Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    This is something worthy to pass around

Cover your nose with your mask to prevent COVID-19 spread | Miami Herald
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244473917.html
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    ka4u8mwav667.png
    Mmmmmm... huckleberries... yum...

My parents just send us some huckleberry chapstick so we could restock and my husband asked if there was a huckleberry shake in there too :lol:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    This is something worthy to pass around

Cover your nose with your mask to prevent COVID-19 spread | Miami Herald
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244473917.html

Are you sure chins don't catch COVID-19 first? :p
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    I ALWAYS wear a mask around other people. I will not risk giving my mom any kind of sickness. She has lung, breast and bone cancer on top of COPD plus had radiation treatments. That reason is why I get so frustrated about people complaining they need to wear a mask. I don't care if I get sick. I care if she gets sick!

People like your mom are the only reason I wear a mask. I would not be able to live with myself if I found out (or thought) that I came into contact with an at-risk person and made them sick or killed them. I personally don't think the masks do anything at all, but I would rather wear one just in case.
  • Gisel2015
    ShredWeek1 wrote: »
    I wear a face mask just the same way I would put on a seat belt when I get in a car...probably I won't get in an accident, but if I do I want to know that I took every precaution.

The virus is an airborne virus. It travels in the air, it lands on surfaces. We don't know exactly how far it travels, how long it lingers on surfaces.

Given that we know so little, I'm taking every precaution that I can.

I had a dream (actually a nightmare), while back where I opened the front door and the virus was trying to get in. I don't remember actually seeing it with its spike protein and all in the dream, but it was the "idea and a ghostly presence" in my dreams telling me that it was there. Awful!!

I had been talking with some friends over the phone and we were commenting that the SARS virus seemed to be lurking everywhere, so maybe that was the reason for the dream. The thought stayed in my sub-conscience.
  • Gisel2015
    I wear a mask at the gym (that's the only pubic space I've been in since March 13th); and only take off for short periods to drink water.

The risk of contracting COVID and spreading it to my kids and elderly father with emphysema outweighs the "discomfort" of the mask. I read that mask use can reduce the wearer's risk of contracting COVID by 30% (can't provide source, but I'm sure that can be googled searched). 30% is better than 0%...and wearing a mask is a super easy behavior.

Plus, I order a KISS mask, so I have a cool mask.

Your gym sounds very interesting.... :D:D:D
  • Gisel2015
    freda78 wrote: »
    Lots of people here seem convinced that face coverings will protect them from covid19 - why? I have no idea as it really won't. Where does this delusion come from????

CNN have an interesting piece on this today too.

Are you referring to this?: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/covid-mask-layers-wellness/index.html

Please, post the link if you are going to refer to an article in a newspaper or magazine.
This discussion has been closed.