WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Lanette Thanks for that photo! It is so true and I always told the ladies when I hosted a senior women's fitness group that weight isn't as important as where the weight is and also height can be misleading. 40 lbs extra on the hips and legs don't pose the health risk as that same weight on your belly. The question is where is your weight? I am 5' 9" and now weight 142 which I would like to get up to 155 if the weight went to my fading bottom and legs. Once on nerve meds my weight soared to 201and it all went to my belly! If it had been my hips and not posed a medical issue, I might not have been so focused on getting it off.
    4mwjiw4iv5s1.jpg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Lanette Can you see Mt Adams? It would be just a bit east of St Helens.
    jkm7o714z0qa.jpg

I haven't looked for Mt. Adams from my neighborhood (not far from I-5), though when we go east on Hwy 12 we have spotted it before.

Many years ago we lived in Snoqualmie with Mt. Si right outside of our picture window (it seemed, lol - though it was miles away.)

We live in a gorgeous area, don't we?

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    22 pages behind! Will catch up later...
    https://youtu.be/8M7n3AUZ2rU
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Viv (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) sorry to hear about Logan

Machka – Is there any chance you could get your family to come to you?

Pip and Kirby – happy Belated Anniversary!

Lisa – This is the fence you’ll tell stories about to the great grand children!

Love the tug o war with the cone of shame !!!

Sharoncoate – welcome, you’ve done a great job, you can keep it up

Kim from N. California
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Rodger used to drive truck so I know about dealing with things on your own. Bugs don’t bug me (haha) but I hate mice and have had to deal with them more than I like. It seemed if something was going to happen it was going to happen while he was away. He still complains that I’m too controlling but had to be and I’ve never gotten out of that habit I guess.

Katla - I hope you get there someday.

Yvonne - I personally haven’t tried CBD oil so I can’t answer, I just know it has helped a lot of my friends.

Lisa - I’m so sorry you are having such a terrible day with your fence.

Well our first day of visits went fairly well. It’s scary as our numbers are the highest they have been since the end of April, but our government ordered us to open.

I am getting ready to go for a walk, Jonah is going to join me riding his bike. I don’t know how this will work but we’ll see.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Viv, so sorry to hear of Logan's passing, so hard when our furbabies leave us
    Evelyn, Vancouver island
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Pip, are the sneak peek views of Mt. Rainier worth it? There are a few spots heading south on I-5 into Seattle from Mountlake Terrace that are stunning. The road rises high enough to see the whole thing from base to crown. That’s the view I fell in love with in 1959 when I was 16 and traveling the West from Missouri, their summer home, in a huge loop taking in Grand Tetons, Yosemite, northern Idaho, the Palouse and Coulee country in Eastern Washington, Bellevue (a tiny village then!), Seattle, and then down an endless avenue of trees briefly interrupted by a gas station/grocery where Federal Way is now, a place I pronounced as “POO-ya-lup”, sparking gales of laughter at our lunch spot, and Mt Rainier Park, where my grandpa’s best friend from child in Ohio lived in a log cabin he and his wife had built themselves. I almost walked head-on into a black bear eating the blackberries by their fence. The bear and I both said, “Woof!” He ran, I froze. We then continued down to the Columbia, out to the Pacific, down the coast to San Francisco and Hayward CA, down the Central Valley to LA, Disneyland, and East in Rte. 66 back to Joplin, where their house was demolished in the awful tornado a few years back. We took several other trips, but that one is the reason I moved from Ihio to the west coast at 24 and hopscotched in multiple moves to where I’d always wanted to be. Near Seattle and Mama Mountain, as many of us call Rainier, although her name is actually Tahoma originally. There’s much talk of returning to that name. You folks are doing my west coast move in reverse.

Dr. Katie, losing a close friend, especially suddenly, is a punch in the gut. I suffered a similar loss five years ago. Thinking about her on or near anniversary dates is still hard, but the happy memories outweigh the sorrow by many times. It takes a while to get over that sucker punch of death. My heart goes out to you dealing with news of the loss of two friends at once!

Dlfk (if I remembered what name you prefer, I’d put it in. Sorry!) what happy times with your dad! We are surrounded here on several fronts at the Club where I live with invasive non-native Himalayan blackberries. There are also a few Marionberries (similar, but larger and sweeter), and two small red raspberries down the entry road, as well as some pretty tasteless Salmonberries. I need to try to get some blackberries picked and frozen. Do they need any special prep before freezing?

DellaFaye, Mt. Baker and it’s companion? (Can’t remember companiob’s name!)

Allie, know that “poof” feeling well, lol.

Rebecca, that saying is really about what my life is becoming! Thank you for posting it.

I’m just on page 69 and this post is immense. Think I’ll post now and reserve the right to post more after I read the rest of today.

Sharon Near Seattle

Sharon- the berries do not need any prep at all- if you want, you can freeze them on a cookie sheet then put in zip lock bag. I usually just dump them in a bag and freeze, or eat them fresh and make a cobbler that night. I make sure and take my time- picking only the nice ripe ones- NO red at all- if they fall off the bush, they are ready, if you have to pull them, not quite ready. Mom makes pies, cobblers, jelly/jam or just adds them to ice cream.
    I need to see if they are ready- I am ready for a little time with them again.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I celebrate things by doing one of two things:

1) Travelling.
    2) Taking on an athletic challenge such as cycling, hiking or running.

What do you all (everyone here in this thread) do to celebrate things?

Machka in Oz

We also celebrate by traveling, usually. I don't want or need "stuff." I have way too much of it already. We don't really celebrate anything except our birthdays and we try to take each other somewhere. This year, that didn't happen. However, we've gone to a lot of places for birthdays and the holidays as our gift to each other.

We just love to travel, so do it whenever we can. This staying in and not being able to plan is making me nutty.

Tina in CA

I know what you mean! That's exactly how we celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and holidays ... we travel somewhere to experience something.

We don't need stuff and we don't eat out much.

What do you all (everyone here in this thread) do to celebrate things?

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Finished the mile-a-minute afghan. I’ll take it to the soup kitchen tomorrow to see if they can use it. If not, I’ll give it to a friend of mine

Lisa – wowoza! Glad no one got hurt. I’m so sorry about that contract

Sharon – great before and after photos. Welcome!

Michele NC
    Who is off to beddy bye
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Machka – Is there any chance you could get your family to come to you?

Kim from N. California

No ... Australia isn't allowing anyone in from other countries. Our country borders are closed, and several states (including Tasmania) are closed off from other Australian states.

They don't think international flights will resume for another year at least.

Canada is the same ... their borders are closed too.

Machka in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    A meal out, not brought home, I want no dishes! that is my celebration event, and always rare, but now even rarer... My birthday is next month and I was asked what I was making for my birthday.... not that unusual.

Kim
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lanette so I have been starting my eating window at 11am and eating lunches and then dinner! My OMAD lifestyle has gone out the window! I know I have gained weight and its so frustrating! Sometimes the mere fact of restarted is so daunting! So I am settling for eating more than I should. Pip 👢 I guess its time!
    💖Rebecca

strapping the boot on....