WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    KJ: 1 Personal Review: DH has diabetes & MS. CBD oil helps ease the pain of those conditions. It doesn't cure underlying problems but it makes life a little better for him. <3o:)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,199 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with cleaning the house today! Why do I hate it so? The realtor co comes in Tuesday for an inspection. I will get motivated I promise!😁
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Welcome new ladies
    Pip- IF someone were to ask me to name someone who looks smart, classy, mischievous, energetic, vibrant with short hair- YOU are the person I that would come to mind first! You look beautiful with longer hair as well, but my vote would have to be for short hair.
    Margaret- Drew just sounds like a wonderful addition to your family! So glad everything is working out!
    Cheri and KarenVA-I am following your discussion on CBD oils. Now that I am going group, I am hoping to be able to buy something for Tim to try. I went to the website to read some reviews and am a little peeved that none of the reviewers state what their health problem is. Karen, do you know where I might find some reviews on the product from people with advanced RA or other chronic pain/auto immune diseases?
    Machka- I am so happy to hear that you are getting certain "smells". lol Sorry that some of them seem so intense. Hopefully that will calm as your nose gets used to being able to smell things again. I remember when my daughter had surgeries on her ears, (she had a 60% hearing loss as a kid); when her hearing was restored, everything scared her. Even the "quiet" sound of running water or fans seemed loud to her.

Today is my first day of vacation and I woke up this morning extremely dizzy. Lying in bed, opened my eyes and the room was spinning. I closed my eyes and it stopped. So I sat up and almost fell over and promptly felt nauseous. Stood, held the walls and made my way to the bathroom and was sick. I was dripping with sweat. The dizziness lasted another couple of hours (as did the throwing up). Tim was pacing around me, like a nervous cat, wanting to do something. I had him put a pillow and blanket on the couch, bin beside me (just in case) and I went back to sleep for another six hours. I just woke up about an hour ago, a little lightheaded and slightly dizzy, but nothing like before. So far I have had some crackers and a bit of coffee. Hopefully that is the end of this "bug". Not the way I planned to spend my day, but sometimes it takes "forced action" to make me do nothing.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day! love and hugs to you all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

That's vertigo sounds like! Spinning sensations. Does your neck feel sore? Your ears trying to fix the equilibrium! I hope you feel better!
    💖Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    KJ – that sounds almost like what I had a few weeks ago. I got really dizzy and then nauseous. Only I didn’t throw up. But I went to sleep and then felt a lot better. Still a little dizzy, but it went totally away in a day or two

Lynette has been talking about how much in pain Ken is. Well, they did reduce the amount of pain pills he can take. Plus, he doesn't have a job to sort-of take his mind off it. So I asked her here to go swimming figuring that would get Ken out of the house. I totally forgot that Wed. was tax day. I'd asked her if she'd like to come after dinner. Since they couldn't come Wed. she just now emailed me that they could come tomorrow around 5. So I had to ask her if they were planning to have an early dinner or I could make a beef stroganoff, I just need to know so that I can buy the ingredients. I was planning to make some meringues for me (try a different recipe), so I guess we can have them. I want to make lemon ones, I have to ask Vince if he'll eat lemon. Otherwise, I may have to make another batch, but this time chocolate. Or we can have the chocolate rice krispie bars I made today. Yup, that sounds like a better plan.

Michele NC
    who is off to add another strip to the blanket she's making
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri There are lots of reputable mail order places for CBD; Bluebird Botanical is the one I use. The price is comparable to others, they have very good customer service, and they publish their independent third party lab analyses for each lot. I recommend that you start low and increase by one drop a day until you are better. Then that's your dose going forward. If you start with a less concentrated formula, you can graduate to a more concentrated formula once you've titrated your dose. You may want to figure out a better dropper than the ones they provide, though. It's easy to waste product.

Thanks for the info. I will take a look!

Cheri - I found the Anastrozol much better than Tamoxifen for hot flushes etc. Really wasn't too bad at all. The only thing I noticed with both was a dry vagina, so that I would invariably get cystitis a few days after sex. I told the consultant and she prescribed oestrogen suppositories. Apparently they don't raise the oestrogen level in general, just locally. They did the trick anyway and I was able to stop eventually.
    Good luck! <3
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

In comparison to many of the women on the cancer boards I'm in good shape side effects wise. It's mostly the joint pain and stiffness. The hot flashes and night sweats are manageable. I have fans strategically placed around the house (in addition to ceiling fans) that I switch on and a off as needed. Sex...there isn't any. A topic for another time.

Cheri
    still sheltering-in-place in exceedingly hot Texas

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    Well i bought my daughter and son in law a grill and then couldnt get it in my car.. so they willgo pick it up tomorrow..
    I got the kitchen pretty much picked up and Trudy and I had pizza.. and now im in bed..took a nap earlier, but still tired..
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Sara – I hear ya about wanting to eat at night. I’m the exact same way. How about some applesauce frozen? Or maybe a box of raisins? Popcorn is pretty filling. One thing I have that is pretty filling and makes me want to drink (as the popcorn does) is a turkey breast burger.

Michele NC

Thank you. Love popcorn - sweet popcorn! So thats a no.

Tonight I had an omlette, seemed about the best I could do

Wasps are excellent for getting rid of unwanted insects, especially caterpillers on cabbages. :)
    Terri

Relaxing with an old John Nettles Midsomer Murders tonight. :D
    I'm recording Three Billboards for future viewing. Frances McDormand is my very favourite actor.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

My daughter was an extra in a couple of Midsomer Murders during her modelling & acting phase :) It was filmed very close to where we lived.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    [
    Wasps are excellent for getting rid of unwanted insects, especially caterpillers on cabbages. :)

Only problem is...I don't have cabbages...lol

Two years ago I was attacked by some and got stung. I never again want that to happen...it hurt so much. To me, the only good wasp is a dead wasp.

Michele NC
    who wishes she knew of a drink that smelled super super sweet
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    [

Only problem is...I don't have cabbages...lol

Two years ago I was attacked by some and got stung. I never again want that to happen...it hurt so much. To me, the only good wasp is a dead wasp.

Michele NC
    who wishes she knew of a drink that smelled super super sweet

Michele - I'm not exactly sure what type of trap you are trying to bait. I know we have "bald faced hornets" around here - they make big round paper nests in trees, and they absolutely love to after the ripe grapes on our grape vine. They are meaner than snot so I pick grapes early in the morning before the little buggers wake up.

So maybe something like white grape juice? Grape jelly?

Also, I've heard some hornets (Yellow jackets in my area) go after meat - some folks bait traps with raw hamburger.

We leave them in peace unless they build their nests under the deck (where they can fly up and sting the pups) or in the porch light beside the back door. Then it's Raid time.

The wonderful world of stinging insects! B)

Lanette
    Sunny & Warm SW WA State
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It has been a lovely day here. We picked blueberries this evening and cut the net off of two blueberry bushes. My beans still have the net on them that I put there to protect bean leaves from deer. We haven’t seen deer lately & I will probably take the net off soon.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Machka! 1. Canadder lol! 2. West Indies 3. Eyes-Land! 4. Russia 5. Mozambique 6. Bahama 7. Taiwan 8. New Zealand 9. Holland 10. Colombia 11. Brazil 12. Cuba 13. Wales 14. Portugal 15. Romania 16. Japan 17. Lichtenstein 18. Bali 19. Iraq 20. Haiti 21. Belgium 22. Singapore 23. Bahrain 24. India 25. Hungary 26. North Korea 27. Camp-pooch-cheer (Cambodia) 28. Sweden 29. Italy 30. Hong Kong 31. Botswana 32. Grenada
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka! 1. Canadder lol! 2. West Indies 3. Eyes-Land! 4. Russia 5. Mozambique 6. Bahama 7. Taiwan 8. New Zealand 9. Holland 10. Colombia 11. Brazil 12. Cuba 13. Wales 14. Portugal 15. Romania 16. Japan 17. Lichtenstein 18. Bali 19. Iraq 20. Haiti 21. Belgium 22. Singapore 23. Bahrain 24. India 25. Hungary 26. North Korea 27. Camp-pooch-cheer (Cambodia) 28. Sweden 29. Italy 30. Hong Kong 31. Botswana 32. Grenada

Well done! I got most, but actually missed Canada because I was thinking Tin Snake Add. :lol:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Another question which came up on FB ...

What is, or might have been, your dream career?
    If training education and conditions weren't an issue, what would you do or would you have done for a living?

For me, being independently wealthy would be my first choice. :) But then I had to think for a while. At one time I wanted to be a teacher with a backup job as architectural draftsperson. I have the qualifications for those things but they no longer interest me ... especially the teaching.

Right now, I'm sort of torn between three...

1) Working in Records Management which I'm well qualified for
    2) Technical Writing
    3) Doing travel writing/photography

Meanwhile ...

I'm trying to think of ways to make returning to the office in my current job more tolerable. I have to go back on July 28 unless we get a sudden, unexpected surge of people with C19. Given that we've had none for something like 65 days, that's not likely going to happen.

So ...

1) I need to look at my commute and workday in general and see if I can make it shorter. I really don't want to leave home at 8:30 and not return until 6 pm anymore if I can help it. 9.5 hours away from home each day is too long.

2) I'd love to go to a 4-day week. I would even be willing to put in an extra hour or so a day in the 4 days I work to get a 4-day week. Because of my university I don't have too much flexibility with this, but because of my university I will be at home in the mornings on Thursdays "attending" an online class. That might help a bit.

3) I'd like to get more exercise. That's been one of the best things about the shut down and working from home. I've been able to go out for walks, runs, and bicycle rides whenever I wanted. And I haven't gained a gram during the whole shutdown.

4) I have really enjoyed listening to ABC Classic FM on the radio each day while I've been working from home and I have figured out how to get it on my phone. So that's good.

Machka in Oz
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Machka, I really enjoy the recovery from surgery item your mother sent you! And Amazon delivery frequently insists they have entered the Vendor’s code at the gate. When I try to talk them through it - “Yes, that’s what I did!” before the first few words have left my mouth. When I finally get them to listen and they enter it slower, more carefully - Hey! Prestó! It works!

Btw, I hope you came up with a dinner choice that worked for you. Would a smoothie be easy on your tender places?

Karen, it was indeed a fitting finale to 2020’s tax season for me. What amuses me is, I’ve already set a few dozen appointments for the 2021 season. I can’t figure out whether that qualifies me for masochism or not!

Oh Rita! If ever anyone comes along to use that for, I’ll keep it in mind. Those flower photos are spectacular! My friends say that when the desert blooms it’s gorgeous. I gather this is not the same as the spring bloom after some rain?

DellaFayeFox, thats a great shot of the Peter Iredale as it was when I recall it. Last time I was there there was not as much of it left.

Amber, good luck keeping up with your boy’s growth spurts! They sound more like eruptions!

Sara628588! If “shreddies” means shredded wheat, that’s a good source of fiber and will keep you full quite well. Bran flakes or even Raisin Bran is another goodie. Yogurt works well for me because of the protein, or egg salad or tuna salad made with sugar free mayo. I use some finely minced baby dill pickle and much less relish than I used to. It’s tart and sweet and satisfying that way to me!

Hi, Deborah! Hi, Debbie, also! Havent seen you before. I’m Sharon, near Seattle, but used to live in LA, Bay and Salinas down there! Glad to see you joining us, Deborah! We’ll have to use Deborah and Debbie, I guess. I’m 20 years older than you two, but Debby was one of the most popular names in my graduating class of 1961.

Terri, thanks for checking in. We’ve missed hearing from you and a number of others now that things are getting busier.

Michelle in NC, Some wasps aren’t attracted to sweet things. They’re attracted to protein. Try hanging one up with some pepperoni or sausage. Something greasy. Raw Hamburger or bacon grease might work.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • Machka9
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka, I really enjoy the recovery from surgery item your mother sent you! And Amazon delivery frequently insists they have entered the Vendor’s code at the gate. When I try to talk them through it - “Yes, that’s what I did!” before the first few words have left my mouth. When I finally get them to listen and they enter it slower, more carefully - Hey! Prestó! It works!

Btw, I hope you came up with a dinner choice that worked for you. Would a smoothie be easy on your tender places?

Sharon Near Seattle

My dinner choice was actually Palak Paneer one of my favourites and easy to eat. :)

M in Oz