Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    For those areas mandating wearing masks now, how does it get enforced? I'm just curious because our state will start mandating masks 8/1 and I'm so glad! But my thought is, who's going to listen then if they're not bothering now and who's going to enforce the issue?

The police have the ability to fine you $200. However, they will most likely ask you if you have a mask and if you don't they will offer to give you one. If you still refuse you get the fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7C5vpbISSI

This video makes me rage.

$200???? wow it's like they actually want there to be consequences for bad behavior. my city's fine is a whopping $9.

9 bucks?? Its an amount so small Id probably just forget to pay it lmao. Not that would happen tho (pro mask).

It is actually $9 and they offer you a mask and ask you to put it on or leave. Second offense=same, third offense, the fine is $200, so there actually could be consequences, but yes, it’s more of a request to wear one first.

ah i thought i might have heard it eventually escalates, thanks. guess that does leave room for the people who genuinely do forget one to have a couple strikes, but by the third time plus you're definitely clowning.
  • will_it_go_round_in_circles
    will_it_go_round_in_circles Posts: 985 Member
    edited July 2020
    Only wear one b/c I’ve been assaulted multiple times by other customers when trying to pick up my seizure meds and groceries. Was specifically told by my neuro NOT to wear them (even carry a medical note with me) b/c they cause me to overheat & seize, & pose a suffocation risk if i have a grand mal. Apparently covid looks the other way if you’re attacking someone for having a preexisting condition.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

If wearing a mask seriously interferes with a pre-existing condition, then by all means you should not wear one IF it's what your doctor says. IDK what kind of pre-existing condition that might be, seeing as I know people with COPD and emphysema who wear them all the time and only complain about the discomfort. I'm sure they exist, there are exceptions for every rule, and rules for every exception.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    For those areas mandating wearing masks now, how does it get enforced? I'm just curious because our state will start mandating masks 8/1 and I'm so glad! But my thought is, who's going to listen then if they're not bothering now and who's going to enforce the issue?

The police have the ability to fine you $200. However, they will most likely ask you if you have a mask and if you don't they will offer to give you one. If you still refuse you get the fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7C5vpbISSI

This video makes me rage.

Amazingly polite employees and police officers, despite having to deal with an adult acting like a two-year-old (repeatedly asking the same questions over and over, and denying the validity of the answers). But I'm guessing the narrator's low subscribership issue isn't because people are repeatedly watching without subscribing. I'm thinking he just has really high turnover because most people can't stand to listen to him say "guys" one more time.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    I've been working at home since the start of the pandemic so I haven't worn a mask a lot, but when outside of the house I always have it with me. I don't wear it outside when it's just me or just me an my family, but in stores, public spaces, areas with people gathering, etc. for sure.

The way that I've looked at it from the beginning was wear it as it does little other than be a minor nuisance/inconvenience for what could help. With the naysayers (I have a lot in my family) I tell them I'd rather wear it and be wrong and have hurt no-one, than to not wear it and cause someone to become deathly ill/die.

I'm not perfect because it hasn't become habit with as little as I get out but I have it with me and sometimes its just a matter of seeing someone else to remember.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited July 2020
    Only wear one b/c I’ve been assaulted multiple times by other customers when trying to pick up my seizure meds and groceries. Was specifically told by my neuro NOT to wear them (even carry a medical note with me) b/c they cause me to overheat & seize, & pose a suffocation risk if i have a grand mal. Apparently covid looks the other way if you’re attacking someone for having a preexisting condition.

That’s so sad. Hugs. Could you try something like this?
    8r3b831yxfoo.jpeg
    Don’t know if it would work for you, but I have seen people wearing them.

I’ve even seen them on sale at a grocery store.

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    I'm not a scientist-- I don't know whose information I'm supposed to trust. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but historically, in every country, drama like this goes down during every election year. Which does make me reluctant to trust any news or educated professional.

I wear a mask because I am not opinionated enough about it to go one way or another, and people seem more offended by people not wearing a mask. I do not wear it while I am out for run/walks as I live in Louisiana have trouble breathing normal hot air as it is and no one is around.
  • Only wear one b/c I’ve been assaulted multiple times by other customers when trying to pick up my seizure meds and groceries. Was specifically told by my neuro NOT to wear them (even carry a medical note with me) b/c they cause me to overheat & seize, & pose a suffocation risk if i have a grand mal. Apparently covid looks the other way if you’re attacking someone for having a preexisting condition.

If wearing a mask seriously interferes with a pre-existing condition, then by all means you should not wear one IF it's what your doctor says. IDK what kind of pre-existing condition that might be, seeing as I know people with COPD and emphysema who wear them all the time and only complain about the discomfort. I'm sure they exist, there are exceptions for every rule, and rules for every exception.

The same people who have assaulted me refuse to use sanitizer and broke distancing and even torn off their own mask to spit on me. Even gone out of their way (20+ feet down an aisle) to do so. Last time I was given a concussion and suffered a grand mal later that day as a result.

Dang, I'm sorry. Covid or no, that's inexcusable human behavior.
  • CobaltTurtle2
    CobaltTurtle2 Posts: 5 Member
    Of course I wear one. Yes, it's mandated where I am, but it's also one of the things I can do to be responsible. I want to be part of the solution, even in a small way, rather than part of the problem. Like maintaining distance, I wear a mask to protect others from any risk I may inadvertently present. And honestly, it's less difficult than wrestling myself into a sports bra. :p
  • Only wear one b/c I’ve been assaulted multiple times by other customers when trying to pick up my seizure meds and groceries. Was specifically told by my neuro NOT to wear them (even carry a medical note with me) b/c they cause me to overheat & seize, & pose a suffocation risk if i have a grand mal. Apparently covid looks the other way if you’re attacking someone for having a preexisting condition.

Kind of. If one has a condition that makes wearing a mask difficult, the store should provide reasonable accommodations to allow purchase with the person not having to enter the store, such as curbside pick up or delivery. Things like the ADA require reasonable accommodations, but putting other people at risk of pandemic infection is not a reasonable accommodation.

The whole situation should have been handled in a rather different way.

Yeah you said it better, I really struggled with that
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    I'm not a scientist-- I don't know whose information I'm supposed to trust. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but historically, in every country, drama like this goes down during every election year. Which does make me reluctant to trust any news or educated professional.

I wear a mask because I am not opinionated enough about it to go one way or another, and people seem more offended by people not wearing a mask. I do not wear it while I am out for run/walks as I live in Louisiana have trouble breathing normal hot air as it is and no one is around.

I'm forty years old and I don't remember any drama quite like THIS before any election. I'm comfortable assuming that COVID-19 is an actual thing.

I think it is a "thing", I'm just not sure about the hype around it and whose numbers to trust. Ultimately, everyone is just choosing what they consider to be facts--but when there are "facts" on both sides, it becomes faith. Faith that your information is more accurate than the guy next to you's.

For me, it's just more of a wait and see deal. I've lived in a few different countries and a lot of the 2020 US controversies seem typical to the election seasons of other places in the world. I'm just being as safe as I can with the information I have, while waiting to see what happens next.
This discussion has been closed.