• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2019
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Sunday.
    Active rest, well sort of.

Total of 19min on the rower. Dampener on 6, but high effort. 14min to warm up and another 5min to cool down. Really working on form and putting a lot more strength in to it. Elbow felt good which is why I decided to try pulling harder than I have been. May even be ready to restart interval work next week.

Between the 2 rows I did an hour of piyo. Got through most of it ok, but found the core section hard. Still i love how stretched out i feel after a piyo workout.

2mile fairly easy but cold night run taking in my challenge hill. Only 4 more runs in my challenge now.

Just an fyi, damper setting has nothing to do with effort level on a rowing machine. Having it much if at all above a 6 would be an unwise decision in most cases excluding the flywheel being really dirty. It would be more advantages to go off of drag factor. There's more information on Concept 2's website:
    https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101
    https://www.concept2.com/news/what-damper-setting-should-i-use
    http://archive.usrowing.org/news/details/06-01-03/Demystifying_the_Drag_Factor.aspx

I've been going really easy in the rower thanks to my elbow. Last night was the first time I'd put effort in. Unfortunately the rower itself.is not the best maintained and very old. I usually have the dampener on 8, anything lower and I can't get a smooth action as it feels like I'm pulling on air.

Since it's a Concept2, something useful to you might be ErgData. It's a free app that you can get on your cell phone and for an older PM (computer or monitor for the rower), you can buy a cord and cradle that attaches to the rower and give you data/feedback.

Sometimes, the "air" feeling is that the DF (drag factor) is low, other times it just means your drive distance is choppy and not very far or efficient (which, ironically, could be caused from too high of a DF). Not to pick on folks at my gym, but the guy next to me yesterday was mostly pulling "air", though he had the DF up way higher than mine. The reason being he was only pulling the chain around one foot and then scooting back in again. A nice drive should be around 2.5 to 3.5 feet or one meter, depending on your leg, arm and body length (also flexibility at the ankle and waist). ErgData will tell you how long your drive distance is. Even at low DFs, you still should be able to row. My Personal Best (7:11 2K) was done at a 103 DF, which is lower than many women in my online club use! There's a guy in my indoor club that is a world class indoor rower that does tons of work at the lowest DF his rower can go -- he says it helps him with form. I'm not sure how (likely his acceleration and form are so strong), but it's also ridiculous the paces he can put out on extremely low DFs (like in the 1:40s).

Went harder at the gym yesterday than I had in a while. Changing it up a bit now. I've done enough base building. Adding in like two or three weeks of "stress". Did nearly 2 hard hours yesterday at the gym -- burned around 1700 calories in an hour and fifty minutes. Lots of hard splurts/intervals mixed in along with some weights, heavy KBs, decline pushups and more. Will likely add in Box Jumps and some other things. First time, in this gym, that I've really amped it up. Had a few gawkers staring. For an old man, my strength endurance is quite strong at this stage (not peak strenght, which needs work, thus this workout!).

First one was when I should have been done, then my wife wanted to do the sauna for 20 minutes, so I kept at it 20 minutes more.

@ Aoyoke & Ann -- I'm jealous as always, beautiful pictures from both of you!!

wr078s5fmj6f.png
    yswh4al8018i.png
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    My workout yesterday: Marine Corps Marathon #notsohumblebrag

Awesome. Congrats. Humblebrag merited!!
  • Danicus10
    Danicus10 Posts: 31 Member
    My workout yesterday: Marine Corps Marathon #notsohumblebrag

Semper fi! brag all you want!
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    45 minute Peleton power zone ride.

A bunch of threshold pace with VO2 max thrown in. Walk dog for 20 min for cool down. Hit 40% weight loss goal today...so on track for 50% by Thanksgiving.

But....need a rest day. Feeling a little burnt out.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Sunday.

Total of 19min on the rower. Dampener on 6, but high effort. 14min to warm up and another 5min to cool down. Really working on form and putting a lot more strength in to it. Elbow felt good which is why I decided to try pulling harder than I have been. May even be ready to restart interval work next week.

Between the 2 rows I did an hour of piyo. Got through most of it ok, but found the core section hard. Still i love how stretched out i feel after a piyo workout.

2mile fairly easy but cold night run taking in my challenge hill. Only 4 more runs in my challenge now.

Just an fyi, damper setting has nothing to do with effort level on a rowing machine. Having it much if at all above a 6 would be an unwise decision in most cases excluding the flywheel being really dirty. It would be more advantages to go off of drag factor. There's more information on Concept 2's website:
    https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101
    http://archive.usrowing.org/news/details/06-01-03/Demystifying_the_Drag_Factor.aspx

I've been going really easy in the rower thanks to my elbow. Last night was the first time I'd put effort in. Unfortunately the rower itself.is not the best maintained and very old. I usually have the dampener on 8, anything lower and I can't get a smooth action as it feels like I'm pulling on air.

Yeah I know the feeling of really poorly maintained ergs. I basically either erg on very well maintained ones that the juniors club that my rowing club shares space and resources with own or the extremely poorly maintained ones at my university. I would still suggest going by drag factor over damper setting, really making sure your form is correct
    (again, see various concept 2 videos and I hear good things about darkhorse), and not being ashamed or afraid of rowing at a low drag factor.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Monday is a weight lifting class day. Squat, bench press, deadlift. It's amusing because I'm the weakest among my group of 5 at everything other than deadlifts which is where I'm the strongest. I deadlifted 195lbs, but I could have done 200 with good form.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Back to the usual 7K rowing the double, on a beautiful, clear, nearly wind-less Fall Morning. Staying kind of low intensity, and doing some zig-zagging (longer path) to keep the single shell that was out with us in sight for safety backup.

Still lower 40s F, but it feels so much warmer if dry/calm/sunny. A lot of green leaves remain, but the colored-up trees are super vibrant, and the sun juices them up even more.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Half hour walk. Had planned on an hour long swim, but I had an hour-long nose bleed instead x.x
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    morning workout in my home gym, walk to and from work and a 3k run/jog
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Sunday.

Since it's a Concept2, something useful to you might be ErgData. It's a free app that you can get on your cell phone and for an older PM (computer or monitor for the rower), you can buy a cord and cradle that attaches to the rower and give you data/feedback.

Sometimes, the "air" feeling is that the DF (drag factor) is low, other times it just means your drive distance is choppy and not very far or efficient (which, ironically, could be caused from too high of a DF). Not to pick on folks at my gym, but the guy next to me yesterday was mostly pulling "air", though he had the DF up way higher than mine. The reason being he was only pulling the chain around one foot and then scooting back in again. A nice drive should be around 2.5 to 3.5 feet or one meter, depending on your leg, arm and body length (also flexibility at the ankle and waist). ErgData will tell you how long your drive distance is. Even at low DFs, you still should be able to row. My Personal Best (7:11 2K) was done at a 103 DF, which is lower than many women in my online club use! There's a guy in my indoor club that is a world class indoor rower that does tons of work at the lowest DF his rower can go -- he says it helps him with form. I'm not sure how (likely his acceleration and form are so strong), but it's also ridiculous the paces he can put out on extremely low DFs (like in the 1:40s).

Thanks. I've been working hard on form over the last couple of.months as I couldn't use much force. I'm extremely short, with little legs but try and get full range.

I know what you mean though about people who dont move much, there was a lady doing 45 strokes a min on level 1, but was doing 4min/500m moving in a range of maybe 6inches. I was still on level 5, and taking it very easy, 26-28 strokes a min, 2:50/500m. I struggled to keep my mouth shut.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Monday.
    It's my PTs birthday and she had the cheek to take the day off so no training or classes. (Also my little boys birthday, so we spent the day together).

All I've done today is a 20min easy run taking in my challenge hill
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @ Runnergirl -- Congrats on your marathon, that's huge! Very sorry I missed that yesterday on the first time skimming through!

Today was pretty much recovery day workout. 50 minutes, first 30 on the rower @ 2:22 pace/18 and 19 SPM, then an even easier session on the AirBike.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    50 minutes on the elliptical trainer and back workout (chin-ups, seated row, pull downs)
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    I stretched 30 minutes this morning to help with recovery, and am stretching my (new) injury throughout the day until I can see my physiotherapist tomorrow.
    My plan is to now go to the gym and exercise the other parts that are still working!!!
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Warm up:
    5 min lateral helix machine

StrongLifts workout A:
    5x5 squats
    5x5 bench press
    5x5 bent over row

30 sec each foot balancing on bosu
    2x20 hip dips

Cool down/cardio:
    15 min elliptical
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Am back and holding myself accountable. I did go to the gym! I couldn't do my usual exercises due to what appears to be a hip flexor stran that happened yesterday. But, I still did:
    45 min stretching
    15 min rowing (modified for one leg only) cardio/body warm-up
    105 min strengthening: PT exercises *one-leg* only circuit: squats, balancing, weighted lunges, dead lifts, airplane, hopping, cross-stepping, BFR to fail on leg extension, some ab work, bicep, triceps, lats/pull-ups, back, planks, push-ups, cool-down...
    It's whatever I could fit in without using or causing pain to my right hip flexor!
  • Cyberbartender
    Cyberbartender Posts: 1,319 Member
    The day is still young here. I am thinking of jumping on my bike and ride 30-40 km. BUT I think I might wait until later and take a double class of spinning. It is not easy, because the sun is shining, but it is cold outside. :p
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    2 hours' bouldering. This was a pretty good session. I got loads of new v1/v3s (which were probably closer to V3 than v1) and two new V3/v4s ( which were both also probably V3).

After this, I was pretty pumped, do I spent the last hour falling off the wall a lot.