June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm only up 4.5 miles so far.
    It's just too damned hot, and I'm not about to get up at 4 am in order to beat the sunlight and run outside, then hit the gym, before my shift at 6 am. I work 12 hour shifts...so unfortunately I need to block my running and lifting together or one of them won't happen. Because....sleep and down time is important, too.
    So I've been running on the treadmill in the A/C at the gym after work. I hate the treadmill so much. I know I have more in me but I get so bored that I don't care.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - my dentist just started these 7 am appointments at the first of the year and I think he only does it 2 days a week. It works perfectly for me because I don't have to miss too much work by going early.

No run for me today. Rest day from running but I did a stretch video and an arm workout this morning.
  • Lexigraph
    Lexigraph Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I managed to get in another 3.6 km this morning! I wasn't sure if I would as it was raining cats and dogs when I woke up, but going back to bed paid off for once as the rain stopped and it was still overcast an hour later, which made for a wonderfully cool run. Usually I have to get up pretty early as it's 28 C / 80 F and 75% humidity by 7am here, but it seems the rainy season has finally started and it's been pretty overcast the last few mornings, which I'm loving. I'm not sure how I feel about the prospect of running in the rain though. I only started running a couple months ago, and we haven't seen any real rain since.

exercise.png[img]I was also hoping to get some advice on what seems to be a repetitive strain injury in the front of my right shoulder (Google makes me think it's my Subscapularis muscle). I think I strained it during some Zumba classes a couple weeks ago, throwing some over-enthusiastic jabs and uppercuts with poor form. I've stopped doing Zumba, and some days are better than others, but it still irritates me and can get pretty painful by the end of my run. I try my best to relax my arms, shoulders, and neck muscles when running, and have read some articles on proper form to make sure I'm not doing anything terribly wrong, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I do exercise regularly, but don't do any heavy upper body work except some vigorous yoga twice a week, which doesn't seem to irritate it as much as running does. I only run about 3 times a week, a max of 30 minutes each, but I'd like to do more. I'd also like to start doing some upper body resistance band training, but don't want to make it worse. Should I not, and just try to rest it, ice it when it's sore, etc, or try to strengthen it with targeted exercises? I'd visit a professional but I live on a pretty remote island with a doctor that has little to no experience in this kind of issue. Thanks in advance :)@shanaber and @katharmonic That hedgehog is the best! And happy Friday everyone![/img]
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    06/02/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 6.8
    06/03/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 9.3
    06/04/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 12.7
    06/05/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 15.9

Not early, but a morning run done.

@Lexigraph I don't have any knowledgeable advice on the shoulder. If it's a recent thing, I'd be inclined to really rest it and let it heal rather than trying to target it right now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Lexigraph wrote: »

I was also hoping to get some advice on what seems to be a repetitive strain injury in the front of my right shoulder (Google makes me think it's my Subscapularis muscle). I think I strained it during some Zumba classes a couple weeks ago, throwing some over-enthusiastic jabs and uppercuts with poor form. I've stopped doing Zumba, and some days are better than others, but it still irritates me and can get pretty painful by the end of my run. I try my best to relax my arms, shoulders, and neck muscles when running, and have read some articles on proper form to make sure I'm not doing anything terribly wrong, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I do exercise regularly, but don't do any heavy upper body work except some vigorous yoga twice a week, which doesn't seem to irritate it as much as running does. I only run about 3 times a week, a max of 30 minutes each, but I'd like to do more. I'd also like to start doing some upper body resistance band training, but don't want to make it worse. Should I not, and just try to rest it, ice it when it's sore, etc, or try to strengthen it with targeted exercises? I'd visit a professional but I live on a pretty remote island with a doctor that has little to no experience in this kind of !

Disclaimer. Not a doctor just offering suggestions

The subscapularius is on the back under the shoulder blade. Pain can radiate from back to front though. @Avidkeo you wanna join me in a game of “diagnose me”. Or anyone else? Share experiences?

Anatomical diagrams
    wonssr5ryihl.png
    nqcj6wbrymea.png
    Subscap in light blue.
    Orange. Attachments, bursa of the joint and capsule.

Things to consider: (don’t actually have to share this with the world). What’s your age? Do you have full range of motion? Which motion causes the most pain? Have you noticed a decrease in strength? Any numbness or tingling in your hand?

Personal experience
    I have been unlucky enough to to have developed a frozen shoulder. So my first concern is that it goes beyond a strain. If it is the beginning of a frozen shoulder, ice and NSAID’s (Advil, ibuprofen, naproxen) and keep moving it but do not injure it further, and see doc/get steroid injection if possible, see a physical therapist for help. I think mine became seriously worse when I fell in the beginning of it. Seems to have become miserable quickly after that. It still is miserable. I think it will be miserable for ever. Woe is me. 🙄 haha!

Other possibilities;
    Bursitis
    Rotator cuff tear
    Bone spurs

• Lexigraph
    Lexigraph Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'll be 30 in a couple months. I have full range of motion and maybe a slight decrease in strength. The most painful movement so far has been taking a tight sports bra off (arms crossed, and pulling up and off overhead).

Subscap was an uneducated guess, my knowledge of human anatomy is very poor. Pain is definitely in the front, and just above my armpit (see photo). I've noticed that, while running, if I press into it it stops hurting.
    thnrc53br13a.jpg

Unfortunately seeing a doc, PT, or getting a steroid injection would be very difficult to impossible, which is why I definitely don't want it to get worse! Its come and gone and come back over the last couple weeks, and is mostly just irritating, but would be nice to figure out what it is. Regardless, it seems like my best bet is just going to be to try my best to rest it for a while like @katharmonic suggested.

Oh I should also mention, it's my right shoulder, (dominant arm), so is difficult to avoid using during the day, and I definitely notice a nagging tiredness in the affected joint/muscle throughout the day after a longer morning run.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7k moderate
    6-2 7k moderate
    6-3 7k easy
    6-4 7k moderately easy
    6-5 7k easily moderate

June Total: 35k
    June Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k

2020 Total through May: 900k

Cloudy, low 60s F and little wind this morning. Didn't sleep well so I started off slowly. However, I eventually found the rhythm I couldn't find yesterday, so it turned into a pretty nice run.
    Took me a long time to log into the site from my computer, although my phone seemed fine.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH (can't find it anywhere on line, so suspect it's cancelled)
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls You are a beast, as always!

@Tramboman I've had the same issue with the site today. It will let me go to things like, log food and community, but won't open up my home page. Some sort of glitch today, I guess. I thought it was just my slow internet that seems to get worse when it rains.

@Lexigraph I have no insights, but hope your shoulder gets better quickly.

I'm calling today a rest day. I was supposed to play tennis this morning for XT, but wires got crossed and 5 showed up. Only 4 can play. I volunteered to bow out since I needed to do some shopping and didn't want to get home too late. I had planned to run or XT after I got home, but can't seem to get motivated to do it on a gloomy, rainy afternoon. I'm scheduled to do a 10 mile run tomorrow, which will be my longest ever, if I get it done. So, a rest day today isn't going to hurt me.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    You'll get that 10 miler tomorrow @quilteryoyo!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Lol @elise4270 you know me well! Haha love it. @Lexigraph I actually don't know a huge amount with the shoulder first, it's definitely not subscap. The spot you are sore in is called the acromion and you do have ligament attachments there, it's possible you have strained something. It's only been 2 weeks, so way too early to think steroid shots anyway. A quick Google sounds like this:
    https://www.yourphysio.org.uk/condition-directory/sub-acromial-pain-syndrome-shoulder-impingement/

I think the running arm swing mimics the same action as punching in zumba, grated a bit slower, hence why it's causing you pain. Honestly you probably need to take a week off - ligaments take a while to settle.

But then I'm a bone expert, not a muscle expert lol so take my advice with a grain of salt! But typically with tendons and ligaments is rest, with gentle stretching.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Lol @elise4270 you know me well! Haha love it. @Lexigraph I actually don't know a huge amount with the shoulder first, it's definitely not subscap. The spot you are sore in is called the acromion and you do have ligament attachments there, it's possible you have strained something. It's only been 2 weeks, so way too early to think steroid shots anyway. A quick Google sounds like this:
    https://www.yourphysio.org.uk/condition-directory/sub-acromial-pain-syndrome-shoulder-impingement/

I think the running arm swing mimics the same action as punching in zumba, grated a bit slower, hence why it's causing you pain. Honestly you probably need to take a week off - ligaments take a while to settle.

But then I'm a bone expert, not a muscle expert lol so take my advice with a grain of salt! But typically with tendons and ligaments is rest, with gentle stretching.

I like the way you think! I'd agree since @Lexigraph is less than 40yo and I missed it being symptomatic for 2 weeks. Hope it heals quickly!
    Trapped inside. No protests here to speak of for the past two days but the mayor just announced they expect to keep extending curfew “indefinitely.” Apparently not being allowed outside at night is the new normal. This is why I didn’t run in the day today:
    mjbtuef712n8.jpeg
    This was 11 am. It got hotter later.

There are thunderstorms all during the early evening so no running for me today. I guess I will use my stationary bike. Running was the last thing keeping me sane and now they have taken it away. I had kept running despite not being allowed to use a park or go anywhere pretty but now I’m not even allowed to see the sky at night. I’m about ready to give up.

holy kitten @rheddmobile that's warm! I sure hope you get your night sky back soon. Be safe.