What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Hour on the bike trainer yesterday and today was a run day.

70 minute run done mostly at an easy pace, with two rounds of hill repeats in the middle. Each round was 4 x 2 minutes (2minutes uphill max effort,3 minute recovery), 10 min base pace run, then repeated 4x2min hill work.

• laurosaurusrex
    laurosaurusrex Posts: 66 Member
    I start each day with 20-30 min on the spin bike and then weights in the evening. This week starts 4x a week strength training alternating upper and lower body. Today was upper:

Row
    Bench press
    Lateral raise
    DB pullover
    Bicep curl
    Tricep extension
    DB shrug
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    35 minutes on the C2 rower this AM @ 2:27.9 pace/19 SPM and then 25 minutes on the AD Pro (Assault Bike) @ around 150 Watts. Had to cut the row short with increased stroke power and smoke in the air.

Today and tomorrow the wildfire is within 3 miles of my house. Started out 12 days ago 10 miles away and we have watched it gradually go from 200 acres to well over 10,000 acres with nearly 800 firefighters and Hotshots fighting it. Just heard Al Roker talking about it on the Today show in the other room as I work from my office. The entire mountain was glowing last night but they saved Summerhaven, a charming town on top Mt Lemmon. Summerhaven is the appropriate name. When it's 107 here on the ground in Tucson, it's a pleasant 75 up on the mountain in the heat of the Summer. I was up there last year for Father's Day. Lovely place.

Forest Firefighters are badasses! Amazing folks that don't get enough credit. Four have had heat stroke battling flames in 100 degree conditions with 50 MPH winds. The aircraft got grounded yesterday, should join back in today. Keeping my fingers crossed they can save that town.
  • Djproulx
    Easy 45 minute spin on the bike trainer. Warmup spin, then 5 x 5 min blocks (3min aerobic, 1min high cadence, 1 min threshold), then cooldown.

I've moved the bike trainer out onto my patio to get a change of scenery and to get more acclimated to the heat.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I did an hour's yoga before breakfast.

I got a short walk over lunch, and a long one before dinner, getting 20,000 steps over the day.

I hangboarded in the evening, followed by pull ups. The hangboarding eventually went OK, although I failed a few things first time and got them second attempt. My max pull up reps unweighted was 15, which is OK by my standards.
  • MikePfirrman
    Easy hour today. Didn't feel great (not terrible either) all day yesterday and work today not feeling great. It is my hardest session normally. Scrapped that and did 30 minutes on the LateralX and 30 on the Assault Bike.

REALLY smoky today. Should get better by the weekend. They are doing "backburns" today near my neighborhood to prevent the fire from coming down hill. Winds much better today, which will allow the DC 10s to work hard. Though it's not controlled, after today, it will head the other direction.

There's a young man in the Sub7 Virtual Rowing club that I participate in. Isaiah Harrison, a 16 year old American rowing phenom, is facing off today against Oliver Zeidler in a virtual World Competition. Zeidler is the number one German (23 years old) and the current singles World Champion (over the water -- real rowers). Harrison owns every male WR on the rower for his age class below 18. He's insanely good and going to be a huge American Olympic threat to win Gold in singles rowing at the next Olympics, dominated currently mostly by Europeans, Australians and New Zealanders. I wouldn't doubt he can beat Zeidler on the machine already. But it's not a real boat but Harrison is progessing really fast in the boat as well.

Why is this a big deal? It's been 100 years since the US had an Olympic men's champion in the single scull. Isaiah is destroying the youth and taking on the big boys at 16!
  • Djproulx
    Fairly warm and humid this morning for my bike/run. Took a scenic route and went 1:55:00 on the bike (34 miles, 17.5mph ave), then a quick 2 minute transition into an easy 25 minute run. Now it's off to mow half the lawn while there is still some shade in the back yard.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    Odd day. I only went one town further to pick up something I bought.. then decided to rent a bike at the station and cycled around for two hours. Those station rental bikes are..well.. about 20kg, very deep bar thus not very stable, pedal breaks that don't work properly and no gears. I didn't cycle a lot, but it's not really fun to use them anyway.

Tonight at 20:00 I suddenly thought: oh heck, lets get the race bike and go on a little trip. Not super far or fast, but I mainly cycled through forest - not every path really that suitable for a racebike. Came back at 22:00. But yes, that was a lot more fun than the bike earlier.
  • losing1982
    losing1982 Posts: 1 Member
    I ran for about 10 minutes in the morning, then hopped on my stationary bike for another 10 minutes. In the afternoon I did some back squats and burpees.
  • drmwc
    edited June 2020
    Climbed yesterday.

The full session was:
    Non-climbing warm up
    Dynamic stretches. Jump rope. Band stuff. Low effort pull ups. Low effort hangboarding.

Climbing warm up
    4 easy routes. I gradually increased the difficulty, so actually fell off the fourth one my first go. I got it next time.

Power moves
    I practiced big dyno moves with large jumps.

Projecting
    I tried a route that is way too hard for me. I am making slow progress. I got the first move, and my fingertips are on the hold for the next move.

Leg work
    Pogo practice (swing a leg off the wall to generate momentum to jump to the next hold). Dropped knee practice - do a drop knee each move. Nominate a dead leg, and go up the wall without that leg touching the wall

Warm down
    Light weight stuff targeting the forearm flexors and extensors, to try to avoid tendonitis.

It was 2 and a half hours in total.
  • Djproulx
    Did an easy paced woods run this morning. Just over 5 miles in 80 minutes. We walked/climbed the steepest parts and sections with heavily exposed root growth, then ran the rest of it. It was an easy and fun recovery effort.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Wasn’t feeling all that awesome, been dealing with a sore neck/headache for a few days. Figured I’d run for as long as I could and just stop when I couldn’t go anymore. Ended up doing the full 5K in record time for me (34:20). So go figure...

Did 60+ push-ups, 20+ chin-ups, and some core work for a finisher.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, too!
  • yirara
    Went on a little cycle ride this afternoon , which got a bit longer. But anyway, nice ride despite the strong wind.

In the evening I did my foam rolling and yoga/stretching routine. My much tighter right side is getting much more flexible than left for some reason. I finally managed to get into a proper pigeon pose (proper form, compared to the thingy on the front page of the app), and then did my front splits routine. Right to the front also gets quite a bit deeper down than left now. I was so surprised by that that I nearly jumped out of the splits :D
  • drmwc
    I did an hour's yoga just after breakfast. Then, after lunch, I did a 10 mile walk.

Finally, in the evening, I did a quick climb. This was deliberately less structured than the previous day - it was supposed to be active recovery rather than full on intensity. Naturally, I got bored of climbing easy, and ended doing some silly max effort stuff towards the end. I concentrated on using the lower quality holds more than I normally do. This was quite short - just 80 minutes or so in total.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I've not been posting as I went off schedule. I'm still moving about just not on a program for now. It's too rigid (although effective) and my brain needs flexibility right now.

Today's morning workout: 90 min of running, squatting, push-upping, tricep dipping and stair climbing about my neighborhood like a mad woman.

If it cools down before dark, I may go out again but focus on lower body resistance sans cardio 💁🏿‍♀️
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2020
    Another 30 minutes on the LateralX and 30 on the Assault Bike. All pretty easy stuff. I've resigned myself to the fact that I likely won't row much until the wildfires are completely out. It's been extremely smoky outside and not worth it to row. Couldn't even swim this weekend the smoke was so bad.

Shouldn't complain but the wildfires are burning up pretty much the entire Santa Catalina's, a national treasure and one that we cherish in Tucson. The pines won't likely recover in my lifetime. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think it is when all said and done but I'm not real optimistic. Good news is no lives or homes have been lost but the alpine pine trees and saguaros (that can live 100 years) have been decimated. You'd have to live here to understand, but we get super hot in the Summers -- like 103 to 107. But you always knew you could drive up the mountain for an hour and it would be 70 degrees and you'd feel like you're in Colorado, not the Sonoran Desert. Much of that slice of heaven is gone, so it's been a bit depressing for us all here. 1000 firefighters now working on it -- really at this point not to put it out but to let it burn itself out or control it away from structures until we get rain in mid to late July.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Longer than average run on a very warm central Florida morning. sebbmg0ezw01.jpg
  • yirara
    Finally did a proper full body strength session again, basically the Reddit RR. It wasn't pretty, but it was a lot of fun. In the evening my arms and backs started to hurt (trying to do negative pull-ups without having the muscles for it is tough on your arms) and so I did another hour of my foam rolling, massaging, yoga and stretching routine. This time without proper splits attempts because my legs need the break after the earlier workout.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Ran 4 miles in the southern heat and humidity. When will I get used to it??
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Upper on PHUL and a very quick upper/core circuit. And 13K steps ;) I am tired but good to get back in routine :)