WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Good day to everyone. It’s been wet for a couple of days now, so exercise is indoors.

Viv: It’s heartbreaking when we lose one of our furry friends. At least Logan is at peace now. (((Hugs)))
    Pip: Bad luck in the phone. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
    Evie: Have a great time at the weekend.

It’s our 54th Wedding Anniversary on Saturday. Planning a simple celebration meal. We may go visit DED on Sunday if the weather improves.

Planning too take it easy today as I have a touch of DOMS. No point in aggravating the muscles. I’ve plenty to keep me busy.

Pax vobiscum

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Went to add this, but still can’t edit posts in my iPhone Grrrr!
    Congratulations 🥳 to those celebrating céad miele fáilte to the newbies. Don’t let all the posts put you off. 😂

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka, the graduation could definitely be a moment for celebration if you are so inclined. Some people are much bigger on celebrations than others. My older sister, much more extroverted but not flashy, loves rituals, celebrations, get-togethers. I often let them go by and my best moments in life are mostly not very planned quiet but nice connection moments in nature or at home (or somewhere) with a loved one.
    The celebration aspect (even for just 2) can have a sense of expectation, which can sometimes make the moment a bit less wow, but it depends. I've had some nice little birthday dinners (with 4-7 people),and some probably more awesome birthdays just sitting on a lovely beach with a dear one. (birthday is mid-august the day before a major public holiday here).
    Being introverted do you think you might not like the flashiness of the notion of celebration even if you do it as a twosome or alone? Some people are just very low key. I may be projecting though!

I lost a post yesterday I think.

I was a remplacement person for getting a farmers market bag (when I last saw it a farmer from maybe 50-200km from Paris comes to Paris with his truck and has enough food for portions for 60 households, these people sign up in advance for a whole year, (like 12 euros per back or 20 depending on the portion), to get fresh organic food and also give the farmer better wages, cutting out the middlemen. They have a great system of online notification when someone is absent.

So I had some veggies as part of breakfast both yesterday (cuke) and today (tomato). I like this and think it's to continue!

I got a massive zucchini (small baseball bat), not the way zucchinis are generally sought out but online I found slices oven-grilled with oil and seasoning was great and then I made brownies with it too.
    The grilles zuke was fine but I ate all the brownies (not a ton, a very thin batch of brownies less than a centimetre thick in a pie pan). There was about 4 T of butter, some olive oil, and some argue syrup (but not a lot) and 2/3 cup of soybean, coconut and some other odd high-protein flour (I have a variety of GF flours that I don't use a ton, stocked up a bit early COVID)., so a good chunk of calories. I didn't eat anything else for dinner, so that's something. But weight is up today. :/

From the day before yesterday :
    1)going out for a slow walk (better than nothing) and maybe stop for coffee at a café (1h or so max) DONE
    2) 5 min meditation (5 min) DONE YESTERDAY
    3) touching the earth (1 min) NOT DONE
    4) an hour housework (1h) DONE
    5) follow up on insurance DONE and electricity stuff STARTED NOT DONE for apartment, and put up an ad for the apartment (1-2h) N
    6) work on application for continuing ed (1h at least) STARTED NEED TO FINISH
    7) see if I can switch osteopath appointment (5 min) COULDNT IT WAS GOOD TO KEEP
    8) go to online writing class (6 hours max) DONE
    9) pick up vegetables (bought neighbour's part in weekly organic veggie delivery, during her summer vacation)(30 min to walk there-5 min, find the place, chat, etc not be rushed) FORGOT BUT THEY CALLED ME LAST MINUTE DONE
    10) work on art work at least (30 min) NOT DONE
    yikes that's a lot ! Not a lot of hours: 10h11 minutes from 8 am to 8pm...leaving a couple of hours for rest, meals and unexpected, but I get off track sometimes. I think I'm less focused w age

Pretty good actually.

Today,
    1)going out for a walk and maybe stop for coffee at a café (1h or so max) DONE
    2) 5 min meditation (5 min) DONE
    3) touching the earth (1 min) DONE
    4) an hour housework (1h) DONE
    5) work on application for continuing ed NEED TO FINISH AND SEND TODAY
    6) Online academic writing class (1-3:30 and 4:30 to 5:30, it's not ideal but I can skip the last writing sessions) (3.5h)
    7) Meeting friend-colleague at end of day for worker's-rights related contact (30-60 min?)
    8) Possible work-related meeting with one school. (30 min max) maybe tomorrow.
    9) Eat less calories

If time and not too stressed follow up electrician and apartment rental stuff.NO WAY! NO TIME LEFT! MAYBE TOMORROW!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Viv, so sorry for the passing of your sweet kitty, Logan. Our fur babies are such wonderful companions. Losing them is hard. ❤️
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Viv -
    I'm so sorry about Logan.

Terri -
    Happy 54th anniversary!

Pip -
    Welcome to the dark side (the retired side. :)) How are things going with the sale of the house?

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Machka, the graduation could definitely be a moment for celebration if you are so inclined. Some people are much bigger on celebrations than others. My older sister, much more extroverted but not flashy, loves rituals, celebrations, get-togethers. I often let them go by and my best moments in life are mostly not very planned quiet but nice connection moments in nature or at home (or somewhere) with a loved one.
    The celebration aspect (even for just 2) can have a sense of expectation, which can sometimes make the moment a bit less wow, but it depends. I've had some nice little birthday dinners (with 4-7 people),and some probably more awesome birthdays just sitting on a lovely beach with a dear one. (birthday is mid-august the day before a major public holiday here).
    Being introverted do you think you might not like the flashiness of the notion of celebration even if you do it as a twosome or alone? Some people are just very low key. I may be projecting though!

When I reach October 10th ... or sometime in November when the marks come out ... or sometime in December when I graduate ... I probably will want to celebrate. :)

But I've never been one to get excited about things in advance. It's not until I am sure it is actually happening that I begin to feel any sort of excitement.

I recall working in Canada and getting ready to go to Europe for a trip. There I would see my husband-to-be who was also flying into London, and we would spend a month together. We hadn't seen each other for some time and we were looking forward to this trip.

About 10 days before I was to go, one of my work colleagues made the comment that she couldn't understand how I could come in and work calmly. Wasn't I almost going inside out with excitement about the upcoming trip and seeing my husband-to-be?

No, I wasn't. I was looking forward to the trip, but I wasn't excited about it. I didn't get excited until I was on the plane taking off from the airport. That's when I felt the first surge of excitement. It was actually happening. I was on my way.

This is similar.

I see the work involved. I know there's a chance I might not pass, although I'll throw as much work into it as possible so that I do pass. And I know that there's 2.5 months in which absolutely anything could happen. (Our unis are on really shaky ground right now because they put all their eggs in one basket ... international students. Now that Asian students can't come, unis are laying off instructors, reducing wages, and shutting down programs)

When I know it is actually happening, that's when I'll feel the first surge of excitement.

As for what kind of celebration ...

I celebrate things by doing one of two things:

1) Travelling.
    2) Taking on an athletic challenge such as cycling, hiking or running.

For example, the year I turned 50 (2017), we travelled to Canada and did 2 long cycling events plus a couple decent hikes which were significant to me. :grin:

And when my husband and I got married in 2008, we travelled into the Canadian Rockies and stayed near Jasper. On the day of our wedding, we cycled 100 miles (a century) and then got married on a dock on Lake Annette just out of Jasper. <3

So to celebrate this graduation, there will need to be some sort of travel and either cycling, hiking or running.

As I mentioned, one of my ideas was to go to Canada for Christmas, a couple weeks after my grad. At one time, I thought that might be a possibility ... I could spend the first Christmas with my family since 2012!!
    But that's not going to happen now, so I'll think of something else when the time comes.

Speaking of celebrations ...

What do you all (everyone here in this thread) do to celebrate things?

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Had a horrible day yesterday ending with having to take our little cat Logan to the emergency vet at 10:30 p.m. The vet was so kind and let Heather be with him, but Logan died before he could be put to sleep. :'( He deteriorated very quickly. Heather is heartbroken, she had a special bond with Logan, he was her cat and he loved her, but in all the years we had him, he never seemed to trust me for some reason.

Leah was very sweet and slept on Heather's bed last night, (a place normally taken by Logan) Maggie doesn't seem too bothered that her brother is no longer around, and hasn't bothered with him for a few days now, probably knew better than us that he was dying.

Going to take it easy today, didn't get much sleep last night.

Still catching up with all your news, so hugs to those that need them <3<3

Viv UK

So very sorry. :(
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Viv - So sorry! Hugs for my namesake. <3

I decided to go for my 5k run after breakfast today. It throws my day out a bit, but I don't like the heat of the afternoon. DH said he would be ok without me. :| I'm so glad I went. The tide was out, so there were loads of Hovarians walking along the beach and the sea was full of paddleboarders. I took a photo of two women doing yoga on the beach, which I will post if it's any good. Lots of runners and cyclists. Perhaps now the Greens are in power we will get more cycle lanes through the city.
    Came home to find DH had done 400 calories cycling and was onto light dumbbells. He still is a bit 'swimmy', but improving. He gets a bit despondent about it all. He was so fit. His confidence has taken a knock.
    I got on the rower and then did my mat work and weights.

Now to get on with my memoir.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Viv - So very sorry. Hugs!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here. But nothing to say. Its that kinda day
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Heather I so badly want to paddleboard being an ex windsurfer, but with the loss of one of my balance nerves, I cannot be in water very deep. If I go underwater I have no sense of direction other than letting out bubbles and watching which way is up. I still dream of living in the Caribbean where the water is clear and about one foot deep all along the sandy beach. I could paddleboard there and feel safe, well that is if I could learn to balance on it. I tried in the beginner's spot locally and after several falls in cold water with a group of bikini clad Girl Scouts laughing at me, I decided I best forget it.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Viv So sad to hear about the late night scramble to get to the emergency vet and the death of poor little Logan. That must have been so traumatic for both you and Heather. Condolences to you both. (((Hugs)))

Tracey The diary entries from your Mom about having your friend over for sleepovers even when you weren't there touched my heart. What good parents you had. And cute grandkids! Love the suspenders and the bow tie.

Evelyn I hope the trattoria pick up is easy and you enjoy your special birthday meal! Here we just call the restaurant from the parking lot. They bring the food out and do the transaction with a portable card reader.

Thanks for all the ant tips. Sage, cinnamon, corn meal, borax…

Karen in Virginia

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Rebecca ~ What a beautiful bank you and your dad worked in. Very majestic. They just don't build things like that any more.

Tracey ~ Very cute grandson.

Viv ~ So sorry to hear about your poor kitty.

Has anyone heard from Amber?

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :'(<3Viv, I am so sorry about Logan. Our fur babies are never with us long enough.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Yes here is hoping Amber and her family are ok..
    Again I didn't sleep well that is 2 nights in a row and not breathing well..ive never had any of that.. and No its not the virus other than that im feeling well. .I am up here with Faith overnight and then will have the day to myself and then back for the weekend.. the money will come in handy...
    Hope everyone is well..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Gilad’s Total Body Sculpt DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Biggest Loser Calorie Knockout DVD

Went to WalMart then Food Lion (early in the am. Before the newspaper came)

Tracey – your gs so so cute in that bow tie

Rebecca – does cinnamon repel those red ants?

M – I’m sorry you can’t move. I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’ll never see my son

Viv UK – I’m so sorry about Logan.

SuziQ – it’s not just ants that are a problem in FL. We have an exterminator come into the condo quite often. When we finally get down there, there are usually these black bugs dead on the porch so I need to vacuum them up. We have to keep everything bagged, especially since we aren’t there much. We need to take anything that can get soft from the humidity home with us (crackers, cereal)

Terri – 54 years! Wow!

The other day I was stung by a yellowjacket. How it hurt when it happened. Now it is so itchy and a bit swollen. The yj was in a towel that I used as I was wiping myself off from the pool

Bananas – what is “touching the earth”

Heather – the yoga by the sea looks so relaxing

Michele NC