August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Going for a slightly lower goal of 70 miles this month. The taper before my half is probably going to make 75 hitting 75 again unlikely.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @katharmonic Thanks for setting us up! I hope your 4K happens. It sounds like a fun race and it's a great cause.

@elise4270 I don't remember you telling us about your son last month. I am really sorry to hear that.
    I did not mention it here. This group made efforts to send him letters in boot camp (Feb 2017), but I think many have moved on and are no longer active. I of course appreciate the thoughts.

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @katharmonic @noblsheep @Elise4270
    Hugs to all of you. I know this too well with myself, and my husband who suffers with this. Thinking of all of you.
    And yes great cause on the race and hope it happens.

Going to say 100 for Aug...but maybe tough now that I've started spinning again.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    mahmood_ak wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Im Mahmood this is my first time here. Planning to do atleast 60km in August

Welcome!
  • PastorVincent
    @katharmonic @noblsheep @Elise4270
    Hugs to all of you. I know this too well with myself, and my husband who suffers with this. Thinking of all of you.
    And yes great cause on the race and hope it happens.

/agree. I too have people close to me that suffer from this (not me, I have a completely different set of issues).
  • PastorVincent
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @katharmonic Love the Life Worth Living 4K suicide prevention run and a corn maze to boot! I lost my son to suicide last month. It is not an easy experience.

Oh no! I am so sorry!
  • PastorVincent
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Greetings! Mostly a lurker, I participated more in these challenges last fall as I was finishing C25K. Then I took a 4 week break in the winter and when I got back to running I was trying to minimize my social media time...

Anyway, after my first 10K in March, things pretty much shut down race-wise b/c of covid, and in April I took another month off. That proved to be beneficial since in that time my plantar fasciitis disappeared. And here I am back running again!

Welcome back! :smile:

• InkedAtty57
    InkedAtty57 Posts: 19 Member
    I am going for 50 miles.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @katharmonic Love the Life Worth Living 4K suicide prevention run and a corn maze to boot! I lost my son to suicide last month. It is not an easy experience.

Oh no! I am so sorry!

So sorry too. I missed this earlier. Biggest 🤗
  • PastorVincent
    I am going for 50 miles.

So that is what, little over 2 miles in each pair of shoes you have? :D
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @katharmonic That is great that you are doing a run for such an important cause. The suicide rate has steadily been increasing for the last few years. We’ve had a huge increase in attempts (and completions) in the prisons as well, and my acute care beds stay full to the point where we’ve had to send people to other facilities several times lately because I have no beds. We’ve had 2 suicides at work in the last year.

@Elise4270 and @noblsheep I’m sorry for what both of you have been through.

I don’t know if I mentioned in the July thread, but I am going to do a virtual run that raises money for the National Alliance for Mental Health sometime in August. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I’ll share the info.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    I am going to shoot for 75 miles for August.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    mahmood_ak wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Im Mahmood this is my first time here. Planning to do atleast 60km in August
    exercise.png

Welcome.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

Thanks for raising awareness.

in my circle of friends, we lose people pretty frequently. i almost lost my stepdaughter to suicide. i've been there.
    it's a wonderful cause. I'll be doing the Ethan's Run Against Addiction. i run for my husband and friends. it's gone virtual. hopefully, i'll be running with my husband's sponsor and the parents of a child who od'd. and a few other people in the 12 step community.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Thank you so much @Elise4270 <3<3 and everyone else - I really appreciate you all and the support here so much. It's sad but speaks to how common it is that so many of us have struggled or know people who have/are struggling. Great to hear other events support mental health as well.
  • Elise4270
    Does anyone have a monthly question to start us off with?

A monthly question.
    This year has been challenging mentally, emotionally and physically (for some of us). How are you coping? What do you do to get back on track? What challenges do you face and how are you managing them? (hint: if you are not it's time to do so).
    or
    Remember when you were 10-13 ish? What were your favorite after school shows, snacks, activities, favorite memories and friends or pets?
  • Elise4270
    @katharmonic I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and the hygienist's daughter is an ER nurse. She said you wouldn't believe the frequency they treat OD's and self harm. Just in the two weeks after Alex died, his sister needed to an in treatment mental health facility (thank G-d she spoke up), a friend of her cousin committed suicide, and the cousins roommate attempted suicide (although the girls feel it was attention seeking, nonetheless it's alarming how these kids are feeling today).

@mbaker566 My husband is in recovery too, clean and sober 16 years I think. Nicotine free 8. With everything going on hes back to the 90 meeting in 90 days. He's also a drug and alcohol counselor too. I think mental health and addiction are just two sides of the same coin. DH self medicated. I know DS tried to self medicate too. And in fact DD does too. Lots of addiction on my side of the family, I don't think I realized that until I met DH.
  • Elise4270
    Strava
    I added @PastorVincent and @Avidkeo as Strava administrators. Is there anyone else that would like to field the member approvals?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @katharmonic I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and the hygienist's daughter is an ER nurse. She said you wouldn't believe the frequency they treat OD's and self harm. Just in the two weeks after Alex died, his sister needed to an in treatment mental health facility (thank G-d she spoke up), a friend of her cousin committed suicide, and the cousins roommate attempted suicide (although the girls feel it was attention seeking, nonetheless it's alarming how these kids are feeling today).

@mbaker566 My husband is in recovery too, clean and sober 16 years I think. Nicotine free 8. With everything going on hes back to the 90 meeting in 90 days. He's also a drug and alcohol counselor too. I think mental health and addiction are just two sides of the same coin. DH self medicated. I know DS tried to self medicate too. And in fact DD does too. Lots of addiction on my side of the family, I don't think I realized that until I met DH.

like they say in the Book. Alcohol is but a symptom...