Calorie Counter

Message Boards Success Stories
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the moment? When did you decide to take back control?

Replies

• AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 16,446 Member Member, Premium Posts: 16,446 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    And I ask you all.... based on the comments I've seen and my own experience... how much of aging is actually just the effect of not taking care of our bodies, including weight gain? I have told you all about my first aha moment, but another aha moment came when I realized I needed to continue this journey. At that moment I realized "I feel ten years younger! What I thought was just age related slowdown, was only due to my excess weight! I can keep on de-aging myself, and feel even better! LET'S DO IT!"

I'm gonna take that as not a rhetorical question, and answer it.

IMO, it's most useful to think that nothing inherently comes from aging alone, i.e. that it's entirely about choices.

I'm pretty sure that's not 100% true (mitochondria, telomere shortening, blah, blah blah).

For sure, I have 70- and 80-something year old friends who are active, healthy, athletic, vital, and at a reasonable body weight. I'm absolutely sure their life choices have been a crucial factor in their happy, healthy aging. I also have friends in their 30s (and a few even younger) and beyond with serious health conditions and dysfunctions related to overweight, inactivity, undernutrition, excess intoxicants, smoking - also mostly life choices.

A few people will be unlucky (experience serious health compromises despite good choices). Making bad choices because bad luck could happen is not the way a smart gambler would play the hand, if you ask me.

If it matters, I'm 64.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728170/thoughts-on-getting-old-vs-aging
  • Sand_TIgerSand_TIger Member Posts: 318 Member Member Posts: 318 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm gonna take that as not a rhetorical question, and answer it.

IMO, it's most useful to think that nothing inherently comes from aging alone, i.e. that it's entirely about choices.

I'm pretty sure that's not 100% true (mitochondria, telomere shortening, blah, blah blah).

For sure, I have 70- and 80-something year old friends who are active, healthy, athletic, vital, and at a reasonable body weight. I'm absolutely sure their life choices have been a crucial factor in their happy, healthy aging. I also have friends in their 30s (and a few even younger) and beyond with serious health conditions and dysfunctions related to overweight, inactivity, undernutrition, excess intoxicants, smoking - also mostly life choices.

A few people will be unlucky (experience serious health compromises despite good choices). Making bad choices because bad luck could happen is not the way a smart gambler would play the hand, if you ask me.

If it matters, I'm 64.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728170/thoughts-on-getting-old-vs-aging

Totally not rhetorical - not anymore anyway. I know there are things that just kind of - wear out in the body, but I have a sixtyish friend who is fitter and has more drive than most people half his age. This after stage IV cancer. His attitude and his lifestyle led to his survival and he has a zest for life that's second to none. When I compare how I am now with how I was a year ago... there's no comparison! So thanks for answering.
  • TheArttoBETheArttoBE Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member
    Turning point... was my divorce!

I realized that throughout my marriage, I was eating 'like' my husband...and gained 50 lbs. When you are married, your husband might say they love you, and overlook what's happening to your body.

That seems to be an excuse for a lot of women. But I felt like Crap...and then, the weight came on so slow over a matter of two years...that I had to do a Serious Check list on myself. I went up to a 2X. I WAS 230 LBS!!! 5"6
    I am way to pretty to carry around all that weight...and felt ugly.

Also...
    One... eating processed foods. Two...to much sugar. Three...Not enough Vegetables. While I am not a big meat eater, I was eating more meat due to my Husband's choices.

Well...within 6 months after we split up...I dropped 25 lbs. I was also caretaking my Mom, and my life was in turmoil. But I worked hard to keep my focus on Health and Clean Foods. I also started researching things about Food, Animal Farming, "Forks over Knives" documentary & learned about many other Food doctors like Esselstyn and Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Micheal Greger.

When I discovered those people...I was shocked by what I found out. Especially a Book - The China Study! It was then I realized that the Food we are being FED has led most of the population toward OBESITY and Bad Health.

It no longer became about looking GOOD - My LIFE became about being really Healthy.
    Because the American Standard DIET - is to much Processed "anything". Dairy Causes Inflammation - also contributes TO Osteoporosis! Diabetes....is primarily from eating TOO MUCH MEAT!..not carbs. Carbs may turn to sugar once your body becomes Insulin Resistant...but it's a Diet high in Saturated FATS, that causes the Insulin issues DOCTORS HAVE THIS SO BACKWARDS!!!

I am now down to 165...I actually got down to 140, started a new Job that stressed me out so much I ended up gaining back 20. Well...while friends tell me I look fine, I am not happy and as fit as I would like to be.

So my Goal...is 145 by September - I can DO this. I have all the Tools and knowledge this time around. And I have decided to skip the Sugar, and become Vegetarian. Within two weeks, I can feel my body already turning around and already lost 4 lbs.

Juliana