May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ereilly311 wrote: »
    I’d love to join this group! I’d like to set my goal at 40 miles (I’m a total beginner!).

5/4: 1.1 mile

Welcome!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @katharmonic Glad you are feeling ok after your runs!
    @hanlonsk Hey, that was pretty close on the spelling! A lot better than I would probably do!

We are having a couple of days of 90 degree weather, but it is supposed to cool off again starting tomorrow. I got in another two miles last night.

My shoes finally shipped from Brooks and should be here tomorrow, so I am looking forward to breaking them in!

5/1: 1.75
    5/2: 2.5 + ST
    5/3: 2
    5/4: 2

Total: 8.25/50 miles
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    taniaolter wrote: »
    Hi everyone, trying to lose 20 lbs at the very least, this month. A lil unrealistic but pray for me pls😅🏃🏽‍♀️

Wait, what? This sounds way too aggressive!
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well the weather has finally turned to poo here. Cold and raining. First jacket run of the season, but the bonus was, I had the waterfront path - in fact the entire suburb - to myself for the first time since lockdown began.

Now about to cosy up in front of the first fire of the season!

Cold and rainy is my favorite weather to run in :) You never get too hot, and usually have all the roads/trails all to yourself :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Nearly 80F two days ago... 30F now. This is tough to plan around :smiley:
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Nearly 80F two days ago... 30F now. This is tough to plan around :smiley:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Another random, perhaps dumb question.

How important is stretching? Or even warming up, for that matter? What sort of things do you do to warm up?

I will admit, I haven't been taking running very seriously for very long. About a year, maybe. So i'm still inexperienced and learning as I go.
    I don't really warm up, I just kinda step outside and go. And I've never been one to stretch before or after a run. Or at all. I hate stretching. I despise it. It hurts and I'm miserable and annoyed every time someone makes me do it (ahem, husband, looking at you.)
    But, I'm also super inflexible because of my hatred for stretching and I do feel like this makes me more prone to injury. Seriously, you guys...I can't even touch my toes without bending my legs. I have never been able to in my life.

Does it help? Does it improve your running? Is it even worth it?
    And how do you make yourself not hate it so much?!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk Hahaha on the spelling. You almost did it! I love your pet too. Glad the dogs were friendly.

Welcome @ereilly311 ! Being a total beginner, be sure to take it easy and don't do too much too soon. The goal is slow and steady build up so you don't get injured and can stay with it for the long run. We're here to support in any way you need it. It's a great group!

@rheddmobile Sorry you're knee is hurting more. Hopefully it feels better today.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @mbaker566 W00T! well done!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Great job! You rock!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    taniaolter wrote: »
    Hi everyone, trying to lose 20 lbs at the very least, this month. A lil unrealistic but pray for me pls😅🏃🏽‍♀️

Good luck! I have had zero success being locked in with snacks. We have a small side group of runners and myself, (the wannabe runner again someday), if you want to share your food ventures, thoughts, plans, short-comings and wins. There is no format to follow. The invite is for all so the rest of ya don't get jealous :smiley: I hope to see ya there, come tell me what you are eating today!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    alright, race report.
    yeti 24 hour challenge
    i didn't think it would be that bad. it was tough.
    i wonder if it's harder to do it all at once and get it done or to do it broken up like i did. because getting up and moving was difficult. I didn't cry. I've often cried when i've reached a distance milestone.

@mbaker566 Oh, hey fellow crazy!! Big congratulations on your 24 hour challenge! I felt you in my soul reading your report. 5 miles is rough when you have only 4 hours between runs! You must have gotten very little sleep.

For me, I think it's much harder to do it all at once. I keep comparing the 48 hour challenge to running the marathon, and both were HARD. I still can't picture doing another marathon, it was so mentally and physically grueling for me. But I could do the 48 hours again (not anytime soon). Recovery wise, no comparison either. Now, the big difference is I was "racing" the marathon vs. just running my regular pace for the 4 miles each time.

Anyway, way to go! Awesome effort and endurance.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Super job!!!