Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Trying to keep this up. I'm a morning person, which is great that I can beat the heat. I walk a mile then jog 2 miles. That must be a sight! Then I walk the dogs a mile. Soon I will resume hiking. I love hiking, but there have been too many rattlesnakes in the mountains this year. I don't do snakes.

Any other hikers here?
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Is this a ladies only club?
    If not then I wouldn't mind joining your merry band...
    The name is Tone.
    56 years old.
    6' 4" tall and not far off that around...lol.
    337.4 pounds when i weighed myself on Sunday morning.
    My goal weight is a very long way off at 196 pounds!
    I have been logging for 3 weeks now and have shed 16 pounds so far.
    I weigh myself each Sunday morning and take measurements on the first Sunday of the month.

Hi Tone,

Everyone is welcome! Guys and girls. 😀
    I agree with Grandrory...congrats on your 16 pound loss!

Jill
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    dustyspal wrote: »
    Trying to keep this up. I'm a morning person, which is great that I can beat the heat. I walk a mile then jog 2 miles. That must be a sight! Then I walk the dogs a mile. Soon I will resume hiking. I love hiking, but there have been too many rattlesnakes in the mountains this year. I don't do snakes.

Any other hikers here?
    I don't do snakes neither. Where we live we have a lot of copperheads. Wow you do a lot of walking, I'm not a hiker but have just started walking. I'd love to hike but no place around here for that but lots of walking trails.
  • sherim1963
    sherim1963 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi grandrory, welcome. JoDavo66, sorry I almost missed your post. Hi and welcome to you also. Tone, I don't see why not, but I didn't start this group. I dont have your answer.
    Jill, thanks for the lead on Leslie Sansone. It's been raining here all day. I'll have to check her out on YouTube.
    Does anyone know of an affordable, but well built and reliable pedometer. I'm not sure my Galaxy watch is picking up all of my steps. My hands do not hang down at my sides.
    I walk with a walker. I have for several years. I had a severe automobile accident that injured my back and I also have degenerative disc disease. I want to make sure that now that I am starting to walk I can truly keep track of my steps.
    Thanks for any help. 🌻
    Sheri
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    dustyspal wrote: »

Any other hikers here?

My husband I love to hike. We usually plan our vacations around a cabin in the mountains where there is good hiking. We have done most of the trails along skyline drive near Front Royal and Luray Va. We did Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina too! The heat has been killer here on the East Coast too!! I have been sticking to inside workouts because by the time I get home from work it is so dang hot.
  • eapar507
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Is this a ladies only club?
    If not then I wouldn't mind joining your merry band...
    The name is Tone.
    56 years old.
    6' 4" tall and not far off that around...lol.
    337.4 pounds when i weighed myself on Sunday morning.
    My goal weight is a very long way off at 196 pounds!
    I have been logging for 3 weeks now and have shed 16 pounds so far.
    I weigh myself each Sunday morning and take measurements on the first Sunday of the month.

Welcome Tone. I just think you are the first guy to join our group. The more the merrier and I see Jill has welcomed you already. That is a huge loss!!! Great for you! Your Sunday weigh in works out perfect for our Sunday check in. We are posting out stats each Sunday on this thread.
  • eapar507
    edited July 2020
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have finally perfected my evening protein shake!!

1- 11 oz vanilla Premier Protein shake
    1 scoop- Chike Mocha Coffee Protein
    8 oz- unsweetned vanilla almond milk
    72g fresh strawberries
    3 big ice cubes

Throw it all in the Ninja and blend for 25-30 seconds and wow delicious. It packs 42g of protein, 280 calories.

I need to Thank Jill for suggesting the Premier brand protein shakes! They are the best I have tried thus far.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Hi, this sounds like my kind of crew here. I just turned 50 this year. I have been off and on MFP for a long time now. I am trying to recommit as my health is starting to show cracks. My fasting glucose in the morning is elevated,as my BP is also. I haven't had my doctor offically diagnose me with diabetes yet or prescribe BP meds, but want to avoid that as much as possible. I am a shorty, only 5'4" and currently am at 213. I get going well, then life happens and it goes to pot. This needs to change for me. I have a daughter turning ten tomorrow and I want to be around for her. I am working toward getting my logging to be consistent. That requires me to participate. I hope to develop the life long habits I need to beat this and get myself down to 145-150.
  • eapar507
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Hi, this sounds like my kind of crew here. I just turned 50 this year. I have been off and on MFP for a long time now. I am trying to recommit as my health is starting to show cracks. My fasting glucose in the morning is elevated,as my BP is also. I haven't had my doctor offically diagnose me with diabetes yet or prescribe BP meds, but want to avoid that as much as possible. I am a shorty, only 5'4" and currently am at 213. I get going well, then life happens and it goes to pot. This needs to change for me. I have a daughter turning ten tomorrow and I want to be around for her. I am working toward getting my logging to be consistent. That requires me to participate. I hope to develop the life long habits I need to beat this and get myself down to 145-150.

Hi crosbylee. Welcome. Your goal weight is close to mine. We can lose this weight together!!!

I don't have high BP, but I am a type 2 diabetic and I can tell you from experience losing weight and exercising makes a huge difference. When I am active and eating below 130g of carbs daily, my fasting BG stays in a healthy range 80-99. My personal goal is to have it below 95 every morning. This has been my main motivation to eat healthy and get fit. You can do this. I am working on making this lifestyle change permanent this time and hopefully you can too.
  • grandrory
    sherim1963 wrote: »
    Hi grandrory, welcome. JoDavo66, sorry I almost missed your post. Hi and welcome to you also. Tone, I don't see why not, but I didn't start this group. I dont have your answer.
    Jill, thanks for the lead on Leslie Sansone. It's been raining here all day. I'll have to check her out on YouTube.
    Does anyone know of an affordable, but well built and reliable pedometer. I'm not sure my Galaxy watch is picking up all of my steps. My hands do not hang down at my sides.
    I walk with a walker. I have for several years. I had a severe automobile accident that injured my back and I also have degenerative disc disease. I want to make sure that now that I am starting to walk I can truly keep track of my steps.
    Thanks for any help. 🌻
    Sheri

Hi sherim1963. I downloaded a pedometer from the App Store for my iPhone, it's called pacer, I believe, and it's free. I just carry my phone in my pocket all day and it counts my steps. Seems to be pretty accurate, when I walk on the treadmill it shows the same amount of steps as my treadmill does. I just have to remember to keep my phone charged lol.
    I'm sorry about your accident. Glad to hear that you're starting to walk, hopefully that will help strengthen your back.
  • grandrory
    @eapar507 that recipe does sound good. I've never heard of coffee protein before, does it taste like coffee?
    My DH was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple months ago so we've had to change our lifestyle (food wise) quiet abit. His BG was up in the 400's. His Dr is still playing around with how much insulin/meds he's taking. It's definitely an eye opener!
  • grandrory
    @crosbylee, hi. I just started in this group myself. We've got a lot in common. I'm 5'2" and 203.8 pounds. My goal is 135-140. I too have been on and off with MFP for several years. I do pretty good then like you said...life happens. I'm a big time stress/emotional eater which I am trying hard to work on. So far I really like this group they seem to be very supportive.
  • eapar507
    @grandrory yes the coffe protein does taste like coffee, but the one scoop mixed in the recipe I posted is more like hint of coffee and it is so good.

I sure hope your husband can get his bs under control. I am taking metformin and just watching my diet and working on getting some exercise everyday. That is keeping mine under control.
    Here is a photo of the coffee protein. I get it on Amazon.
    1g47dkv7nn0e.jpeg
  • grandrory
    Yumm that looks good. I love coffee. I'll have to try it. Thank you for letting me know about it.
  • grandrory
    Sorry I forgot to check in yesterday with my weight/goals.
    Sunday 7/26
    Starting weight 203.8
    Current weight 203.8

My goals this week are:
    Walk 1 mile a day
    Do 7,000-10,000 steps a day
    Drink 64 oz water a day (this is a tough one for me)
    Log/track everything I eat, good and bad
    Loose 1-2 pounds this week
  • jm216
    sherim1963 wrote: »
    Thanks for any help. 🌻
    Sheri

Hi Sheri,
    I used a Fitbit for years and synced the data with My Fitness Pal. Mine broke awhile back and I never replaced it. I loved it.

Jill
  • jm216
    eapar507 wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have finally perfected my evening protein shake!!

1- 11 oz vanilla Premier Protein shake
    1 scoop- Chike Mocha Coffee Protein
    8 oz- unsweetned vanilla almond milk
    72g fresh strawberries
    3 big ice cubes

Throw it all in the Ninja and blend for 25-30 seconds and wow delicious. It packs 42g of protein, 280 calories.

I need to Thank Jill for suggesting the Premier brand protein shakes! They are the best I have tried thus far.

You are so welcome, Ellen! That sounds totally tasty!
  • jm216
    crosbylee wrote: »

Welcome Crosbylee!
    This is your crew...and you have come to the right place. We’re glad you’re here!

Jill🥰
  • pandygirl1
    pandygirl1 Posts: 87 Member
    Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with my weight since childhood. I have managed to lose a good amount of weight over a few years. The problem is that I would become unmotivated and would stall in my weight-loss journey. This has happened a few times, but never resulted in any major regaining of weight I had lost already.
    Back in March was the start of my last stall, which lasted around 4 month. Just started back today, on MFP and my weight-loss journey.

Been dealing with a lot of health problems, including type 2 diabetes, Thyroid issue, degenerative disc disease, and recently diagnosed with having a heart attack and I have sleep apnea. ( Yes, I know. It's a lot, but it's not all I'm dealing in regards to my health)
    All this has made me more determine to improve my lifestyle, with eating healthier and getting physically fit (as best I can)

My Stats:
    Height: 6'0 ft
    Female
    Heaviest weight: 400 lbs
    Current: weight: 290
    Ultimate goal: between 180 & 200
    ( Depends on how I feel and how my health is doing)

• jm216
    pandygirl1 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with my weight since childhood. I have managed to lose a good amount of weight over a few years. The problem is that I would become unmotivated and would stall in my weight-loss journey. This has happened a few times, but never resulted in any major regaining of weight I had lost already.
    Back in March was the start of my last stall, which lasted around 4 month. Just started back today, on MFP and my weight-loss journey.

Been dealing with a lot of health problems, including type 2 diabetes, Thyroid issue, degenerative disc disease, and recently diagnosed with having a heart attack and I have sleep apnea. ( Yes, I know. It's a lot, but it's not all I'm dealing in regards to my health)
    All this has made me more determine to improve my lifestyle, with eating healthier and getting physically fit (as best I can)

My Stats:
    Height: 6'0 ft
    Female
    Heaviest weight: 400 lbs
    Current: weight: 290
    Ultimate goal: between 180 & 200
    ( Depends on how I feel and how my health is doing)

Welcome Home Pandygirl1!
    You’ve already lost 110 pounds which is a great success story. We’re here to lose the rest together. Slow and steady on this journey. We’re all here for you!

Jill🌸