Replies

• PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    WINE

And this ❤
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    My mom is visiting for the weekend. My mom's and I relationship is strained and I haven't seen her since last year but I can't wait to hug her. This time apart has shown me differences can be put aside and to always be forgiving. A great reminder to love and hold the ones you cherish while they are still here on this earth.

I hope that you enjoy the visit and whatever caused the rift between you two can be healed. Nothing is more important than family.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I feel so sorry for Gen-Z...what a horrible era to grow up in.

Not trying to be argumentative, generally interested to know why you think so?
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member

The internet, smart-phones and rise of social media mainly...yeah I know the hypocrisy of posting that here. Its probably just nostalgia goggles.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    My mom is visiting for the weekend. My mom's and I relationship is strained and I haven't seen her since last year but I can't wait to hug her. This time apart has shown me differences can be put aside and to always be forgiving. A great reminder to love and hold the ones you cherish while they are still here on this earth.

Hope you have a fantastic visit, K. 😊🤗
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Yet again I am confronted with the painful realization that my mother is a racist. Not a subtle one, either. She doesn't do anything confrontational to PoCs or avoid them, but in her statements about illegal immigrants and what is going on in the world, she has made it QUITE clear what she thinks about "those people".

I... am at a loss for what to do or say. Can I really go on my entire life saying nothing to her about it when our relationship was already tenuous and wasn't ever really that strong to begin with? I have no biological mother; she adopted and raised me... but yet, while I love her, it really, REALLY bothers me that she's this way. I know if I bring it up, it will lead her to not talking to me again for years, possibly until her death.

I'd like to maintain my relationship with her, but honestly.. the racist *kitten* really bothers me when she brings it up.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,002 Member
    Yet again I am confronted with the painful realization that my mother is a racist. Not a subtle one, either. She doesn't do anything confrontational to PoCs or avoid them, but in her statements about illegal immigrants and what is going on in the world, she has made it QUITE clear what she thinks about "those people".

I... am at a loss for what to do or say. Can I really go on my entire life saying nothing to her about it when our relationship was already tenuous and wasn't ever really that strong to begin with? I have no biological mother; she adopted and raised me... but yet, while I love her, it really, REALLY bothers me that she's this way. I know if I bring it up, it will lead her to not talking to me again for years, possibly until her death.

I'd like to maintain my relationship with her, but honestly.. the racist *kitten* really bothers me when she brings it up.

I’m sorry. Sounds like a tough situation to be in. At the very least you know the cycle has stopped with you and that’s a great thing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2

The internet, smart-phones and rise of social media mainly...yeah I know the hypocrisy of posting that here. Its probably just nostalgia goggles.

I think like most things it's a double edged sword. The availability and speed at which you can get information enables us to successfully accomplish more than previous generations were able to. Blogs, YouTube, and the like make it so easy to learn new things. Access to eduction online can be beneficial as well. But, there are no requirements to setting up a YouTube channel, so the burden of due diligence gets put on the searcher. But that was always there anyways, its just a little different now. Do I ask Bob down the street how to do this or a professional carpenter?

Social media can be useful for keeping in touch. In light of current events, I feel it also gives me access to the perspective from people I normally don't deal with in my everyday life, and that can be educational for me. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle it, I can't argue with your personal experiences and opinions, but I try to do at least some basic fact checking when I can. But, this whole "fake news" thing, it's not really all that new. News has always walked the line between providing information and being a means for propognda. Everything in life is "bigger" now, but I don't really believe it's all that different. And while different sites may try to narrow your views, all it takes is a quick Google search and you can easily find different perspective on any event. So, again, easier access if you are smart enough to seize the opportunity.

I was concerned about the reported social media related depression, everyone is only seeing your perfect life you present to them, not real life. Most of my experice with this has been related to parenting, I'm never going to be perfect like some of the mommy bloggers present themselves. But I have also seen a huge surge in "real mom life" type blogging too. So I go back to my previous point of if you looks for it it's there. You can find the support you need.

TL, DR: if you control your internet life it's awesome, if you let it control you then not so much.

• PlentyofProtein00

I think like most things it's a double edged sword. The availability and speed at which you can get information enables us to successfully accomplish more than previous generations were able to. Blogs, YouTube, and the like make it so easy to learn new things. Access to eduction online can be beneficial as well. But, there are no requirements to setting up a YouTube channel, so the burden of due diligence gets put on the searcher. But that was always there anyways, its just a little different now. Do I ask Bob down the street how to do this or a professional carpenter?

Social media can be useful for keeping in touch. In light of current events, I feel it also gives me access to the perspective from people I normally don't deal with in my everyday life, and that can be educational for me. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle it, I can't argue with your personal experiences and opinions, but I try to do at least some basic fact checking when I can. But, this whole "fake news" thing, it's not really all that new. News has always walked the line between providing information and being a means for propognda. Everything in life is "bigger" now, but I don't really believe it's all that different. And while different sites may try to narrow your views, all it takes is a quick Google search and you can easily find different perspective on any event. So, again, easier access if you are smart enough to seize the opportunity.

I was concerned about the reported social media related depression, everyone is only seeing your perfect life you present to them, not real life. Most of my experice with this has been related to parenting, I'm never going to be perfect like some of the mommy bloggers present themselves. But I have also seen a huge surge in "real mom life" type blogging too. So I go back to my previous point of if you looks for it it's there. You can find the support you need.

TL, DR: if you control your internet life it's awesome, if you let it control you then not so much.

I read...very well put. The amount of screen time can become unhealthy. It is important to teach kids to set limits. But that's just like with anything in life that can become unhealthy. We teach them healthier food options but that it's ok to have 1 oreo. We can also teach them puzzles, board games, books, and outside are also fun and limit the time they use the phone.
  • amorfati601070
    Where do you see yourself in 5 yesrs from now?
  • amorfati601070
    edited June 2020
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Imagine asking that question in 2015.

"Oh... in five years time, I see myself in a pandemic induced lockdown for months on end while watching American cities burn on television and shopping for 9mm handguns online."

Congratulations, you've got the job. Now your first task today is skinning this bat over here, then I'm gonna get u to butcher this pangolin for me. We're running on a tight schedule today, no need for any of this hand sanitation crap. Thanks
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member

"Oh... in five years time, I see myself in a pandemic induced lockdown for months on end while watching American cities burn on television and shopping for 9mm handguns online."

Congratulations, you've got the job. Now your first task today is skinning this bat over here, then I'm gonna get u to butcher this pangolin for me. We're running on a tight schedule today, no need for any of this hand sanitation crap. Thanks

I will need to decline the generous offer of employment.

Instead, my time will be spent preparing for the next inevitable and oncoming World War.

....... take a look at history; it tends to repeat itself, it damn sure does.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member

Instead, my time will be spent preparing for the next inevitable and oncoming World War.

iiqkaee5j9x2.gif
  • skahtboi
    skahtboi Posts: 7,804 Member

It sure must be tough living with so much fear and paranoia. Kinda reminds me of that old Kinks song, Destroyer.

https://youtu.be/wRpAANsoG8I

• 4legsRbetterthan2

I basically just wrapped up my last 5 year plan that was centered around getting a master's. Honestly, right now, I don't really have any big goals. Keep on trying to be the best parent I can be, keep on with my job that I am currently very happy in.

I recently purchased a 4 yo horse that needs lots of miles and exposure but has the foundation/personality to be a super trail horse. It will take some time to build our relationship to where we can visit some nearby parks and have some great off-site rides. I'd love to get my own horse trailer in a few years and be able to get out more with her. One day, daycare bills will end!
  • PlentyofProtein00
    ghudson92 wrote: »

May I quote one of the queens of our time:

This *kitten* is bananas
    B
    A
    N
    A
    N
    A
    S

This has been my summary of 2020 thanks for coming to my Ted talk

😂😂😂yup
  • PlentyofProtein00

Wow...good question. Traveling. Selling my home and looking to downsize. Traveling. Probably injections to keep me younger looking...yup part of my 5 yr plan.