60 yrs and up

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Best of luck! Slow and steady wins the race!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Hi all,

Not really new to MFP, just back again. I'll be 62 in August and, up until recently, ate a mostly carb-heavy diet. Vegetables were a rarity in my meals. Then, in April, I was diagnosed with uncontrolled Type II Diabetes and high cholesterol. Doc put me on meds and sent me off to see a nutritionist at a local organization that runs a fairly strict low-carb diet plan. I haven't been as faithful to it as I should this past week, but I've been surprised, somewhat pleasantly, that the more veggie-heavy meals I've eaten haven't been horrible.
    kb0wzg wrote: »
    Just getting back into this. Been a rough few years but here goes. 65 just diagnosed with diabetes have to talk with my Dr next week to go over my health plan. I know I need to get moving again, four years ago I road a recumbent trike 4,000 miles in 6 month, I may not get back to that but I need to get motivated to ride.

I totally empathize. Back around 2013-2014, I decided I was going to run. I was also going to the gym regularly. I wasn't fast, but I was consistent with 39-42 minutes 5ks. Lost a bunch of weight. Fell off the exercise wagon, put all the weight back on over a few years and am now trying to get back to where I was. I know how hard it can be to get back into good habits. It's far easier to fall back into older, bad ones.

That being said, you can do this. You may not get to 4000 miles in 6 months anytime soon, but you just keep moving towards improvement and you'll get there. :)

Best of luck to you.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Slow and steady wins the race. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
  • Mw000
    Mw000 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi I'm marie 65 I'm totally new to this way of trying to lose weight I've been to groups in the past only to do well and then put the weight back on I've got 30lbs to lose I know motivation important so here goes to the next few weeks I'm going to focus on losing half a stone at a time to make it feel achievable good luck everyone :)
  • barbiecat
    :) The weather was uninviting yesterday. I walked the dogs for their usual walks, but my step count was low so I walked back and forth in the house for 30 minutes before I went to bed. That way I could be home with my husband and listen to the music he chose and still get the exercise I wanted without having to be in damp and windy and weather.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) The weather was uninviting yesterday. I walked the dogs for their usual walks, but my step count was low so I walked back and forth in the house for 30 minutes before I went to bed. That way I could be home with my husband and listen to the music he chose and still get the exercise I wanted without having to be in damp and windy and weather.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I walk back and forth in the house sometimes to get extra steps, but I've never done it for 30 minutes at a time. Good for you!
  • AgnesFerniot
    AgnesFerniot Posts: 62 Member
    down 2.5 #. :D
  • barbiecat
    down 2.5 #. :D

:) Congratulations
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning everyone! How is everyone doing ? I am good went camping last week. Had fun grandkids came to our cabin for hot chocolate in the mornings. It was fun. Now to get back on track. Our weather was weird yesterday too rain wind and sunshine. Did get some yard work done. My tomatoes are doing really well I already have tomatoes growing! Things seem to be producing early this year. There is sunshine calling me outside so I will be playing in my yard.☀️Have a good day everyone 🤓🦋💖🌹🌷
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hello all. It's great seeing the participation on this thread. Haven't posted in a bit, sorry. I've continued tracking and daily walking. Week before last I had a big loss and was surprised, caught up with me today on the scale. I expect a very slow loss at this point but was feeling a little bored with my food. Since our area is opening up with less restrictions I decided I can venture out for on-line curbside grocery pick-up as well as the local farmers market. Now I have more variety in my grocery cart than Fresh home delivery offered and walking around the farmers market (masks, distanced, one-way and no contact) should help stave off the hungries as well as give me a safe weekly outing. Still harvesting lettuce and herbs a plenty, even picked up a lovely potted plant on my first adventure out.
    Friend hugs,
    Stay with it, we got this. Om...
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm Luann and looking forward to joining the group. I am just getting started. I'm 64 and have a lot of weight to lose. Would love to hear what is working for everyone. I would expecially like advice on exercise. I have arthritis and walk with cane-not able to walk far. Any suggestions?
  • barbiecat
    Hi everyone! I'm Luann and looking forward to joining the group. I am just getting started. I'm 64 and have a lot of weight to lose. Would love to hear what is working for everyone. I would especially like advice on exercise. I have arthritis and walk with cane-not able to walk far. Any suggestions?

:) One of the secrets of adulthood is that you can find answers to lots of questions using Google or another search engine. If you type in "exercise for arthritis" you'll find ideas. You might also find ideas putting the same words in the search box on YouTube. I like to walk and I walk my dogs for about two hours every day. I have a recumbent exercise bike in my living room that I can ride while watching TV or listening to podcasts or audio books on my phone. Before shelter in place I went line dance classes and a senior exercise class. Now I try to do some of those things at home by myself. I log my food every day and continue to look for ways get more nutrition for fewer calories (hint: leave out the white bread, salad dressing, gravy, dessert). I seek every opportunity to be active even if it's just get out of the chair for a few minutes. And come back and check in on this thread every day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm Luann and looking forward to joining the group. I am just getting started. I'm 64 and have a lot of weight to lose. Would love to hear what is working for everyone. I would expecially like advice on exercise. I have arthritis and walk with cane-not able to walk far. Any suggestions?

You could try swimming, or if you have google playstore look up workouts for sitting cardio there are some for strength , also lots for workouts for disabled ( I know your not but lots in that category I have used due to my hip and knee problems)those show lots of sitting workouts. Also try yoga that has helped me and pilates.
    Good luck
  • deafenbaugh
    deafenbaugh Posts: 39 Member
    Thanks for the ideas
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning everyone! How ya all doin? Just got back from a walk. Felt good!!🤓 just wanted to check in . I need to get down to business with weight loss. I am up 3 lbs. yikes and blood sugar up also. I do good all day and at night I blow it!! I just want to munch on anything and everything! The madness must stop!! My mantra today is : today is a new day and I will do better. Have a great day everyone!! Do your best🌷💖🦋🌹🤓
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Lost a pound just need to get a walk in now and a strength exercise.
  • Mw000
    Mw000 Posts: 4 Member
    That's great news you must be feeling proud
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians here! 🍁 (Didn't have a Canadian flag emoji, so that maple leaf will have to do.) 😁

Rolled over the calendar to July this morning and read this quote -- "The best is yet to be." - Robert Browning

Here's hoping that is true for the second half of 2020!