PET PEEVE ALERT "Include message in friend request" EXCUSE M

Options
dmpizza
dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
This is just a pet peeve of mine.
While reading people's posts, you often see profile pics of very attractive ladies.
and if you're like me, you click on the name to see the profile.
I DO NOT WANT TO FRIEND THESE PEOPLE, but I hate it when up front they ASSUME you do and post;
"I no longer accept friend requests, or
" please include a message as to WHY you should be my friend"

You know what honey, you ain't all that.

Replies

• whatwentwrong
    Options
    where else are they supposed to tell you they don't accept random adds? :/
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I understand both parts to this. I can understand not wanting anymore friend requests but I do think it's odd when people say they want a message on why you are adding them.. duh for support!!!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There's a fair share of creepy dudes on MFP bro, just like any community. I think it's perfectly reasonable if anyone happens to have problems with random creepy adds.

Not always the case, but you really can't just assume.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    where else are they supposed to tell you they don't accept random adds? :/

Well, an easy way would be for them to just ignore the request.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    +1 to the puppet

I remember I sent this guy a PM on a gaming forum and he was all 'Sorry, but I have a girlfriend'. Good for you, dude. Chicks can't talk to you without falling victim to your enchanting FFT screenname? Knob.
  • adventuring
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess those girls post those because they were getting random friends requests to begin with, not out of a completely random notion that their *kitten* are just that hot.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Many people on this site prefer a message with a friend request. Male, female, hot and not.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    idk, i think ignoring a request is more ****ish than putting a note, but everyone feels different i guess
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    I understand both parts to this. I can understand not wanting anymore friend requests but I do think it's odd when people say they want a message on why you are adding them.. duh for support!!!

This.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    my profile says that if you want to be my friend to send me a message with your friend request... i wanna know why youre friending me because if its like a team member in my group like my september challenge group or im also in the MFP biggest loser, or if they saw a post that I did and they liked it , or if they want to be my friend just because....because in my friend list I have different friends for different reasons and personally I wanna know the reasons
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    I don't necessarily want a bunch of random adds and would prefer if someone left me a little note as to why they want to be my friend.. there is usually a reason so it's nice to share! Like "hey your inspiring! be my friend" "hey we seem to have similar goals lets work together!" or whatever. I don't demand it in so many words but I don't just randomly friend people either. If I saw someone i wanted to friend on a forum, I'd say "hey been following you in the forums, you seem cool!" or something. I don't make a note of it on my profile but I do prefer a note with requests and am more likely to accept the request if there is one. That's all :)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Well, if someone is just randomly friending a person without a reason, they probably won't be too hurt that it's not accepted. At least I hope so.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I just put it up as I just cleared out some of my friends and I am trying to get back into things so for right now I just want to keep the friends I have and not accept any others. This has nothing to do with thinking I am attractive or anything especially since I get more request from girls then guys.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I appreciate a note with a friend request. It is just polite. I don't know if people found me through a post I wrote, a mutual friend or just randomly. It doesn't have to be much, just a few words. I always send a note when I friend someone. And even if I refuse a friends request, I usually write back and say why I am not accepting (in most cases).
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    9396113.jpg
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I used to have that on my profile because I don't have any interest in being collected by friend collectors. If you're adding me because you read my blog, or we have similar goals, or you like the shoes in my profile picture, or whatever, awesome! Let me know that. But if you just went down the list of a thread adding everyone you saw because you want to beef up your friend list, no thanks. I eventually took it off my profile because it appeared that nobody was reading it anyway, so now I just deny the ones with no message and I don't feel bad about it. But just because you see that message on someone's profile doesn't mean they're conceited. It just means they're sick of getting tons of random friend requests that seem to be out of the blue.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'm too young to hold this office.
  • starpi22
    Options
    I'm not all that, I have never been all that, but I do have "please send me a message with friends request." The reason is this; Like Facebook some people on here like to add as many people as possible to make their friends count look nice and fat. They add you and never talk to you again... I'm not looking for that, if you want my friendship you are going to get a real friend, I am going to message you, talk to you, and support you. This can be very time consuming, so I like to keep my group small and I like to get to know each ones name and goals. It also helps me identify with those with similar issues like diabetes or thyroid disease.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Because I used to accept all requests and then I got a message from a "friend" saying he wanted to "jump my bones". ummmm...no.
    Now I need to have a reason, like a friend of a friend, or a prior forum interaction, so I can make an informed decision on whether or not to accept.

It in NO WAY has to do with thinking I'm "all that" as I have very low self esteem and am actually surprised when I get ANY requests.

Plus I tell it like it is and people need to know I am no-nonsense and will critique your low calorie starvation diets constantly, so my profile also states that if you under-eat or have a locked diary then don't bother because I want friends that are trying to be healthy.

OUR PROFILES are OUR profiles, and we can say anything we want about OURSELVES, and saying what I will and will not accept is telling people about ME and then they can decide if they would STILL like to send me a note asking to be friends.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Many people on this site prefer a message with a friend request. Male, female, hot and not.

This. I still usually accept without a message but I am curious as to why they added me. Do we have similar goals? Similar interests? Do they admire how much I eat? Do they do Turbo Fire? New Rules? Or do they think I am hot?:wink: