June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I haven't ordered them yet. I was going to but I got busy at work and forgot. If you had some extras that would be awesome.

I get up before work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and don't have any problems getting up. On Sunday I try to get up early before it gets too hot, but it is much harder when I don't have to work. I usually get out the door between 5:45 -6:00 on weekdays, but on Sunday I'm doing good to get out before 7:30. I guess having a time deadline makes it easier.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I have lots so send me a message with your address and I will drop them in the mail tomorrow.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I got in 3 miles this evening. It was hot, but I took it slow and easy.

@kgirlhart I was thinking the same thing about the B12 or some other vitamin deficiency. I do take a multivitamin, but maybe something is off.

8.07/100 miles for month
    8.07/298 miles for Run Across Ga (6/1-8/31)

It's always worth getting your thyroid checked if you're getting plenty of sleep but as still feeling fatigued. Maybe just ask for a full blood work up. Could be a number of things.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    pfprimo wrote: »
    @katharmonic thank you for your kind words. Kudos to you on the sprints at the track - you reminded me that speed work is a critical piece to any running regimen. I typically run 3x week, averaging 4-7 miles at a moderate pace (in my case, ~11:45 mile). If I'm going to become a more efficient runner, I really do need to incorporate some speed work, whether its fartleks on my usual routes, or a visit to the local school track. Good stuff and thanks!

@pfprimo I typically do speedwork once a week. Although now because we aren't meeting for run groups and I've been going a bit off-program from what my run coach assigns for the speedwork of the week. But I've been running with this coach for over 4 years and it's pretty ingrained in me to do 1 day a week hard run (speedwork), 1 day a week long run, the rest of the days easy base run. Normally I run 6 days a week but I've been on a run streak since December so I run every day. But one day is usually just a 20-minute run so that is my "rest day".

@teresa502 and @shanaber - yeah, rental is probably the way to go. I already feel like I have too many activities competing for time between running, working out, hiking, walking the dog - I can't imagine I'll fit in a ton of kayaking anyway.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo sorry about the pain and no running. It's hard when your motivated and training for something. I had dry needling done by my PT....it was such an odd feeling having the nerves fired like that. But it did help release really tight areas. And I am convinced so much of my issues stem from tight hips.....I really have to be better about stretching....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question - I know many of you get up really early before work to run. If you didn't have to get up for work would you still get up that early and run?

Background - I used to go for my run before my 6 or 6:30 am meetings started (worked from home). When I stopped working I kept it up for a while but I seem to sleep later and later now (also going to bed later) and I just can't seem to get up early to run any longer. I want to, have been working on getting to bed earlier too , but I never seem to get out the door before 8:30...

Also on another note, after all our discussion on AfterShokz - mine broke today. Same place as last time right by the controls. I don't think I am going to ask for another warranty replacement. I did use some duct tape on them and hoping it will hold them together despite the sweat. I am wondering if it is something I am doing or if it is a more common problem. The first pair lasted 5 months and the replacement 7 months. IDK maybe I should see about another replacement - they have another year on the warranty.
    52dn3099a8oj.jpeg

I bought my Trekz in May of 2019 (I just looked it up) and I have not had any problem with them yet so I suspect you just got an unlucky draw twice. I would personally get them replaced under warranty if I was you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 and @avidkeo - I suspect there are several of us hitchhikers here!]

I got my towel...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I'm going back next week. He seemed fairly confident that I should be OK to run again then. He agreed my plan to drop to the HM for 30 Aug and concentrate on 1 Nov for a full was a good plan.

I agree with @PastorVincent, get them replaced. So annoying!

As for time to run, I have worked out I need to get up 2hrs before work to be able to get a run in (as long as an hr or less), breakfast and get to work. So I just do that. What ever time I'm working, I go out for my run 2 hrs before, unless I start at 3pm, then I just aim to get out before 9am.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Re: morning running. I prefer to run first thing in my day but my husband and I are self-employed extreme night owls, so our day begins in the evening. I’ve read some articles recently that supposedly there are people for whom their circadian is so determined to be nocturnal that it actually counts as a disability - they have trouble holding jobs with normal hours and are just miserable if forced to be awake on a normal schedule. That would be us, except that we have arranged our lives so we work long distance for a company in Geneva, and no one expects us to be awake during the day. When we have to deal with ordinary things like banking in person, we are jet-lagged for a week on either side. During summer in Memphis I have to run early mornings because the climate is hellish, but I do it by staying up, running late in my day, and going to bed around 9 am.

And on that note, we are still under a curfew. @T1DCarnivoreRunner - You remember that bbq place next to Shelby Farms? There was a protest in front of it last night with people lying down in the middle of the road on Germantown rd trying to block traffic. Although it’s scheduled to last until June 8, I am hopeful tomorrow the curfew will be over, since all 4 officers have been sentenced now, and the Memphis mayor has set up a 4 week long series of meetings with the heads of the local protest to discuss implementing their ideas on community policing. The main group has said they are not protesting Thursday or Friday. So that just leaves the splinter groups.

Last night, me, the nocturnal person, freaked the heck out at the feeling of being trapped and unable to legally move about my neighborhood. So we headed out at 28 minutes before curfew for a brisk walk around the neighborhood. Did 2 miles, arrived home 1 minute late.

Tonight we got out during the daytime. I’m doing a timed mile challenge, which is supposed to improve your mile time over a month, and today called for hill repeats. Had a little trouble finding a suitable hill in my neighborhood. The one we picked which always seems kind of difficult when chugging up it at the end of a long run turns out to be kind of a wussy hill when run fresh. Also, it was too hot. 91 degrees and then it rained. Yay maybe it will cool down! No, the street started steaming. And then we started steaming. It was disgusting. No evaporative cooling at all, it was like running in a bathtub. My shoes turn out to not have good traction on the type of asphalt we were running, so every step squeaked and slipped. My husband called for a heat break. So we started walking down and running up. We did five miles, followed by a nature walk. Got wheedled at by a very nice family of baby geese - worried they would charge us but they weren’t aggressive and made sweet noises. Saw a golden skink. By the time it was time to go home, it had cooled off enough for a sane person to start running. I want to run at night!!!!!

The good news is that although I felt like I was running through molasses, not helped by my husband charging past me saying things like, “Are you feeling okay today? I’m having trouble running this slow!” it turns out my uphill pace was consistently between 7:30 and 8:30 - so quite fast for us. He has been doing extra plyo work recently so maybe he is just getting faster on hills.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    03/06 2.55miles
    04/06 2.02 miles - very lethargic run but at least its done. i think Im dehydrated, inside my mouth & lips are salty since yesterday even though I have been drinking water

exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7k moderate
    6-2 7k moderate
    6-3 7k easy
    6-4 7k moderately easy

June Total: 28k
    June Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k

2020 Total through May: 900k

Cloudy, low 60s F and no wind at all this morning. The scent from the multiflora roses was intoxicating. Too tired for moderate pace, but too strong for easy pace, so I did a tweener. My mock orange and roses are blooming, too.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH (can't find it anywhere on line, so suspect it's cancelled)
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH