Is a rough childhood an acceptable excuse?

Options
12346»

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Girl u sure do like stirring up these touchy issues huh?

Finally someone said it!! I keep reading her posts & they are for the most part all like this. A controversial question thrown into the wind, but she never says how she feels about it. I am not attacking you, OP, it just looks a little weird. Are you doing a servey on all of this or what?

Not true. I see her make her point in her original posts often. I've also seen her reply within the thread itself many times. We're in the "chit chat" section, so what's wrong with a good ol' controversial question? She's not the only OP who does that. I find these discussions interesting, myself.

I didn't say there was a problem with it. I asked if she was doing a survey or something. I stand by my statement that it looks a little weird if you go through her post and most of them are random questions like this. Like the poll of the day question. Even if this is what it is, still not a problem, just curious as to what is she doing all of this for. These aren't just random everyday questions.

For idle "chit chat" about things she hears about at work or wonders about?
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Finally someone said it!! I keep reading her posts & they are for the most part all like this. A controversial question thrown into the wind, but she never says how she feels about it. I am not attacking you, OP, it just looks a little weird. Are you doing a servey on all of this or what?

Funny you should mention this, I always say if someone asks what my opinion is, I’ll tell them…thanks for asking!

I post these things simply because I'm curious to know what people think. The posts are always personal for me, and this one in particular...the person with the "excuse" is my son. He's 22, and according to him, his life is in a shambles. He moved out of my house as soon as he graduated high school because he didn’t want to abide by my rule (if you live here you go to college, or trade school or something to further educate yourself) and moved with his dad. His dad can barely hold a job, he thinks if there is a way around actually working for something, then you should take that route. My husband and I are the opposite; nothing worth having is going to be easy. My son thought it would be all gravy when he moved out, but here we are 4 years later and he is really struggling. He said if I had “stepped up to the plate” when he was younger and took care of him the right way, then he wouldn’t be having all of these problems. I did the best that I could with him, but his dad was always in his ear and in the end, that’s the route he chose. I do not feel like it’s my fault, and I say that because I too had a horrible childhood, but I survived. From the ages of 5 through 12 I was abused, verbally, sexually and physically by my stepdad. He told me on a regular basis that I was nothing and I would never be anything. I vowed to never be the parent that he was…I don’t use how I was brought up as a crutch. By all rights I should be crazy, I have plenty of cause, but the God I serve does not allow that. Yes it sucked, but it was all a part of the plan for my life. I deal with it and move on, it’s nobody’s fault.
  • boomboom011
    Options

Funny you should mention this, I always say if someone asks what my opinion is, I’ll tell them…thanks for asking!

I post these things simply because I'm curious to know what people think. The posts are always personal for me, and this one in particular...the person with the "excuse" is my son. He's 22, and according to him, his life is in a shambles. He moved out of my house as soon as he graduated high school because he didn’t want to abide by my rule (if you live here you go to college, or trade school or something to further educate yourself) and moved with his dad. His dad can barely hold a job, he thinks if there is a way around actually working for something, then you should take that route. My husband and I are the opposite; nothing worth having is going to be easy. My son thought it would be all gravy when he moved out, but here we are 4 years later and he is really struggling. He said if I had “stepped up to the plate” when he was younger and took care of him the right way, then he wouldn’t be having all of these problems. I did the best that I could with him, but his dad was always in his ear and in the end, that’s the route he chose. I do not feel like it’s my fault, and I say that because I too had a horrible childhood, but I survived. From the ages of 5 through 12 I was abused, verbally, sexually and physically by my stepdad. He told me on a regular basis that I was nothing and I would never be anything. I vowed to never be the parent that he was…I don’t use how I was brought up as a crutch. By all rights I should be crazy, I have plenty of cause, but the God I serve does not allow that. Yes it sucked, but it was all a part of the plan for my life. I deal with it and move on, it’s nobody’s fault.

Thanks for sharing. I am glad to be a sister in Christ with you.
  • Faith1203
    Faith1203 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thanks for putting my curiosity at bay! I really thought you were doing a paper or something. You did not owe me an explanation or a backstory, but thanks for what you wrote. Good luck with your son & God Bless.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I also had a horrendously abusive childhood. I wasted years blaming it for everything that was wrong with my life, not because I was looking for an excuse, but because I genuinely BELIEVED that. I spent years suffering from major depression and my thinking was severely distorted. And I couldn't see that, that's what depression, PTSD, and years of severe abuse does to you.

I did eventually make the decision to get help, not because I thought I had a problem but because some people who cared about me thought I had a problem, and in time I was able to see my issues and get to work on them. But it was far easier to make that decision than to actually carry it out in years of therapy and medication, with numerous setbacks on the way. I got stuck a lot, and I stumbled and fell a lot, and sometimes I couldn't pick myself up and other people did it for me. What if I hadn't had friends willing to do that for me? What if I'd never found the extraordinarily gifted therapist I finally did? What if no one had ever cared enough to be honest with me in the first place? I'd still be floundering around, 20 years later, struggling with depression and PTSD and unable to see things as they really are.

I guess my point is, none of us know where somebody else is in their journey. Maybe a person isn't trying to use a bad childhood as an excuse, but rather doesn't understand that they can overcome it, with the right tools.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    To me there is a difference between excuse and explanation... childhood can very well explain "why" we do some of the things we do however an excuse is staying there if it's a dysfunction. In a world that has taken dysfunction and made it functional we have started living with abnormal and it has become normal. Tantrums and rage fits are now considered normal while someone who can intelligently express themselves without taken offense to a situation is considered abnormal. We are products of our environment however rather positive or negative once we become of age and knowledge that some of the things we do are not healthy and a dysfunction it is up to us to change them better ourselves and not pass on the negative traits to your children or our loved ones that are in our atmosphere. People tend to get comfortable in dysfunction when it is all they knew (it's human nature) but choosing to stay there or move up is totally up to the person ... As a product of my environment I was molested, lived around drunken pedophile, joined a gang, did jail time, was a male prostitute, attempted suicide and the list goes on .. however looking at me today you wouldn't know any of it because I chose Christ and old things are past away and behold all things become new... I made the conscious decision to better myself not only for my children, but for society, for my family, and most importantly for me... so i would say rough childhood is an explanation but not an excuse... be blessed and grace and peace to you all ...
  • macpatti
    Options

Thanks for sharing. I am glad to be a sister in Christ with you.

I'm glad to be both of yours sister in Christ! Love y'all!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a coincidence, but it seems to be that most people who do not accept poor upbringing as an excuse are NOT the ones currently struggling with it.

For the OP, she knows more about the situation than anyone else, and I really can't comment because I simply do not know what's actually in her son's head. I also don't know the differences between his percieved childhood and what actually happened, which can make all the difference when it comes to how he developed the attitude he did in the first place.

All you can really do, at the end of the day, is ask yourself 'Did I do the best I could in this situation?' and 'Am I doing the best I can?'

Do this, and no one can ask more of you :)
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Hell no, I was abused mentally, physically, and sexually. I choose to have a better life.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I prefer your "controversial" topics to the frivolity. It's nice to break it up a little. :smile:
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You are a child for 16 years & an adult for the rest of your life,. Take some control & be responsible for the decisions you make as that adult. Sure, how you were raised & by whom will play a part in your life & bad experiences will shape you too but eventually you have to take control.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I prefer your "controversial" topics to the frivolity. It's nice to break it up a little. :smile:

Me, too!
  • boomboom011
    Options

Me, too!
    :drinker:
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No, I don't believe it's an acceptable excuse. My brother tries to use the "we had a crappy childhood" excuse when it comes to him being an alcoholic/drug addict/crappy father. I suffered the same childhood as him & I turned out fine. People need to learn to accept the responsibility of their own actions, and stop placing blame where it shouldn't be.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A traumatic childhood will always have its scars that creep up on us when we're feeling less than strong, but we should never let them hold us back. Instead try using it as platform to reach above and beyond.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have had less than desirable experiences in their childhood, some were downright horrible. I’ve heard many of them blame their lack of success (no high school diploma or GED for example) on the way they were brought up. Verbal and/or physical abuse, parents on drugs, abandonment…whatever the case. Do you feel that as an adult, that’s an acceptable excuse?

It could be a reason for events that caused the outcome of such things as not graduating and other such results. However, as I have told my nieces and nephew (they had it pretty rough) if you are smart enough to sit there and tell me what the problem is, then you are smart enough to makes changes to correct the situation. One of them has (very successful at age 33) and one is still trying (climbing up the hill inch by inch but she is climbing at age 39) and the other never will (at age 28 she still thinks her past entitles her to handouts she likes her pity card).