Intermittent fasting

Options
ttpr
ttpr Posts: 9 Member
hey y'all,

I did this whole lose weight thing about 5 years ago. I lost 45 pounds and worked my *kitten* off... literally 😉. Problem was the minute i relinquished 100% control i gained the weight back. Now 2 kids later i was almost at my highest weight. I've started releasing weight again but this time I've started intermittent fasting. I do 16 and 8. Does anyone else add intermittent fasting to their weight release journey?

Replies

• Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do, and when I was less lenient with my fasting I saw great results. If you incorporate exercise and healthy eating, I guarantee you will see awesome results. Good luck to you.
  • twelstand
    twelstand Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey,

yeah i do intermittent fasting, i generally stop eating around 20:00 hours and start again at 1200. the only things i consume during this time is plain water after 20:00 and black coffee with no sugar or milk after i wake up. i find this works very well but they key to being successful for me is the food i consume during eating hours. The biggest tip however i can give you is to make sure that with your dinner in the afternoon/evening, it consists of no lower than 50 percent carbs as they are the main source of energy your body uses and it will go to your carbs first for energy use. if you lower your suggested carb intake for the day your body will find it much harder during fasting and will become very tired a lot quicker. They do however need to be the right type of carbs, these would be complex instead of refined or simple. Complex carbs consist of potato, wholegrain pastas rice and breads. complex carbs are digested by your body slowly over time, helping you to stay full and keeping hunger at bay plus giving your body energy gradually. refined carbs (white pasta and rice) have largely been stripped of anything beneficial to your body and simple carbs (milk,cookies, cakes etc) are digested by your body quickly, meaning you feel hungry quicker and can cause a sugar spike as carbs are where your sugar intake comes from. sorry for the long response, i found it easier to stick to when i understood the nutrition side a bit more.
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also do intermittent fasting. I did a 23:1 yesterday and feel awesome today!
  • lorianncorrea
    lorianncorrea Posts: 151 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I have been doing IF since Dec & I have lost 45lbs. I started with 16/8 but I have recently switched to 18/6.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    twelstand wrote: »
    hey,

yeah i do intermittent fasting, i generally stop eating around 20:00 hours and start again at 1200. the only things i consume during this time is plain water after 20:00 and black coffee with no sugar or milk after i wake up. i find this works very well but they key to being successful for me is the food i consume during eating hours. The biggest tip however i can give you is to make sure that with your dinner in the afternoon/evening, it consists of no lower than 50 percent carbs as they are the main source of energy your body uses and it will go to your carbs first for energy use. if you lower your suggested carb intake for the day your body will find it much harder during fasting and will become very tired a lot quicker. They do however need to be the right type of carbs, these would be complex instead of refined or simple. Complex carbs consist of potato, wholegrain pastas rice and breads. complex carbs are digested by your body slowly over time, helping you to stay full and keeping hunger at bay plus giving your body energy gradually. refined carbs (white pasta and rice) have largely been stripped of anything beneficial to your body and simple carbs (milk,cookies, cakes etc) are digested by your body quickly, meaning you feel hungry quicker and can cause a sugar spike as carbs are where your sugar intake comes from. sorry for the long response, i found it easier to stick to when i understood the nutrition side a bit more.

Your body can use protein, fat, carbs, and alcohol as energy. What satiates one person may not work for another. I ate moderately low carb through most of my weight loss and had nearly effortless hunger control even when eating only one meal a day. Now that my activity level is much higher one meal a day and moderate carb do not work for me as well.
  • twelstand
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Yes, IF can provide a framework for controlling the calories that you consume. I have skipped breakfast at least 5 days a week and more often 7 days a week for probably 20 years. IF is not magical as it does not cause weight loss on it's own - I have gained weight with this eating schedule, I have maintained my weight with this eating schedule and I have gained weight with this eating schedule.
    hey,

Some of this may be true for you, but is not universally true...
    Specifically - I don't eat a lot of carbs so I haven't eaten a meal in the last 6 weeks that had 50% carbs and I haven't had any issues eating IF.

Also, the 'right type' of carbs is complete nonsense. Look up the nutritional info on white rice/white pasta - there is very little if no difference to their 'brown' counterparts. Cookies, milk (not a carb in the first place) and cake are all complex carbs (anything that contains wheat is by definition a complex carb). The icing may be a simple sugar/carb, but even that is moot since the mix of the rest of the carbs will slow done the digestion process.

Yes i understand what you are saying to a certain degree. when it comes to wheat, whole grain is classed as a complex carb and white is classed as a simple carb. majority of cakes and cookies are prepared using white.
    milk is classed generally as carb as per 100ml of skimmed milk as an example, there is 1 g of fat, 3g of protein and 5g of carbs, all of which is sugar and 0 dietary fibre.
    with pasta and rice, though prepared the same way wholegrain is higher in minerals vitamins and complex carbs. many of these have been stripped in the making of pasta and rice that is white.
    i understand what you are saying and thank you for your feedback, i am always trying to learn and expand my knowledge.
  • twelstand
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    hey,

Your body can use protein, fat, carbs, and alcohol as energy. What satiates one person may not work for another. I ate moderately low carb through most of my weight loss and had nearly effortless hunger control even when eating only one meal a day. Now that my activity level is much higher one meal a day and moderate carb do not work for me as well.

yes you are completely correct with that, however my way of thinking is that your body uses carbs first to fuel itself, followed by fat and then protein. i would personally use complex slow digesting carbs to fuel my body so that my muscles are protected from protein being used further down the line. i admit that i dont always meet 50 percent of carbs but when i do i try to use healthier carbs. but of course everyones bodies are different so people react to it differently.
  • ttpr
    Options
    hey,

The biggest tip however i can give you is to make sure that with your dinner in the afternoon/evening, it consists of no lower than 50 percent carbs as they are the main source of energy your body uses and it will go to your carbs first for energy use.

I can't eat 50% carbs and lose weight. I mostly follow a ketogenic low carb, high fat and moderate protein intake diet. If you don't eat carbs then your body has no choice but to burn fat for fuel. I also believe that most carbs are the worst thing you can eat, especially when diabetes runs in my family. You should read the diabetes code and the obesity code by dr Jason Fung. It is absolutely eye opening.
  • twelstand
    Options
    I'd never at like to say to everyone that what I said was only in my opinion and not something that should definitely be followed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I stated what I did as this is what has worked for.
  • ttpr
    Options
    mxicbdfze9vt.jpg

I did a paleo diet and i didn't lower my calorie intake, I've also done the ketogenic diet and never lowered my calorie intake, both times i lost a significant amount of weight. It has everything to do with what foods you eat and how your body handles it.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I do. I do a one main meal and two liquid meal replacement and snack if I get hungry. Bit if I eat enough proteins and fat at my main meal I’m not hungry
  • twelstand
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I'd never at like to say to everyone that what I said was only in my opinion and not something that should definitely be followed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I stated what I did as this is what has worked for.

You are presenting your opinions as prescriptive recommendations and you've had to walk a couple of them back. You may want to reconsider your approach and consider there are some members here with extensive experience and knowledge of nutrition and physiology.

If I have come across in that way I do apologise as it was never intended to be a you must do this. I understand that there are people with a lot of knowledge and experience, I do still stand by some of the things I have said however though I am still learning. No offence intended, I have now been made to feel like an idiot with zero knowledge so won't post on the community again. Hope you are keeping well