• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Vicki GiNE: I am happy to see you posting again, and to know you’re okay. :star:

Margaret: Today I had tiny ants in the morning despite spraying with Raid Ant and Roach Spray. When I saw your post about mint it made good sense, but I wanted to protect my mint plant so I can dry leaves so I decided to try German Sage leaves instead. So far the sage leaves have worked brilliantly! I hope the ants are still gone tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the knee advice! I do calf raises and easy squats with my dumbbell workout, but I guess I need to do more.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca, You’re a natural at making people feel comfortable when they’re a little tense or need to know where to go. I’ll bet you we’re excellent in that job.

Ah, I was pretty shy, so that definitely helped. I had to learn to be assertive and yell, "window open down here sir"!😁
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Katlaants don't like cinnamon either! I used to put bay leaves and cinnamon sticks around where I saw my sugar ants in Hammond. Though it looked like a potpourri lover had dropped stuff all over the floor in the bathroom, it worked!
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: You are so close to reaching your goal. Have you been thinking about how you will celebrate? :huh:

By sleeping for a week?!?!

I have not been thinking about celebrating. The thing is, they kind of draw things out so it's anti-climatic. My final assignment is due Oct 9 and that's when I'm "done". But I don't get my marks until sometime toward the end of November so I'm not 100% sure I'm "done" till then. And then I don't graduate until about mid-December.

And meanwhile, I keep working and doing all the other things I do.

There won't be a transition to something new or any sort of break or pause. We can't leave Tasmania and go cycling around Europe for a couple months or spend this coming Christmas with my family in Canada or anything like that. The best I'll get is a few days off so we can organise a group of cycling events in October.

Maybe some sort of celebration will come to me when I get closer.

Meanwhile, the course has begun, I've formed my group and we've got started on the project. So that's good. :)

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,778 Member
    Options
    Machka - it sure was a nice trip this time, not a lot of people or traffic. I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad vacation in the mountains though. We did the Icefield tour in 2009. I remember at the time wondering how that bus stayed on it’s wheels. It will be interesting to see what happened. One comment I read on the article was someone claiming to be there and said it was a rock slide. I guess we’ll see.

Heather - happy to hear your husband is sitting. I’m at as scary for you as it is for him. Rodger passed out one time years ago in a little bathroom, it was frightening.

Allie - I was suffering terribly from insomnia since Covid hit a few weeks ago I started using the stuff that is legal in Canada and it has helped me tremendously.

Lisa - I think what you said makes the difference. I enjoy doing for Rodger it’s one of the ways I show my love. I’m sorry you grew up in fear, my best friend grew up in fear. Since I have been reading my Mom’s diaries I’ve learned that my parents still had her for sleepovers even if I wasn’t home. I’ve learned that is how she escaped a lot.

Katla - I visited PEI in 1995 when my girls and I took a small trip with my parents. We were visiting my Dad’s brother and my Dad was most concerned that we all got a ferry ride in before the bridge was built connecting New Brunswick and PEI. We didn’t do any of the tourist destinations and I wish we would have. I enjoyed another LM Montgomery book more than Anne of Green Gables. It was called The Story Girl, if you ever get an opportunity it is a nice read.
    We had an ant issue last year and our fix seems to have continued to this year as well. We used Borax and Icing sugar, it’s not safe for pets or children though. We just mixed it half and half and spread it outside around our house on a dry day. It also killed the grass though.

Kelly - I hope you feel better soon, one of the symptoms we have to report at work for Covid is dizziness just FYI. I am so happy to read that your Aunt thought of you whatever you choose will be a precious keepsake.
    What wonderful pictures, I joined a FB group of Alberta Aurora Chasers, they have been posting beautiful shots, when we were camping I was hoping to see it but couldn’t stay up late enough.

Rebecca - what a beautiful building!

Well I went back to work today, it is very stressful right now as our government has decided that we should allow visitors starting tomorrow. As staff we have been so careful and it feels like all of our sacrifices to ensure the safety of our residents was for nothing.

Tonight we are having our Grandson for a sleepover for the first time since January. We are allowed to do so here, as he is part of our cohort. He is staying for two nights and then Friday we are switching him out for his Sister. They need a break from one another and I think their Mom needs a break too. Right now we are watching an episode of LEGO Masters that I recorded this Spring to watch with him. We have 9 episodes left so we won’t get them all watched on this trip. We also have 23 episodes of Young Sheldon, I save them to watch with him. He thinks Sheldon is cool and was over the moon last year when he had to wear a bow tie at his Aunts wedding. He has been wearing it at every opportunity since, even with T-shirt’s when his Mother doesn’t catch him. I’ll post a picture in the next post.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,778 Member
    Options
    I can’t edit my post, the top picture is at the wedding, the middle picture was while he was in his pj’s at our place last fall and the third was his 8th birthday, we share a birthday so we were having a dinner out to celebrate.

Tracey
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: I’ll keep cinnamon in mind when I want to repel ants, but I’m very happy with what happened today. The Bergarten Sage cuttings have worked wonders. I wonder what tomorrow morning will look like. :heart:

M in OZ: I know you love Tasmania, and also that you would like to spend a bit of time in Canada and possibly other places. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Happiness is what I hope for, no matter where you are. :star:

Snowflake: I fell in love with Prince Edward Island years ago when I was watching the Anne of Green Gables series on TV. My son and daughter also loved it, especially my son. We hope to visit there together some day. :heart: Your grandson is a handsome boy. I love his outfit. :smiley:

My Bergarten Sage plant clippings are still repelling ants. Yay!!!! So far, so good. I hope tomorrow shows no ants crawling in my kitchen or anywhere else in the house.

• pipcd34
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Katla,

Ants leave scent trails so the rest of the colony can locate the food source. So one must find where they are coming from and wipe down their path. Once everything is wiped down make sure all sweets are secured and then bay leafs in the corner of each cabinet and along their path works wonders.

Ants can be a real problem here in SFL. They come in during dry season and then again during wet season. Once every two years or so I remove all of my light switch covers and squeeze borax in to the walls. All sweets are double bagged/jarred. For some darn reason the ants here love candied ginger so I have the box in a mason jar and the mason jar is in a ziploc bag.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Had a horrible day yesterday ending with having to take our little cat Logan to the emergency vet at 10:30 p.m. The vet was so kind and let Heather be with him, but Logan died before he could be put to sleep. :'( He deteriorated very quickly. Heather is heartbroken, she had a special bond with Logan, he was her cat and he loved her, but in all the years we had him, he never seemed to trust me for some reason.

Leah was very sweet and slept on Heather's bed last night, (a place normally taken by Logan) Maggie doesn't seem too bothered that her brother is no longer around, and hasn't bothered with him for a few days now, probably knew better than us that he was dying.

Going to take it easy today, didn't get much sleep last night.

Still catching up with all your news, so hugs to those that need them <3<3

Viv UK

I'm so very sorry
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Viv, So sorry about the loss of Logan. Big hug to you and yours.