Women 200lb+, Let's Shoot for the Moon this June!!!

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Well, I'm still plateaued, but I'm just going to pack up the jeans I'm not quite into and live with it for another couple weeks. I'm busy, and that may shift it, and if not, as soon as we can manage it after the move the three of us are getting memberships at the YMCA that is just around the corner from our new house. Eventually us two girls will be able to walk there as a warmup for our workouts, it's that close! And I know it will recomp, at minimum, when I start doing weight work again.
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    FoolishJoy wrote: »
    g47vhurjegyk.png

I may not be losing according to the scale, but I AM losing fat in my tummy and legs.

What do you mean, woman?!!!! Your figure is my goal! Keep up the awesome work.

• FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    edited June 2020

What do you mean, woman?!!!! Your figure is my goal! Keep up the awesome work.

Bwahahahahahahaha! Thank you! I just mean that the scale has been stuck on the same 2 numbers for 3 weeks! I have a feeling that it's because I'm gaining muscle: I have this wonderful new set poking out of my thighs!
  • FoolishJoy
    speyerj wrote: »
    @Mithridites - you are awesome. I love how you are taking a difficult chapter in your life, one where you might feel like things are beyond your control and figuring out what you can control and how to make something positive and beautiful out of it. Welcome to Onederland!

And @FoolishJoy - holy cow! I can't believe that's just 14 days! Yeah, you don't need a scale to tell you that you are killing it. But don't worry the scale will show your progress soon.

And while we are on the topic of the scale and the whole question of whether building muscle hides weight loss on the scale - this is something I learned recently. When we are eating at a deficit and doing strength training it's possible to gain muscle, but it happens really, really slowly - takes months to put on a pound of muscle. So the sudden weight gain that you see when you've been burning fat through your calorie deficit but also doing strength training isn't muscle mass. It's water. Because when you put your body under stress - mental or physical - you produce the stress hormone cortisol, and that makes you retain water. Strength training and eating at a deficit puts your body under physical stress. The good news is that it's completely temporary. The bad news is that this cycle repeats itself. Long time losers have been through that cycle so many times we just expect it. We will drop 3 or 4 pounds one week and then nothing for 3 weeks. It's just the way it goes. But even when the scale isn't showing our progress, we know we are on track. Don't let the scale get you down. It's just one data point of many.

Thank you so much! That was seriously helpful!

The new thigh muscle I'm seeing is from doing leg workout videos for about 2 months, so it seems to be on track, but absolutely, the water retention thing makes sense too!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,357 Member
    Hello all:
    Jumping back in, need to be accountable.
  • FoolishJoy
    speyerj wrote: »
    And speaking of dropping weight:

Name: Jane
    SW: 286.5 (6/3/19)
    GW: 175
    5/31 weight: 179.3

Weekly tracking
    6/6: 180.1
    6/13: 179.1
    6/20: 176.9
    6/27:
    6/30:

Goals for June:
    Run 11 miles on June 22nd - heading out for my first run in since 6/3 as soon as the rain dies down. I don't know how many miles I'll be able to do, but I'm just going to go out and see what happens.
    Walk for 45 minutes a day - rocked this goal. I really got a chance to explore my neighborhood, heading out with my camelback and finding the highest hills I could climb for 2 to 3 hour weekend urban hikes. I normally avoid running in my neighborhood because its ridiculously hilly. But walking isn't a problem. It was a nice change of pace to walk instead of run.
    Get 10,000 steps a day - no problem. Only day this month I didn't make that goal was when I spent 6 hours in the ER.
    Maintain a 500/calorie deficit/day - I'm enjoying losing at a slower pace. I have to watch my nighttime snacking. Back when I was more disciplined it was easier to forgo the carb laden nighttime treat. I had to remind myself that having a high protein snack kills the carb munchies.
    Maintain below 180 - excited to have two weekly weigh ins below 180. While I know I can stand to lose more weight, all my clothes fit me right now - these are clothes from 5 years ago when I lost 100 pounds previously. They are lovely and in great shape and I don't want to get too small to wear them. Right now they are loose, but not so loose that someone would say they don't fit well. So I'm contemplating maintaining through the summer between 173-177. I'll set the goal weight at 175 and just try to stay there for 3 months. This avoids unnecessary trips to clothing stores.
    Stay well heal my injuries/Stay safe/Not sick - Bruising on my face has healed. Still have a tender spot on my cheek and some facial pain. But headaches are better and my brain is working better. Concussions are no joke!

You're so close to your GW!!! Git it, girl!
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    Hey, everyone! This seems like a great community. I'm 42, 5'8", currently at 209, goal weight 164. I put an actual picture in my profile because, like, it's a normal picture of me, I look like myself, but you can tell from the picture I could stand to lose some weight.

I've never been thin, I've always had a BMI of 25, so I've never thought of myself as someone who "can eat anything she wants and not gain weight." But looking back I realize that when I was, say, 30 I could eat a couple of pints of ice cream a WEEK and stay at a size 12. If I needed to fit into some of my smaller clothes, like an interview suit or one of my mother's college dresses or something, I just laid off the sweets for a month or so. Well, I'm 43 in July and let me tell you, those days are gone. :D So younger people on this thread--monitor your food intake but ENJOY the occasional treat while you still can!

Special treat: I am on Zyprexa/olanzapine and gained 40 lbs. in less than 6 months a couple of years ago. If you're on a psych Rx or any other annoying medication, feel free to friend or message me.