Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• jonason62jonason62 Member Posts: 14 Member Member Posts: 14 Member
    Regarding comments about masks not being effective, in the 1918 epidemic people wore masks made of gauze, but flu transmission was lower where masks wearing was adhered to. If people touch their face more wearing a mask, well, get used to using sanitising gel after each touch!
  • cgvet37cgvet37 Member Posts: 1,185 Member Member Posts: 1,185 Member
    Unless everyone properly wears a mask, there is no point.
  • claireychn074claireychn074 Member, Premium Posts: 381 Member Member, Premium Posts: 381 Member
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    Wear a mask since it is mandated otherwise I would not. I have worked out in the public since it has started and have seen the the trend with people wearing them up until it was mandated. The fall into two groups with little middle ground. Either100% for it or 100% against it. The fear people have of other people in public not wearing a mask is sad. If you are that afraid, please shop online and have it delivered.

If you are so fragile about your freedom that you can't respect public health recommendations in the middle of a pandemic, please shop online and have it delivered.

^^^ Yes to this comment a hundred times. Thank you.
    Some of us can’t get delivery slots and don’t live in cities with loads of shops. What do you want us to do - starve? I have no option but to go out and buy food.

Except for cucumbers - my greenhouse is over-run with the blasted things and I need cucumber recipes!
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,405 Member Member Posts: 1,405 Member
    Wear a mask since it is mandated otherwise I would not. I have worked out in the public since it has started and have seen the the trend with people wearing them up until it was mandated. The fall into two groups with little middle ground. Either100% for it or 100% against it. The fear people have of other people in public not wearing a mask is sad. If you are that afraid, please shop online and have it delivered.

If you are so fragile about your freedom that you can't respect public health recommendations in the middle of a pandemic, please shop online and have it delivered.

The poster said they wore a mask were it was mandated, otherwise they do not. In my area masks are mandated in public indoor spaces as well as outside when social distancing isn't possible, maybe the same is in their area. I wear one religiously in these cases, not in other cases like when I'm running by myself in my subdivision at 5AM.

edited August 10
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,525 Member Member Posts: 8,525 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »

That's absurd. There are very few problems that require 100% perfect compliance to avoid eliminating all value of any compliance. Nuclear deterrence is arguably one. Reducing disease transmission is not.
  • PWHFPWHF Member, Premium Posts: 222 Member Member, Premium Posts: 222 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I wear one when there are local mandates for use and/or businesses that say you need one to enter.

Other than that it's going in my pocket.

This is my position as well.

• cgvet37cgvet37 Member Posts: 1,185 Member Member Posts: 1,185 Member

That's absurd. There are very few problems that require 100% perfect compliance to avoid eliminating all value of any compliance. Nuclear deterrence is arguably one. Reducing disease transmission is not.

You do realize that those cheap paper masks do nothing to protect you? They are to protect you if someone coughs or sneezes. So, it takes one person who is sick and not wearing a mask. If you really want to be protected, you better wear a hazmat suite. Do you wear goggles? If not, the virus can enter through your eyes. So, the mask makes people "feel" safe.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,286 Member Member Posts: 24,286 Member

You do realize that those cheap paper masks do nothing to protect you? They are to protect you if someone coughs or sneezes. So, it takes one person who is sick and not wearing a mask. If you really want to be protected, you better wear a hazmat suite. Do you wear goggles? If not, the virus can enter through your eyes. So, the mask makes people "feel" safe.

This stuff about the virus entering through your eyes sounds like pure speculation. Can we get exposed to diseases via our eyeballs? I'm sure we can. But viral load is a thing and if someone coughs in your vicinity, mere access to your eyeball isn't going to mean you necessarily get infected.
This discussion has been closed.