What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but

There is literally no reason to eat a peach when there are nectarines available.

I am this but the opposite.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

There is literally no reason to eat a peach when there are nectarines available.

And with a slight preference for peaches, I'm happy with either.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited July 2020

The fuzz is like nails on a chalkboard except in my mouth :lol: I don't know why it bothers me so much! I finally got a great bunch of nectarines this week, so juicy it ran down your arm as you ate it :heart:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020
    ejbronte wrote: »

Me too, and also apricots. I think I like plums slightly more, but they are all delicious.

I haven't had as many as normal this year since I usually get them at the farmer's market and haven't been. I need to stock up on summer fruit.
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Me too, and also apricots. I think I like plums slightly more, but they are all delicious.

I haven't had as many as normal this year since I usually get them at the farmer's market and haven't been. I need to stock up on summer fruit.

Peaches > apricots > cherries > nectarines > plums > pluots
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Good ripe apricots are ambrosia. Those other things are tasty fruits.
  • lemurcat2

I change my mind about these all the time, but at the moment:

Plums > cherries > peaches > pluots > apricots (only because they are so hard to get the exact right ripeness, the best apricots move to the front) > nectarines, but they are all very close and all better than apples and oranges (which are also excellent). Apples and oranges are better than bananas which are fine but overrated. Plantains are way better than bananas.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2020

No way... :D

Cherries > peaches > nectarines > apricots > plums > pluots

But only certain peaches. I can't stand when peaches are hard and bitter. They have to be perfectly sweet and ripe.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

But only certain peaches. I can't stand when peaches are hard and bitter. They have to be perfectly sweet and ripe.

Cherries have always been top of my favorite fruits list; partly because you have to wait for summer to really enjoy them.

My Spanish father's favorite fruit was cherimoya. We actually had the chance to try them during a trip to Spain. They taste kind of like a sweet pear; the texture is a little more delicate. The black seeds in the white flesh are a pretty layout, and there's a hint of danger to the fruit because you should not eat the seeds, which can make you sick.

I think I do a lot of association:

I love figs because I first tried them in Egypt (in defiance of the sensible warning not to eat fresh things washed in the Nile - I got lucky).

Pomegranates have a special place because a few years ago, I told my nephew the story of Persephone and Hades, illustrated with a pomegranate, which we split open, de-seeded and ate out in the back yard (pomegranates are messy and my sister wouldn't let us play in the kitchen). My nephew loved the story, loved the pomegranate, and now we make a little annual ceremony of it.

One of my very favorite fruit of all is a ripe pear, and this is because back in 1980, I gave myself a graduation gift of my travel overseas without family. It was to Greece, on a tour, in search of the gods. One afternoon, on our little cruise ship, I took a pear out onto the deck. In the distance was a small rowboat with a father and son fishing. They waved to me, and I waved to them. The incident lasted about 5 minutes, in the sun, on the water, three strangers making long-distance contact, and a deliciously ripe, juicy pear punctuating the scene. Every time I eat a pear, I think of Greece and that tiny, sweet incident.

That's such a wonderful memory. Food memories nourish or can also take away our souls. You will always love 'your' pears...
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    The only sweet stuff I like to eat is fruit.
  • lemurcat2
    I don't have special memories associated with pears, but they are one of my favorite fruits (all kinds of pears). For me they are a perfect dessert.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    I have a love/hate relationship with pears. The scrawny little tree we planted 16 years ago is now a towering fruit factory, swamping my kitchen with a tsunami of fruit in late summer, certainly a blessing, but also a bit of a curse with the flurry of canning involved with saving every smidgen.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member

Cherries have always been top of my favorite fruits list; partly because you have to wait for summer to really enjoy them.

My Spanish father's favorite fruit was cherimoya. We actually had the chance to try them during a trip to Spain. They taste kind of like a sweet pear; the texture is a little more delicate. The black seeds in the white flesh are a pretty layout, and there's a hint of danger to the fruit because you should not eat the seeds, which can make you sick.

I think I do a lot of association:

I love figs because I first tried them in Egypt (in defiance of the sensible warning not to eat fresh things washed in the Nile - I got lucky).

Pomegranates have a special place because a few years ago, I told my nephew the story of Persephone and Hades, illustrated with a pomegranate, which we split open, de-seeded and ate out in the back yard (pomegranates are messy and my sister wouldn't let us play in the kitchen). My nephew loved the story, loved the pomegranate, and now we make a little annual ceremony of it.

One of my very favorite fruit of all is a ripe pear, and this is because back in 1980, I gave myself a graduation gift of my travel overseas without family. It was to Greece, on a tour, in search of the gods. One afternoon, on our little cruise ship, I took a pear out onto the deck. In the distance was a small rowboat with a father and son fishing. They waved to me, and I waved to them. The incident lasted about 5 minutes, in the sun, on the water, three strangers making long-distance contact, and a deliciously ripe, juicy pear punctuating the scene. Every time I eat a pear, I think of Greece and that tiny, sweet incident.

Love this!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Something that annoys me is when people expect high protein low calorie options to be exceptional and just as good as the real thing. For example light bread or egg white angel food cake or protein powder fluff or protein chips or protein bars or protein donuts or protein cakes or keto protein puffs or sugar free ketchup or sugar free syrup or sugar free anything etc.

I never expect a “health” food with high protein low calorie to taste incredible like the real deal. But most of my family members and friends expect that and that’s why they don’t like those foods.
  • pancakerunner
    Something that annoys me is when people expect high protein low calorie options to be exceptional and just as good as the real thing. For example light bread or egg white angel food cake or protein powder fluff or protein chips or protein bars or protein donuts or protein cakes or keto protein puffs or sugar free ketchup or sugar free syrup or sugar free anything etc.

I never expect a “health” food with high protein low calorie to taste incredible like the real deal. But most of my family members and friends expect that and that’s why they don’t like those foods.

right. apples to oranges.
  • pancakerunner
    bottled salad dressing is an abomination
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member

No, I totally agree. I'd go as far as to say all ready-made salad dressing is an abomination. It's so easy to make.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    I don't mind bottled salad dressing but the low calorie/fat free ones are basically just water. I'd rather just take the calories!
  • pancakerunner
    yirara wrote: »

No, I totally agree. I'd go as far as to say all ready-made salad dressing is an abomination. It's so easy to make.

agreed! nothing beats fresh ranch!