin, but haven't seen one yet :'(

josephinebowman Good for you inching down YAY... I missed church being open today, too. We have a fairly large church so everyone thought it best. Prayers going up for you and your son regarding your sniffles o:)

GrandmaJAE Welcome, you will find support here :smiley:

annliz23 you go girl, I am 10 years older than you and have slowed down considerably :blush: Congrats on leaving drinking behind (((hug)))

Fishwishing, congrats on your loss YAY, any loss is a good thing :smiley: I don't understand the behavior of people about this virus either :#

bettyjmaurer Welcome to this bunch of losers LOL It's never too late to learn to love yourself <3

alteredsteve175 Hi Steve :smiley:

Evamutt, congrats on your loss YAY. I hope you feel better soon (((hug)))

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone :)

Shout out to my friends <3