Starving and miserable

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    freelymama wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who replied, really helpful!

Ok i played around with the settings on mfp to see what i could change. I changed the goal to 1.5lbs a week and my activity to "lightly active". Mfp gave me 1680 cals. I feel this is likely more then i need so ive adjusted it to 1500 and i can see how i get on. But i still dont think im truly lightly active especially at the moment in lock down.
    So my next question is...how do i become lightly active? How does this translate per day? 30 min workout video? Daily or every other day? Not sure where to start but im up for giving it a go if it means i can eat more!

To this point I'd ask - what experience with calories - eaten or burned - do you really have for this to be something to trust?

As to confirming you are being lightly-active - take the long way to the bathroom and kitchen all day long - visit all the rooms of the house hourly - walk to end of driveway several times daily.
  • JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok. Im not sure i can really say im lightly actvie then. No in not sat on couch all day but im not run off my feet either. We have a small hpuse its not much effort to go from one end to the other. Im doubg a bit of light hpusework and sitting on the floor or in garden with the kids. Its still sitting. If we wernt in lickdoen yeh id say its hard work with kids in tow going places and school runs but not at the moment.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Op I'm 5'7 and 210 and a mom to an almost 2 year old. My weight loss is set at 1 lb a week, and that puts me around 1600 calories. My activity is set at light because I spend more time playing on the floor doing activities. Slowly losing weight. Maybe try the increase for a few weeks and see how you feel, and if you lose any weight.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I think it’s likely your base activity level should be sedentary while you’re in lockdown. The sedendary setting accounts for a couple thousand steps around the house and so on. You can add in exercise to get a more accurate picture of your calories out.

As far as how much exercise you should be doing, for health in general it’s good to be moderately active 30 minutes a day, and more is better (up to a point, but that’s another post). Start with something you enjoy like a video or a walk and increase gradually so you don’t burn yourself out.
  • jkr1000
    jkr1000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, I totally understand where you're coming from! How far into your journey are you? It normally takes me 4/5 days for the serious hunger to go after I start a diet, that's why it has taken me a year and about 20 failed attempts (and an extra 14lbs) to get back to it but I had to do something!!

For my calories I always class myself as sedentary and have a calorie goal of 1200 (I'm 5'7" and 180lb). I then do a 30 min to an hour work out each day (depending on time) and that's how I get the extra calories. I will say that 3 weeks in I am getting used to it, the hunger has started to go. I struggle with some carbs as I have a gluten intolerance but I always eat wholewheat five and lots of potatoes.

Good luck with it. You need a hobby or distraction from the hunger, I do find exercise really helps!
  • JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok. So as a compromise ive set it to lose 1.5lbs per week, not very active (for now while in lockdown) and will endeavour to add in some excerisse to "earn" extra calories. Whats the best way to be accurate on this. Step counter? Dont we all burn different amount depending how hard we are working? I dont want to "eat back" excersise calories and end up over eating!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Ok. So as a compromise ive set it to lose 1.5lbs per week, not very active (for now while in lockdown) and will endeavour to add in some excerisse to "earn" extra calories. Whats the best way to be accurate on this. Step counter? Dont we all burn different amount depending how hard we are working? I dont want to "eat back" excersise calories and end up over eating!

It's based on weight.

Which for many exercises is a fair estimate of calorie burn.

The fitness level between people of same weight is not a change in calorie burn - but rather what supplied most the energy for those calories - fat or carbs.

How hard you are working is taken care of by workouts that have an intensity to them (pace, speed, ect).
    For those that don't (Spin class) it's expected you are doing it the way the class is done.

Be honest with the time - if 5 min warmup and 5 min cooldown and stretches involved, and the video was 30 min - the workout was only 20 min.

ETA - oh - overeating would have to overcome a 750 cal deficit.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

A step counter or a fitness tracker with heart rate monitor can be useful in judging your activity level. I used a step counter to push myself to get up to at least 5,000 steps a day, then I bought a cheap fitness tracker to help me judge the intensity of my workouts when I started them. But they aren't absolutely necessary, either.

The general recommendation is to start with counting back half of your exercise calories and adjust as necessary, especially if you are using MFP's values. So say you do a low impact workout video for 30 minutes (I do this at lunchtime currently). Count the MFP entry for low impact aerobics for 15 minutes to get the half calorie count. MFP takes your currently weight log and calculates the calorie burn using that and the minutes you input.

For some of the entries, you'll need to make a judgement call. for instance: I have a cheap elliptical here that my grandfather had left in one of his rental homes. I know that even using the present workouts on it, its not a very strenuous workout, rarely getting my heart rate above 110. So it would be considered a light effort. But MFP doesn't have an entry for elliptical, light effort so I choose to instead using the walking entry for either 2.0 or 2.5 mph for my sessions. My current walking speed is actually around 3.25 mph, but there isn't an entry for that, so I may count 60-70% of my walks at 3.0 mph instead.

So start at adding half calories back for exercise, give it a few weeks and adjust as necessary.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Ok. Im not sure i can really say im lightly actvie then. No in not sat on couch all day but im not run off my feet either. We have a small hpuse its not much effort to go from one end to the other. Im doubg a bit of light hpusework and sitting on the floor or in garden with the kids. Its still sitting. If we wernt in lickdoen yeh id say its hard work with kids in tow going places and school runs but not at the moment.

I would put it as sedentary. Especially during Quarantine. But it's actually a moot point. I think you've made a wise choice setting your cals to 1500 and that should provide a great baseline for you to move forward. In 2 weeks you'll know whether 1500 is just right, or maybe you need a little more food (likely), or could do with a little less (unlikely). The whole sedentary vs lightly active thing is just to help you get started; it isn't like fitting into category A vs B really matters, other than for MFP to be able to ballpark how many calories you should be eating. 1200 was too low, at 2030 you won't lose any weight, so yeah, around 1500-1650 ish is where you're gonna need to be to drop the pounds at a motivating pace without feeling too deprived and you don't need a label to know that.

EDIT: I should mention that when I ran your stats through TDEE calculator to get your maintenance calories of 2030, I assumed "Sedentary". For someone sitting in a house during quarantine I can't really see how that wouldn't make sense. But again, the category is kinda irrelevant if you've settled on a caloric level to get started, as you have.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lightly active is walking about 4000 steps a day (sedentary is less than 3000) - MFP does NOT include purposeful exercise in your calorie count (so if you do like a workout video - it expects you to eat back at least a portion of those calories)

The things I'm seeing are calling sedentary less than 5000 steps a day

Sedentary is less than 5,000 steps per day
    Low active is 5,000 to 7,499 steps per day
    Somewhat active is 7,500 to 9,999 steps per day
    Active is more than 10,000 steps per day
    Highly active is more than 12,500

https://www.10000steps.org.au/articles/counting-steps/

Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i). <5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index'; (ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active'; (iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and (iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035