Calorie Counter

Message Boards Motivation and Support
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
Everyone is welcome! Jump in anytime.
I’ve been on My Fitness Pal on and off for years, and I’ve always had more success when I’m part of a fun group.

Tell us about yourself...what works...what doesn’t work...what makes you happy. 😊
This is a guilt-free group...no judges...as my daughter would say! We are here to enjoy the journey together.
«13456729

Replies

  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just in real quick to cheer you on: I'm waaaay 50+ (64, lost from obese to healthy weight here at age 59-60), afgter becoming much more active/fit from my mid-40s on, but staying fat for another dozen years anyway, by eating too much!).

    You're doing great: Keep up the goodness, it's so worthwhile!

    Thanks Ann! You’ve had an amazing journey.
    Thanks for sharing!!

    Jill
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    Hello Eapar507!

    I’m pretty tall, too. They used to call me the Jolly Green Giant in 2nd grade. I used to wear a green jumper back in 1977...just imagine how stylish it was with a giant collar. Anyway, I’m 5’8”.

    I was never a skinny kid usually pretty average in weight until after having my daughter when I was 34. I got up to 225 pounds when I was pregnant. Now at 50, when I again surpassed my pregnancy weight, I said, “Enough is enough!”

    I’m glad you’re here Eapar507.
    You can call me Jill. 👍

  • Pat_StilesPat_Stiles Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
    I am 5’10 and weigh 213. Down from 230. I was always the tall skinny girl. I weighed 125 when I got married and 135 three kids later. With my 4th i gained all my weight after at the end and have gained more each year after. .... he is now an adult.
    It is so hard to lose weight at 55... but I am determined! I eat healthier now than ever before and get more than 150 min of workout time in each week and feel great. I cannot wait until my body responds.
  • eapar507eapar507 Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Hello Eapar507!

    I’m pretty tall, too. They used to call me the Jolly Green Giant in 2nd grade. I used to wear a green jumper back in 1977...just imagine how stylish it was with a giant collar. Anyway, I’m 5’8”.

    I was never a skinny kid usually pretty average in weight until after having my daughter when I was 34. I got up to 225 pounds when I was pregnant. Now at 50, when I again surpassed my pregnancy weight, I said, “Enough is enough!”

    I’m glad you’re here Eapar507.
    You can call me Jill. 👍
    Thank you for the welcome Jill. You can call me Ellen.
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    Pat_Stiles wrote: »
    I am 5’10 and weigh 213. Down from 230. I was always the tall skinny girl. I weighed 125 when I got married and 135 three kids later. With my 4th i gained all my weight after at the end and have gained more each year after. .... he is now an adult.
    It is so hard to lose weight at 55... but I am determined! I eat healthier now than ever before and get more than 150 min of workout time in each week and feel great. I cannot wait until my body responds.

    Hi Pat,
    Welcome to the tall girl’s club! 😁
    I used to tell people that I was 5’9”, but my daughter is now 5’7”...and just an inch shorter than me... so I guess I’m not as tall as I’ve been telling people for years. 🤭

    Together we will break the 200 pound barrier. Ellen is standing right there ready to cross it, so we’re here to cheer each other on!

    We’ve got this!

    Jill
  • eapar507eapar507 Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member
    Pat_Stiles wrote: »
    I am 5’10 and weigh 213. Down from 230. I was always the tall skinny girl. I weighed 125 when I got married and 135 three kids later. With my 4th i gained all my weight after at the end and have gained more each year after. .... he is now an adult.
    It is so hard to lose weight at 55... but I am determined! I eat healthier now than ever before and get more than 150 min of workout time in each week and feel great. I cannot wait until my body responds.

    Hi Pat. It seems this is turning into the tall girls club lol. I agree it is harder to lose weight now at 50 something. Let’s all rock this as best as we can!!!
    It is great to meet you!!
  • eapar507eapar507 Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member
    sherim1963 wrote: »
    Hi, I guess I'm going to be the odd duck. I'm only 5' 6" tall. I weigh 245 down from 255 in the last 6 months.

    I've never been the skinny girl. They called me chunky when I was young. I lose and gain, lose and gain. I lost a great deal at one point, but I didn't keep it off. I fell back into a bad pattern.

    I'm 55 now and have decided once and for all it's time to eat healthier and get myself in gear. I used to exercise alot, but now not so much. So NOW is the time for a change. I've already started eating a little healthier, tomorrow I'm going shopping for a better diet, and today I went for a walk.

    It's a new day! Great to meet you all!!

    Happy to meet you sherim1963. We can support each other and stay active. Your first steps are good ones. Are you logging your food yet? That will help you even if you aren’t eating in a calorie deficit yet.
  • eapar507eapar507 Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member
    I think the data on these graphs suggest I am eating at maintenance level and not a deficit. I don’t understand it because even if I made some errors in my logging I should have lost some weight over the past 30 days and I have not. Any advice? I might have to lower my calories down another 150. I started at 1700 the first 2 weeks but only got that high on a few occasions. Then my trainer lowered me to 1500 to see if the scale would move, but I am not having any luck. I will discuss with her tonight, but thought to ask here.

    hrdduj8ijexu.jpeg
    6cdnj6p37kvg.jpeg
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    sherim1963 wrote: »
    Hi, I guess I'm going to be the odd duck. I'm only 5' 6" tall. I weigh 245 down from 255 in the last 6 months.

    I've never been the skinny girl. They called me chunky when I was young. I lose and gain, lose and gain. I lost a great deal at one point, but I didn't keep it off. I fell back into a bad pattern.

    I'm 55 now and have decided once and for all it's time to eat healthier and get myself in gear. I used to exercise alot, but now not so much. So NOW is the time for a change. I've already started eating a little healthier, tomorrow I'm going shopping for a better diet, and today I went for a walk.

    It's a new day! Great to meet you all!!

    Welcome Sherim1963!
    All girls are welcome... not just tall girls.😉
    I, too, lost about 40 pounds when I first started MFP, but gained it all back since I didn’t switch into maintenance mode... I just went back to eating everything and anything.
    This time, we’re on the journey together. We’re glad you’re here.

    Jill
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    eapar507 wrote: »
    I think the data on these graphs suggest I am eating at maintenance level and not a deficit. I don’t understand it because even if I made some errors in my logging I should have lost some weight over the past 30 days and I have not. Any advice? I might have to lower my calories down another 150. I started at 1700 the first 2 weeks but only got that high on a few occasions. Then my trainer lowered me to 1500 to see if the scale would move, but I am not having any luck. I will discuss with her tonight, but thought to ask here.

    hrdduj8ijexu.jpeg
    6cdnj6p37kvg.jpeg

    Hi Ellen,

    You had mentioned that your body tends to hold weight for a while, then you experience a whoosh and lose finally lose some weight. Maybe this is the new healthy habit your body has gotten used to and your loss is just around the corner.

    What are your trainer’s thoughts?

    Jill
  • eapar507eapar507 Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member

    [/quote]

    Hi Ellen,

    You had mentioned that your body tends to hold weight for a while, then you experience a whoosh and lose finally lose some weight. Maybe this is the new healthy habit your body has gotten used to and your loss is just around the corner.

    What are your trainer’s thoughts?

    Jill[/quote]

    I haven’t talked with her yet, but I will report back when I do. I haven’t been able to reach the protein goals she set for me yet. I am struggling to get slightly over 100g but my goal is 130g. I usually end up going over on my Fat and hit my carb goal easy without going over or under much.

    It would probably be a good idea to get my blood work done to check my thyroid levels as it has been a while. Maybe my medication dosage needs to be adjusted again. I would hate to think I am one of those people that only loses at 1200 calories, but the last time I lost a significant amount of weight 4 years ago I was eating right around 1100-1300 and limiting carbs a bit more.
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    dustyspal wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Mind if I join in?

    I've been on MFP for what seems like ages. Actually, it has been. I'm 5'8". My first weigh-in was back on 11/16/14 at 275. Since then, I've lost hundreds of pounds, then put them all back on again, plus more. My highest was 340. I restarted last June at 313.3 and currently I am 248. I was down to 220 and am trying to lose again. It's been a lifelong struggle for me to keep weight off. I can lose, but always put it back on. Lets try to keep each other motivated.

    Welcome Dustyspal!

    We all seem to have had travelled the same road. (Sounds like the start of a good country ballad. 🎶) I went back to see when I officially started MFP, and it was in December 2012. The good thing is that we’ve all had success in the past with weight loss, and we’re working on it again. We just have to keep each other on track and keep it off. I believe a big part of this is having a judge free group of friends who are there for you. We’re so happy you’re here!

    ❤️Jill
  • eapar507eapar507 Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member Member, Premium Posts: 64 Member
    dustyspal wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Mind if I join in?

    I've been on MFP for what seems like ages. Actually, it has been. I'm 5'8". My first weigh-in was back on 11/16/14 at 275. Since then, I've lost hundreds of pounds, then put them all back on again, plus more. My highest was 340. I restarted last June at 313.3 and currently I am 248. I was down to 220 and am trying to lose again. It's been a lifelong struggle for me to keep weight off. I can lose, but always put it back on. Lets try to keep each other motivated.

    Hi dustyspal. Glad you are here. I lost close to 100 pounds and put back almost half of it in the last 2 years. I think many of us have been in this position. No judgement from me ever. The struggle is real!!!
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 1,647 Member Member Posts: 1,647 Member
    We were talking about protein earlier. My husband found these great protein shakes. No, I’m not getting paid for this. 🤑 I actually like the vanilla ones better.. but we’re out of those.

    I use them at work when I start to get snacky a few hours after lunch. They’re filling and protein packed. Kroger stocks them, but they’re cheaper on Amazon.

    This is what is working for me... along with low sodium V-8 juice...again...not getting 💰...just sharing successes. I drink my V-8 on my 45 minute commute home....which is a filling and veggie full drink.

    Happy Friday!

    Jill
Sign In or Register to comment.