May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Another random, perhaps dumb question.

How important is stretching? Or even warming up, for that matter? What sort of things do you do to warm up?

I will admit, I haven't been taking running very seriously for very long. About a year, maybe. So i'm still inexperienced and learning as I go.
    I don't really warm up, I just kinda step outside and go. And I've never been one to stretch before or after a run. Or at all. I hate stretching. I despise it. It hurts and I'm miserable and annoyed every time someone makes me do it (ahem, husband, looking at you.)
    But, I'm also super inflexible because of my hatred for stretching and I do feel like this makes me more prone to injury. Seriously, you guys...I can't even touch my toes without bending my legs. I have never been able to in my life.

Does it help? Does it improve your running? Is it even worth it?
    And how do you make yourself not hate it so much?!

<Engage full hypocrite mode>

So, very. A proper dynamic warm-up will reduce injury risk. You should always do it.
    Easy light stretch post-run helps with recovery and helps prevent DOMS

<Return to normal risky behavior>

:)

I can only relate what works for me.
    My warm-up consists of leg swings (both straight and with kees bent 90 degrees) and a slowish first k. For a race, I'll do the leg swings and then run a few hundred meters.
    My post-run stretching consists of calf and quad stretches.
    If I don't do my post-run stretching, my legs tire to the point that I need 2 rest days a week.
    If I do the post-run stretching, I can run 6 days a week and rest 1 day.
    So for me to run consistently, the most important part of my workout is my post-run stretching.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 100 Miles

5/3: 11.07 miles
    5/5: 6.25 miles

17.32/100 miles completed for May

453.48/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 6.25 miles today. It was a pretty nice run. There is a "cold" front moving in so after the last few days of 100°F+ weather it is only supposed to get to 80°F today. The temperature started out at 69°F this morning and was down to 67°F at the end of the run. I think a couple of hours later when I left to go to work it was 60°F. The temperature wasn't bad this morning, but the 18 mph NNE wind was a little much for me. But all in all a nice run.

@scott6255 Sorry to hear about your A/C. Hopefully they can get the new one up and running before it gets too hot again.

@quilteryoyo and @katharmonic I think it was a bull snake. He was big and did startle me a little, but I'd rather see a big non venomous snake than a rat or a mouse. And I did decide to go ahead and run the HM on Sunday. That way if something happens and I can't do it this week, I can always do it next week. And I think with the cooler temperature I will get a better time.

I thought about you when I got up this morning @katharmonic. I was still sleepy and not quite ready to get up. I don't know how you managed to get up in the middle of the night and run. I'm still impressed and now I am impressed with @mbaker566 as well! Way to go! You are true badasses!

@brittanystebbins95 I am terrible about warming up before I run. I mostly just try to not start out too fast and build up my speed as I go. And I'm not always good about stretching after either, but I do try to do about 30 minutes of yoga after I run. I think that takes care of the stretching.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @rheddmobile I hope the knee is ok!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I'm so sorry to hear about that.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    So sorry @PastorVincent . It is too late to reach out to Sandra, but not her husband. Perhaps he needs to hear from you now. You can be there for him when he needs you, like he was there for you when you needed him. Just a thought.

@kgirlhart Glad you got your run in early, before it got colder. I'm with you on the snake vs rat! Good luck on your HM on Sunday! Hope it's a go weather wise.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I'm so sorry to hear about that.

Thanks.
    So sorry @PastorVincent . It is too late to reach out to Sandra, but not her husband. Perhaps he needs to hear from you now. You can be there for him when he needs you, like he was there for you when you needed him. Just a thought.

I have, but right now all I have is a FB profile. I suspect he is not looking much at FB though.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate

May Total: 325k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Cloud and mid 30s F this morning, with a wicked breeze from the east. Felt very strange to be back in winter garb.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Another random, perhaps dumb question.

How important is stretching? Or even warming up, for that matter? What sort of things do you do to warm up?

I will admit, I haven't been taking running very seriously for very long. About a year, maybe. So i'm still inexperienced and learning as I go.
    I don't really warm up, I just kinda step outside and go. And I've never been one to stretch before or after a run. Or at all. I hate stretching. I despise it. It hurts and I'm miserable and annoyed every time someone makes me do it (ahem, husband, looking at you.)
    But, I'm also super inflexible because of my hatred for stretching and I do feel like this makes me more prone to injury. Seriously, you guys...I can't even touch my toes without bending my legs. I have never been able to in my life.

Does it help? Does it improve your running? Is it even worth it?
    And how do you make yourself not hate it so much?!

So ah yeah. Much like @PastorVincent there are two schools of thought, what you should do and pretty much what most actually do lol.

So you *should* do some dynamic stretches and brief warm up - you can Google and find hundreds of methods of doing this. And cooldown/stretching is supposed to help with DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) - though recent research suggests that stretching doesn't necessarily help.

Personally, I do a few leg swings and squatted calf raises before a run. I started a couple of years ago when I had an injury (shin splints) and read that dynamic stretches was supposed to help, and now it's just a habit. For a long run - anything over about 10k - the first couple of Km are basically a warmup anyway...

I try to remember to stretch after a run, my calves anyway because I can get pretty bad shin splints and posterior tibial tendinitis and stretching is supposed to help. And if I'm feeling sore in my hips and gluteus ill definitely have a stretch and roll of those areas after a run. But rather than being focused and doing it all the time, I tend to be reactive, stretching because I'm a little tight/sore etc.

Now when I strength train, I always warm up - starting with some dynamic movement, and build up slowly. And I always stretch after. This is something I was ALWAYS taught to do, and is now habit.

So um, yes you should do a warm up and stretch, it doesn't hurt to do it. Lol

Or as PastorVincent says, do as I say, not as I do lol
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 amazing!
  • Lenamarshae
    Lenamarshae Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I’m going to shoot for 30 miles for the month of May. Thanks for this forum and support.

Good Luck! 😉

May 1: 4.5 miles! Yayy (walked 3.5, jogged 1)

May 2: 5 miles (speed walking for 2, casual walking for 3)

May 3: 6.5 miles (walking)
    May 5: 3 miles (jogged 1, walking 2)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,101 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    01/05 1.5 miles
    02/05 2.35 miles

exercise.png

@katharmonic - Well done on your challange. You have some stamina!
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My usual every several day check in. Keep up the great running....I am vicariously burning calories and carbo-loading for all of you. I am walking more and planning on my first jog on my birthday. Hip still hurts a bit, especially after a 2-3 hour bike ride. I want to get new running shoes. I will definitely have more cardio endurance from the bike.

@PastorVincent I am so sorry to hear about your friend's wife. She sounds like she was a wonderful human!

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent So so sorry.
    @mbaker566 Wow! Fantastic effort completing the challenge. Not sure I could at all.
    @rheddmobile Much hugs, totally understand

Got 5 miles today. Didn’t think I would as the during the first 1.5 miles I has such bad TOM cramps. Started out fine and felt good and thought maybe I should do a 5K for the one of the virtual races I have on schedule. But had to stop and walk for a bit, run , walk. Finally they settled and I was able to run and at a pretty good pace after. Nice and cloudy too so that helped. I’ll try again for the 5K another day.

Re stretching. Yeah one should. And I should. Sigh. I’m going to make an effort to now though lol
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent so sorry about your friend's wife. She was a true hero.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @PastorVincent So sorry to hear about your friend's wife. She sounds like a lovely person.