WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Went to WalMart and got the pool salt. Evidently, the WM by us coded it wrong. They entered water softener salt. So I had to go to another WalMart. Didn’t bother with the farmer’s market, but stopped at the Salvation Army. As expected, they didn’t have anything. Now home and making chocolate bran muffins. I did find some low sodium bacon at WM so I think I’ll make that. Update: baked it.

Barbie – when our mower finally bit the dust (with help from me…but…shhhh), I told Vince that I didn’t care what brand it was but it absolutely had to have an electric start. Does yours use only ethanol-free gas? Ours does

Lisa – I never look at the calories burned on machines. Like when I do HIIT. It registers calories burned the same when I’m sprinting as when I’m recovering. And I know that isn’t right. Good going using that elliptical!

So many times when I go to add my food to MFP, I get a message that “we do not support….”. I just go back and try to add the food again and this time it works! I had trouble adding a food from my “meals” list, but it might have been just that one food. That’s happened to me before

Katla – just think of the weight you’ll lose with that prep…lol I know, it’s VERY little and doesn’t last long. Good luck to you.

M – I didn’t realize that Australia had 5 different time zones! I wouldn’t have thought 5

Tina – that sounds great. Vince loves the SDC and I’m sure he’d be more than willing to wear a mask if it had a SDC on it. Thanks so much

Has anybody ever tried any of the other free apps? I know I tried one (can’t think of the name off the top of my head) but it didn’t have as extensive a database as MFP does

Dlfk – in a way I’m almost afraid to go to church. So far, it isn’t mandated. The last I heard they were only letting 10 people in the church and after that the doors would be locked. I suspect by now it’s probably 25 or 50, but I don’t know that for a fact. I just don’t want to go there just to not be able to get in. So since it’s not mandated, I’m staying home right now.

I was surprised how any people in WalMart were not wearing a mask. Well, there is an article in the paper about how this can’t be enforced.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    If I weigh before I start the colonoscopy prep & again when I get home from the procedure I should know whether I lost weight during the prep. My expectations are that I’ll be back at my current weight within hours. This will be my tiny science experiment.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Stove repair guy, called Pacific Vision for appointment next available in Brookings is October 7!, BiMart, Library, line dancing in the park.
    Bonus 2 loads laundry
    Get to do: typing, invest 10 mins cleaning Office, carry over cleaning mins: 20 Bedrooms, 4 Dining Room, 8 Guest Bath, 8 Master Bath; call PC guy about mic/speaker, check Post Office Box, Grocery outlet for H20, Ace Hardware for OsPho and stove paint, make something for picnic, practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, transplant pineapples, bean, melons, cukes; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, Sunday call Diane, Monday call Dr’s billing office again about statement (couldn’t ring through Friday).
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.

Friday, Joe and I spent over an hour and a half watching and helping the stove repair guy (handing him tools, matches, holding flashlight) work on Aunt Elsie’s 1952 Wedgewood stove. It was fascinating watching him lift out parts, twist screws to adjust flow, even taking apart the oven’s pilot light ?valve? to clear the clog. While he was able to get the pilot lights all lit, there were occasional back fires (scarier than it sounds) so he took ALL the burners with him to his shop for ease of cleaning out the orifices. He recommended OSPHOS to remove the rust (after a light sanding of the worst of it) and stove paint to finish it off. I’m so glad the old girl is fixable and in “very good” condition despite the years of neglect, grease, rust and dog hair. Then he went into the kitchen and adjusted the burners on our new propane stove down so we actually have a LOW setting. Before he adjusted them, we could boil water on any of the “low” settings. No more burning things because I can’t get the flame down low enough (nor any more excuses when I do ;>). I am doing my happy dance!

Debbie in Napa Brava for persisting on your bike! “not great for a diabetic” is that you or your DH? I use the USDA numbers whenever available, when not I take the middle of the range. :love: the drive from Napa through the Alexander Valley. Lived in Ukiah for 9 years, learned to drive on the Geyserville road. Much later Mama and Papa moved to Napa. The drive up from the Bay Area was so restful, and especially beautiful in the fall. It’s all so changed/developed now. :cry:
    @Kristengjertsen Brava for pushing through. Breaking up scar tissue is so painful but the results are worth it… eventually :tired_face:
    Vickie in NE wish you could hire more than one new person. 12 hour shifts are brutal.
    Terri thanks for those links, can’t wait to try standing Pilates and Senior Zumba.
    Kim con VERY gratulations on your successful bid. :love: that you are doing high end art. Sure more commissions/contracts will follow.
    Melanie in Vegas :love: Ms Moneypenny. Waves of healing and comfort her way.
    Ginny in OH, just because you are crystal clear does not mean that people won’t simply do as they wish. Used to make me crazy when I worked. Now that I’m retired, I only get that frustration from Joe :smirk: and the boys at the fire hall. IMHO don’t touch the table. At most, wipe it down with a little linseed oil. Since you never particularly cared for it, just sell it as is. Which one is it? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mersman+end+table&iax=images&ia=images
    Lisa so with you about the painting of good wood. Alas it is nothing new. 40 years ago Mama painted both a Scandinavian style chair and a 30s vintage bedside table bright orange. :astonished: Everything that keeps us away from the "well, I've blown it now, so I'll eat everything" mode is good. Thank you, thank You, THANK YOU for this link: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities and Bravissima for the long stretch on the eliptical.
    Lanette thanks for that stunning Ireland photo. What’s the story with your new profile pic?
    Barbie :love: the pic of happy Jake.
    Machka thanks for the exercise calorie tips and especially the beautiful pics. So glad to see your DH out and about and smiling, and :love: you hiding behind your coat.
    Katla safe travels ;)
    Heather “no balance problems, or trouble getting off the floor, or climbing stairs.” You have just given me the mantra I needed. Thank you.
    Tina, ditto, except for some of the foods she eats. :sick:
    Carol :love: your hair.

Been sittin’ way too long, wasting this perfect day.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: better than May.
    daily: steps=6732 vits=25 log=26 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=14 Tumble & Shadow 5=7 mfp=26 clean 10 mins=10 outside=12 up hill=10
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=7 rx=3 dance=6
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=1
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) I rarely have any trouble with MFP either on my computer or Jake's tablet or my phone where I use the website, not the app. I have been using MFP since 2009 and have loved it. I've used Spark People but like this much better.

:)Michele, Our new lawn mower is powered with a lithium ion battery. There is no fuel involved. The battery gets charged between uses. We bought an extra battery just in case.

:)Carol, I think your hair looks great.

:) We drove past the open aire market on our way to and from the library and saw entirely too many people not wearing masks and standing too close to each other.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    3202020 p
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    My only problem with mfp has been entering Quick Add. Everything else is fine. I use the website.

The meal turned up 40 mins late. I gave her polite feedback on that and also told her the actual meal was delicious. I especially liked the garbanzos with cod and DH loved the kleftiko (lamb). We left a few potatoes and sweet potato falafel for lunch tomorrow. Haven't had the dessert yet. I think, on estimate, I will come in with 50 exercise calories to spare. :D
    She is a one woman band with her son as delivery guy.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Teddy had his vet visit. His lumps are just cysts he thinks. So he left it up to me about removing them or aspirating them. Teddy has a dental visit August 19. So we shall see if there are changes.

I exercise with dumbbells and body weight three times a week. I count about a calorie a minute which I think is low. But I have so many cheat snacks these days that it doesn't matter. I don't weigh myself anymore since the gym closed. I need a scale that works on carpet because there is no room in the bathroom. I need to restart the whole program.

Annie in Delaware
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Carol - I love your hair like that it’s so pretty very feminine y light y airy looking. Bet the back wouldn’t need much done.

Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: People here are mixed with mask use. Many of us are wearing masks and the staff at the checkout counter at the grocery stores are also masked. There are citizens who are not wearing masks. Walmart had a mix of customers who were masked and those who weren’t. There were a few unmasked customers at the grocery stores, but not many. Most of those not wearing masks looked like young adults in their 20’s to 30’s. :grumble:

(((Beth))): Sending prayers for your niece. :heart:

KJ: I hope your lawn mower is an easy fix and things go well for you and your family. Rest if you can. :flowerforyou:

I’ve whined about the colonoscopy that is coming up Monday. DH has had to put up with it and he’s being as supportive as he can. I need to woman-up and deal with it, no whining. My riding teacher texted me with the offer of a riding lesson tomorrow. It hurt to turn her down. My husband and doctor would both have hard words with me if I got hurt while riding at this particular time and the procedure wasn’t possible. I’ll have another chance to ride.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    As far as I can tell, MFP has the most extensive database. Some of the entries are duplicates, yes. And some are downright wrong (a food having 0 calories?), but at the end of the day MFP still has the most comprehensive database.

Annie DE – glad to hear about Teddy

Making a spinach feta pie for Colby to take back with him. I know he isn’t big on desserts. Also have some of these mini quiches I made for Jess to take in the car with her, but she isn’t eating them.

Covid spoiler
    I was of the opinion that NY, NJ, and CT are requiring anyone from NC, SC, and I think one other state to self-quarantine for 14 days. I hate this.

I’m so sorry about your niece. I have a friend who twice tested negative for corono but the MD is of the opinion that she had it because of the symptoms
    I am so tempted to say “what the heck” and have a piece of fudge or a lemon bar but when the spinach feta pie comes out of the oven, I’m going to go out for a walk. Hopefully, that will squelch this

Many times I get a "sorry we can't meet your request" from MFP, then I try it again and it works!

Michele NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Barbara - my new photo - the "lady with the hat" is the result of DH and I going thru photos on the internet looking for ways to be creative with the new mandated face coverings. :D . Pretty nifty, eh? I don't think it would be as effective as this one below.... (apologies if I've posted it before...) plus it has the added benefit of people staying more than 6' away = as far away as possible:
    2rjpyewnibi0.jpg

In that vein, someone sent me an article today that Seattle City Council is considering no longer arresting people for prostitution or drug trafficking. Something tells me that article is a bunch of hooey, but in case it's not, this face covering might be appropriate for some ladies:
    z1zmuajefrf3.png

When I was working in Seattle decades ago, I became friends with a gal whose Irish female ancestors actually were prostitutes back when the Pacific Northwest really was the wild wild west. And drug "traffickers" (opium dens in Chinatown) were also quite common.

What's old might be new again. :D

I've started watching a new series on the Acorn channel on Prime - Dead Still. It's about a "death" photographer in Dublin back in the 1800's when it was common to take photos of the deceased. Dead children were often posed with a toy and living members of their family. It's actually quite good and if at all true, gives a glimpse of what life was probably like back then.

I just realized it's been "ode to Ireland" day, lol. B) Tip of the hat to Terri! :p

Beth - That Alzheimers website inspired me to actually do a session of weights today...I felt the burn. I read through more of those articles today as well.

Heather
    - You are such an inspiration with your exercise commitment. Never mind the weight loss/maintenance part, it appears your workouts and running are some of the best things you can do for your brain to keep it young and healthy. That and keeping socially active and engaged with your DH and your families, and your healthy meals. Way to go! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    We so much need a laughing button on this site!!

Kelly ... "logging boogers" ... you really are fried. :D Hope you get some rest soon.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    No traditional workout, working on the house
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Spent the day doing odds and ends. Got several stacks of work papers sorted. Don't have task completed, but did add things to box to take in and shred and have smaller stacks now that need filed. Then worked a bit on a closet and then organized some other things. Instead of completely finishing anything I have several different projects progressing. Still gives me a sense of accomplishment.

DIL still awaiting test results. No update on staff member today.

I think I will strip the table. My husband and his father refinished the table years ago and I think part of what I don't like is the job they did on it. Want to take off layers and see what it looks like. Of course, now that I have no immediate need to use it, I can take my time and not rush. I don't have much in the way of good wood furniture. I have painted some old pine dressers (we bought them at Walmart years ago, so nothing priceless there!)

I don't put any exercise calories in MFP. I let whatever comes through my fitbit add in and will eat most of those. That is just from steps. On days at gym I don't add anything. Figure since I am doing that and staying within calories most days and maintaining weight it is working well. I have ranged from 1375 to 139.5 during COVID and I had set my agreed range with doctor 135-140. Most days I'm right around 138. If it's working I'm not going to mess with it. Do want to increase my activity level. Have gotten lazy on walking last couple of weeks.

Off to get some sleep.

Stay safe all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Went to WalMart and got the pool salt. Evidently, the WM by us coded it wrong. They entered water softener salt. So I had to go to another WalMart. Didn’t bother with the farmer’s market, but stopped at the Salvation Army. As expected, they didn’t have anything. Now home and making chocolate bran muffins. I did find some low sodium bacon at WM so I think I’ll make that. Update: baked it.

Barbie – when our mower finally bit the dust (with help from me…but…shhhh), I told Vince that I didn’t care what brand it was but it absolutely had to have an electric start. Does yours use only ethanol-free gas? Ours does

Lisa – I never look at the calories burned on machines. Like when I do HIIT. It registers calories burned the same when I’m sprinting as when I’m recovering. And I know that isn’t right. Good going using that elliptical!

So many times when I go to add my food to MFP, I get a message that “we do not support….”. I just go back and try to add the food again and this time it works! I had trouble adding a food from my “meals” list, but it might have been just that one food. That’s happened to me before

Katla – just think of the weight you’ll lose with that prep…lol I know, it’s VERY little and doesn’t last long. Good luck to you.

M – I didn’t realize that Australia had 5 different time zones! I wouldn’t have thought 5

Tina – that sounds great. Vince loves the SDC and I’m sure he’d be more than willing to wear a mask if it had a SDC on it. Thanks so much

Has anybody ever tried any of the other free apps? I know I tried one (can’t think of the name off the top of my head) but it didn’t have as extensive a database as MFP does

Dlfk – in a way I’m almost afraid to go to church. So far, it isn’t mandated. The last I heard they were only letting 10 people in the church and after that the doors would be locked. I suspect by now it’s probably 25 or 50, but I don’t know that for a fact. I just don’t want to go there just to not be able to get in. So since it’s not mandated, I’m staying home right now.

I was surprised how any people in WalMart were not wearing a mask. Well, there is an article in the paper about how this can’t be enforced.

Michele NC

Michele-
    Tomorrow will be our third week back at church. Things are a little different. Only every other pew is used, no hymnals used, offering plate is not passed- you drop it off as you leave. Our church is a pretty big building with very high ceilings. I wear my mask when I walk in and walk out but take it off while sitting down. We did online church for so long, it is nice to get out for an hour.