What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I don't like soup... only a couple types I like. But I don't understand soup people haha

I'm not a soup person either.

Me either! My mom makes soup every week for lunches and I just don’t get the appeal. I mean soup is okay, but there are thousands of things I’d rather have before I’d pick soup.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    From watching other people's behavior, and talking to them, I think this might be an unpopular opinion, or at least an uncommon applied one:

It's fun to buy, cook & eat foods I've never had before, that I need to research to figure out how to cook and eat.

I completely agree, especially if it is a vegetable, plant based or fruit, from another country or exotic herbs, spices and combinations. The first time I went to an international market I thought I was in paradise! lol

What's been on the menu lately?
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Soup is one of my favorite things.

I like soup now more than I used to: it started when I had to take over the kitchen for my parents after they got sick. With some hubris and ambition, I decided to make chicken soup from scratch. First time around, it was a whole-day affair, but it was kind of exciting. Each time, things got a little better; it taught me a lot, including about the integrity and skill involved in making a good soup.

This time of the year, I enjoy tossing vegetables in my Vitamix and mixing up a week's worth of gazpacho. Similar is a salmorejo, and I think I'd like to try that this year too (https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/salmorejo), probably minus the jamon serrano. Winter time is for onion soup, which I have yet to really master, but it's a lot of fun trying!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

Me too...have it everyday...even in summer lol!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    From watching other people's behavior, and talking to them, I think this might be an unpopular opinion, or at least an uncommon applied one:

It's fun to buy, cook & eat foods I've never had before, that I need to research to figure out how to cook and eat.

I completely agree, especially if it is a vegetable, plant based or fruit, from another country or exotic herbs, spices and combinations. The first time I went to an international market I thought I was in paradise! lol

What's been on the menu lately?

lots of green smoothies, sunflower protein, leafy greens, vegan fish and tofu
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    What is everyone's opinion on best pizza chain??

Idaho Pizza Company.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Oooh, I just thought of one that'll be very unpopular.

Peanut butter is one of those things that you either grow up with or you don't. I know maybe two people who grew to like it as adults, and I'm not one of them.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Oooh, I just thought of one that'll be very unpopular.

Peanut butter is one of those things that you either grow up with or you don't. I know maybe two people who grew to like it as adults, and I'm not one of them.

I've grown to love homemade peanut butter over stuff like jif, although I still have a soft spot for the jarred stuff because, like you said, I grew up with it.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I don't like strawberries.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    The only peanut butter I like is the super-smooth, ultra-processed, mass-produced brands.

I cannot STAND the all-natural, gritty, must-refrigerate, need-to-stir types. The texture ruins it for me.
  • FairlyLisa
    FairlyLisa Posts: 18 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Doughnuts are hugely overrated unless it's a chocolate with red chille and bacon from Rebel.

Donuts are not the best. Really.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    The only peanut butter I like is the super-smooth, ultra-processed, mass-produced brands.

I cannot STAND the all-natural, gritty, must-refrigerate, need-to-stir types. The texture ruins it for me.

Exactly!

Although, I'll take sunflower seed butter over them all (except cookie butter).
  • pancakerunner

STRONGLY DISGAREE
  • PAPYRUS3

STRONGLY DISGAREE

I agree with you! However, it's been so long since I've actually had pb (outside of pb2), all would taste good to me lol!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Exactly!

I'm the opposite, I love the gritty texture of must-be-mixed peanut butter. I grew up with crunchy peanut butter jif, though, so that might be partly why. Smooth just sticks to the roof of my mouth.
  • pancakerunner
    l3flcpghdbop.png

this is my current favorite nut butter.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Exactly!

sunflower is my favorite!
  • PAPYRUS3
    edited July 2020
    This sounds absolutely yummmmm...except the price avail. in my country.....$17-20🙄
    l3flcpghdbop.png

this is my current favorite nut butter.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »

I like soup now more than I used to: it started when I had to take over the kitchen for my parents after they got sick. With some hubris and ambition, I decided to make chicken soup from scratch. First time around, it was a whole-day affair, but it was kind of exciting. Each time, things got a little better; it taught me a lot, including about the integrity and skill involved in making a good soup.

This time of the year, I enjoy tossing vegetables in my Vitamix and mixing up a week's worth of gazpacho. Similar is a salmorejo, and I think I'd like to try that this year too (https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/salmorejo), probably minus the jamon serrano. Winter time is for onion soup, which I have yet to really master, but it's a lot of fun trying!

I love gazpacho and haven't had it yet this year. I will fix that this week, thanks for the reminder!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Agreed. When I first started getting my produce box from a farm, in the spring and fall I'd get things I hadn't worked with much, if at all, or just need more variety because it was mostly all greens or mostly all root veg and winter squash, and so I'd look for ideas and new ways to use them. Greene on Greens was one of my go-tos for that.

This was much simpler when I could walk up to anyone at an ethnic shop and ask that person how they would use new to me ingredient. Always willing to help. Now thats out the window for a while.

True, although I've always preferred looking things up to be honest.