Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    For those areas mandating wearing masks now, how does it get enforced? I'm just curious because our state will start mandating masks 8/1 and I'm so glad! But my thought is, who's going to listen then if they're not bothering now and who's going to enforce the issue?
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited July 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    For those areas mandating wearing masks now, how does it get enforced? I'm just curious because our state will start mandating masks 8/1 and I'm so glad! But my thought is, who's going to listen then if they're not bothering now and who's going to enforce the issue?

That's a good question. I'm in a state where masks are mandated. However, whether the public enters a business with or without a mask is left up to individual businesses -- which puts the employees at risk of verbal abuse or violence when they try to enforce wearing a mask.

Businesses also don't want to completely antagonize the non-mask-wearers or they can't survive financially. Some businesses are more lenient than others. I believe it comes down to the state government. In my state, wearing a mask is a mandate, but the state will not enforce it.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2020
    I went to the grocery store. Masks are mandatory but about half were not wearing one. The manager is not equipped to enforce it and he was working his head off stocking shelves. Most of them were lone locals and entire families of tourists....5-6 of them in a group. It was business as usual.

Many of the clerks were wearing them below their nose and I thought about Gisel's good info. <3

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,852 Member

The police have the ability to fine you $200. However, they will most likely ask you if you have a mask and if you don't they will offer to give you one. If you still refuse you get the fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7C5vpbISSI

This video makes me rage.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member

The police have the ability to fine you $200. However, they will most likely ask you if you have a mask and if you don't they will offer to give you one. If you still refuse you get the fine.

$200???? wow it's like they actually want there to be consequences for bad behavior. my city's fine is a whopping $9.
  • The scientific evidence points to the fact that wearing masks may reduce COVID spread in areas where 1.5m distancing cannot be maintained however it does not account for people:
    1) Going out with cold symptoms wearing a mask because they think this makes them "safe"
    2) Failing to maintain 1.5m distancing because they think they don't need to as they are wearing a mask
    3) Washing their hands less and touching their face more
    4) Travelling during "busy" times on public transport as they think that because everyone is wearing a face covering it is ok
    5) Having poor mask hygiene (masks need to be changed/washed on a regular basis, its not something that should just be shoved in a pocket, when your doing this you are touching the mask with your potentially contaminated hands, then you put the mask back on your face!)
    Whilst the research supports that wearing a mask reduces droplet transmission if you cough sneeze, if an individual is coughing and sneezing they should be at home. Mask wearing one tool in an arsenal of fighting COVID, it should be employed appropriately (i.e when distance cannot be maintained). Don't (like so many others i've seen around and about) let wearing a mask make you feel you can ignore the basic tenet of distancing.

This is good, you're right it is the whole package. The most effective prevention method is layering of ALL THE THINGS TOGETHER.

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,852 Member

$200???? wow it's like they actually want there to be consequences for bad behavior. my city's fine is a whopping $9.

9 bucks?? Its an amount so small Id probably just forget to pay it lmao. Not that would happen tho (pro mask).
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited July 2020

9 bucks?? Its an amount so small Id probably just forget to pay it lmao. Not that would happen tho (pro mask).

it was probably the most they could get anyone to agree on. a slap on the wrist that the karens can just walk off. plenty of people out here still think it's all a hoax to undermine the president or force them to be microchipped or insert your choice of conspiracy theory, and they're quick to get violent about it. months ago other cities were having to rescind mask ordinances put up as precautions to prevent our current rate of spread because people were out open-carrying and threatening store employees. now that our rate is pretty steadily over a thousand cases a day the reasonable people are starting to outnumber the goons, but i'm sure it's still on our reps' minds.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,664 Member
    Masks have been required in PA for months. However, the rule is not really enforced. When the state loosened up restrictions generally, a lot of stores decided the mask rule no longer applied (if it ever did) and stopped requiring masks. With the recent increase in cases, and constant reiteration by the Governor and Sec. of Health that masks are still required, most stores went back to asking customers to wear masks using signs at the door and within the store, plus people at the door who check incoming customers. The small grocery nearest to our house does not ask customers to wear masks, so a lot of people don't. I don't like to go there as a result.The grocery I usually go to, Giant, was handing out masks to people who didn't have them. Compliance was high. Walmart had people at the door telling people to wear masks, but did nothing when some people refused. Some people wore masks into the store, but took them off once past the door. Many who wore masks in the store took them off the second they left, despite the fact that they were passing very close to a line of people waiting to get in. Since I have a vulnerable spouse, I found it very irritating.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,130 Member
    It can happen to the young and healthy too. Don't fool yourself. Wear a mask or stay home. Who knows how many people she probably infected before she went to the hospital.

24-year-old who beat Covid-19 after nearly 80 days in a hospital says she regrets not wearing a mask -
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/paola-castillo-coronavirus-texas-trnd/index.html
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

It is actually $9 and they offer you a mask and ask you to put it on or leave. Second offense=same, third offense, the fine is $200, so there actually could be consequences, but yes, it’s more of a request to wear one first.

This discussion has been closed.