Women 200lb+, Let's Be Adaptable This April!!!

Options

Replies

• aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    @KeriA I am so impressed with your progress this year and plans!! Very inspiring!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I took a walk yesterday, but spent the evening miserable due to IBS symptoms. Hopefully all that will work its way out today. I wore the wrong bra on the walk, and now my upper back is really sore. Lesson learned!

Today I am going to do laundry and bake. Boyfriend and Girlfriend will have ham and beans and cornbread muffins for lunch. As beans don't like me, I'm having a leftover hamburger. I have crab cakes planned for tonight, and even if they are done with faux crab to save money, with enough spices they're still pretty tasty. We will have them with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli.

As far as baking goes, while we have plenty of rolls, garlic bread, and cornbread muffins, I noticed last night that we were low on medicinal fudge. So I will make a batch of milk chocolate fudge and a batch of dark chocolate fudge. I'll probably flavor the dark chocolate with rum. This is sugar-free fudge, so the calorie load isn't as bad as it could be.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    FredaMaree wrote: »
    Newbie, here!

Welcome!! :)
  • Rosie3579
    Rosie3579 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello, all! I've posted the new May thread in the Motivation and Support forum. Come join for next month.

🏵️Women 200lb+, Let's Be Mighty this May!!!🏵️

Thank you!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    @RavenStCloud Thanks for posting the new thread ... see you on May 1!! :)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Long post, please skip if you don't want to read about corona.

Some of you have asked about how things are going in South Korea in relation to the virus. Here is a great article that was posted today:

BBC News - Coronavirus and South Korea: How lives changed to beat the virus
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52482553

Just a disclaimer: The following is my personal experience and opinions. I'm an American living in the second largest city in SK. I speak daily with friends and family back in the States, so I know how radically different things are. And I keep getting asked to compare the US to SK's timeline of events and, sorry to say, it's impossible. The corona virus came to SK in the second half of February and here's what happened/is happening.

The South Korean government has been so incredibly on top of things here. I can't begin to describe how incredibly safe I felt/feel here and how guilty I am that I am not back home helping my family because of the danger they are in. The South Korean government's policy on the virus is called Trace, Test, Treat.

Here, testing was/is available to everyone early and easily. There is national health care here, so even if you get sick and have to go to the hospital, you don't have to worry about the financial cost. Masks were put on by everyone in February and we still continue to wear them everyday. We got/get alerts on our phones about patients who were in our area with a timeline of where they've been, to know if we could have been exposed. Schools and large gatherings were closed from the end of February. Public schools are actuay still closed, but private academies like mine have opened this month (we had about 60% attendance). In school, all students wear masks and we do our best to have the students sit apart from each other for lessons and lunch. In my opinion, I would not have opened my school until the public schools were also open, but it wasn't my call.

Grocery stores never had a run on anything. They were never out of anything like toilet paper or soap or food...there was almost no change. People shopped calmly and responsibly. The only thing that you couldn't buy (for about 3 weeks) that you regularly could was face masks. And even then, the government set up a system where, depending upon your birth year, you could go to a pharmacy on a set day of the week and buy two disposable masks ($1.50 each). Now, though they are back in stock everywhere. Also, for about two weeks, hand sanitizer was difficult to find.

March was our difficult month. Most people stayed home, but the streets were never empty-empty. Stores never really closed. Movie theaters and gyms did for a little while. But people here were responsible and were trusted to stay home and social distance. They wore masks if they went out. Big events/gatherings still are being discouraged, but going outside now, apart from all the face masks, everything seems pretty normal.

Currently, SK is mainly only getting new Covid cases from abroad at the moment (and they all have to quarantine when they arrive at the airport).But, we are aware that we could get a new wave of this virus and things could get bad again very fast. But "bad" here means something completely different than "bad" in the US.

Total South Korean population: 51 million
    Total deaths attributed to Covid: 247

Wow. That's an amazing response, and an incredible mindset for public health/responsibility for the whole country, and for every individual to have that mindset. It's incredible.
  • changeforeverlj
    changeforeverlj Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @RavenStCloud Very interesting read, thank you! S. Korea's strategy worked! A great model for other country's to follow. See you on the new thread!

@mmdeveau Well done on your loss, you have the right mindset to keep your weight off for good! I think we are so conditioned to going on diet, restricting ourselves, losing weight, falling off the wagon, and putting on more weight! And then buying into another fad diet... Its a hamster wheel! I've promised myself I will never ever pay for any diet program again! For me, it has to be a life change, so slow and steady wins the race!
  • aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    @RavenStCloud thanks for posting the new thread and sharing about South Korea. It made me shiver to read about the population and number of deaths attributable to COVID. It makes me so sad to think of all the souls we have lost here in the United States due to such poor planning, testing, and compliance. Glad you are safe and things are returning to normal.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    @AlexanderFindsHerself sorry you aren’t feeling well. I just put crab cakes on my meal ideas list. I love them but haven’t ever made them at home. Why not?

@cesse47 no it didn’t. Wednesday was a lot like my Mondays before this week. I didn’t even exercise. However I ate just below my calorie goal and lost a bit today relative to the day before.

@aliciap0116 Glad to see the loss for you at the end of the month. You have got yourself in a good position to get into the 170s.

@changeforeverlj I wish our government (federal) had its stages worked out. Our governor had a task force for construction and they are starting to allow some safe construction to start. The task force included labor and construction company leadership and they all agreed to safety standards and to what could be done safely. He is going to set up similar task forces for other economic areas of our State. However we still have new cases and deaths although we are no longer the 1st State on the list. Our curve is not only flattening but lowering in WA state. Western States are working together as our some of the Eastern Seaboard states since neighboring states affect each other. He is expected to announce a continuation of our stay at home order this week.

@RavenStCloud Thanks for posting this thread and May’s thread. I am glad to know you were stalking us since I was missing you! It is so sweet of you to respond to the request to let us know about S Korea’s opening up. Thanks for the BBC news reference. I will definitely read this. I love the Trace Test Treat model. I think many States would have liked to follow something like this but couldn’t get the supplies they needed to do that. I hope you stay safe.

As to toilet paper here yes there was hoarding but the reason we had shortages were because of the distribution system between personal vs institutional/business use. All the sudden no one was using the business/institutional bathrooms but they were home buying the toilet paper for home use. The distribution system for this was overburdened suddenly. That is why we had shortages. There was plenty of toilet paper for our employers who no longer needed it if they weren’t essential businesses. There wasn’t enough for home use. Also some were trying to buy more so they wouldn't have to go out to the store and they could stay at home. I also had to help supply my Mom who lives in a retirement community. We aren't allowed to see her anymore but we drop off essential supplies.We were limited to buying 1 package of one brand of TP when we went. We are having similar issues with food distribution now.

@mmdeveau Yes! You made it! I do not think losing 10 pounds a month is sustainable loss. When we weigh more it is maybe okay but when you are in onderland I am not sure it is as easy or as good for you. Who wouldn’t want to lose 10 pounds every month but when you think about it I am not so sure. We want to live while we are losing weight. We want to start living the way we will for the rest of our lives. I applaud you for ‘only’ losing 6 pounds. I want a new bike too. We took all our bikes in to get tuned up and he said none were worth it. We had to get my daughter a new one to go back to school. We need to get rid of the others. I am thinking about putting mine on a stand and converting it to a stationary bike. It was a hand me down but was not a bad bike.

@MuttiNM Congrats on making your goal. Great job at your exercise goals too.

I will post this and then my last April check in. Then May!