Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2020 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,304 Member
    8.5 AF / 12
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    We have a trip planned for next month. We want to get one in before whatever happens with schools resuming happens. By the time it arrives I will be just over 16 months AF so now the question of whether or not to plan to have something comes up again.

The one thing that is beginning to bother me is the amount of liquor and wine I have stored but not touched for all this time. I have 4 big bottles of vodka, 1 whiskey, 1 scotch, a few small items, and probably 8 or so bottles of wine. I do not want to waste it but I am not sure at my present speed of consumption how long it will take me to get through it.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    I am Dawn. 59 (for one more month), I live in SE BC
    My goal has remained the same, one that I feel comfortable with: 16-20AF days each month.

Saturday August 01 - Drinks, fancy fruity ones that I concocted.
    Sunday August 02 - AF - Didn't really want to be AF, but did.
    Monday August 03 - AF - Too windy to go to a lake today (I float on a mat) so I did some stuff around the garden. It is still going to be 100 degrees for a couple of more days, I am going to try to only work in the mornings so that I can get to the lake while it is super hot and not windy. Motivation to not drink is how my belly swells up so big the day after having drinks. Planning on AF again tomorrow.
    Tuesday August 04 - AF - Long stressful workday when I should have been at the lake, second to last really hot day. So badly wanted a few cocktails, but fought through it with my newfound "don't drink when you are stressed" tactic. Those cocktails won't be going anywhere, I will have a few on a happy day. Lake time Wednesday no matter what.
    Wednesday August 05 - Drinks. Last hot day here, so went to the lake and had some yummy cocktails when I got home.
    Thursday August 06 - AF - I will try to be AF tomorrow also to get 2 in a row.
    Friday August 07 - AF - Might have drinks with a friend this weekend.
    Saturday August 08 - Bunch of drinks with a girlfriend. I was making them, so put half of the alcohol in mine. We had a nice visit.
    Sunday August 09 - AF - planning on racking up a few of those.
    Monday August 10 - AF - This didn't post for some reason, probably human error : - )
    Tuesday August 11 - AF - I really have myself convinced now to not numb myself with alcohol when stressed out. If I have a few drinks when I am happy I enjoy/savour them more. I will probably be making Mojitos again before the mint is finished. When it is almost done I make a giant vat of mint tea, strain it, then freeze it into containers to later put in the blender for a nice minty frozen iced tea drink (no alcohol).
    Wednesday August 12 - AF - I have a long hard workday ahead tomorrow, so no drinks tonight.
    Thursday August 13 - AF - Very long hard workday today, I really really wanted drinks, but hanging tough.

Rolling total 10AF days out of 13 days
  • dawnbgethealthy
    My goal has remained the same, one that I feel comfortable with: 16-20AF days each month.

Monday August 03 - AF - Too windy to go to a lake today (I float on a mat) so I did some stuff around the garden. It is still going to be 100 degrees for a couple of more days, I am going to try to only work in the mornings so that I can get to the lake while it is super hot and not windy. Motivation to not drink is how my belly swells up so big the day after having drinks. Planning on AF again tomorrow.
    Tuesday August 04 - AF - Long stressful workday when I should have been at the lake, second to last really hot day. So badly wanted a few cocktails, but fought through it with my newfound "don't drink when you are stressed" tactic. Those cocktails won't be going anywhere, I will have a few on a happy day. Lake time Wednesday no matter what.
    Wednesday August 05 - Drinks. Last hot day here, so went to the lake and had some yummy cocktails when I got home.
    Saturday August 08 - Bunch of drinks with a girlfriend. I was making them, so put half of the alcohol in mine. We had a nice visit.
    Monday August 10 - AF - This didn't post for some reason, probably human error : - )
    Tuesday August 11 - AF - I really have myself convinced now to not numb myself with alcohol when stressed out. If I have a few drinks when I am happy I enjoy/savour them more. I will probably be making Mojitos again before the mint is finished. When it is almost done I make a giant vat of mint tea, strain it, then freeze it into containers to later put in the blender for a nice minty frozen iced tea drink (no alcohol).
    Wednesday August 12 - AF - I have a long hard workday ahead tomorrow, so no drinks tonight.
    Thursday August 13 - AF - Very long hard workday today, I really really wanted drinks, but hanging tough.
    Friday August 14 - 2 wine and 1 cocktail, feeling woozy, out of the habit of the alcohol, but have a Mojito date with a gf for Sunday, one day to recuperate beforehand.

Rolling total 10AF days out of 14 days
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Wow @shorepine I probably haven't read the 4 agreements in 30 years. I will get back into that tomorrow. Thanks!!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited August 2020
    @dawnbgethealthy HOLY SMOKES I am on my knees and so impressed that you are such a rock star. 🎶🎙🎸What excellent photos and an amazing life. Thank you a million times over for sharing your story with us. WOW, now that is a hair style if I ever saw one.
    So it looks like we have ourselves a less alcohol band. Now we need to come up with a catching name ( @mainelylisa ).

@shorepine I am also curious as to what the 4 agreements is. Will have to reseach that one. Happy two AF days for you.

@looneycatblue hope your weigh made you smile.

@Samand303 nice switch-a-roo. I pulled it off again with my iced tea in a fancy stemmed glass while out last night.😉

Smooth sailing through the first 14 days of August for me. Many obstacles, but luckily I can still hurdle going on 61 years of age 🤣😂😅

Have a fantastic weekend.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    We have a trip planned for next month. We want to get one in before whatever happens with schools resuming happens. By the time it arrives I will be just over 16 months AF so now the question of whether or not to plan to have something comes up again.

The one thing that is beginning to bother me is the amount of liquor and wine I have stored but not touched for all this time. I have 4 big bottles of vodka, 1 whiskey, 1 scotch, a few small items, and probably 8 or so bottles of wine. I do not want to waste it but I am not sure at my present speed of consumption how long it will take me to get through it.

Well hello there again @NovusDies. Been awhile, it is awesome to see your 16 month anniversary AF is approaching. Your a great inspiration to this group. 👍👍👍
  • shorepine
    shorepine Posts: 258 Member
    @MissMay the 4 Agreements is a really simple book that maintains that if you make four agreement with yourself, you will find personal freedom. The four agreements are: Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Always do your best.

It's a really short read and also a good one to come back to from time to time.

August is ticking on and on and I can't believe it's halfway over starting today! I'm feeling a little funny about that fact. This weekend, I don't have much planned only to hole up a bit at home. There's a big heat wave happening in other parts of the state which means the coast will be flooded with day trippers trying to escape the heat because of our naturally cool temperatures found here. Typically, we are anywhere from 20-30 degrees colder than inland areas.

I haven't felt much like drinking since returning home from our trip.

Aug 1: 2 drinks
    Aug 2: AF
    Aug 3: AF
    Aug 4: AF
    Aug 5: AF
    Aug 6: AF
    Aug 7: 2 drinks
    Aug 8: AF
    Aug 9: 2 drinks
    Aug 10: 3/4 of a bottle of wine
    Aug 11: 3/4 of a bottle of wine
    Aug 12: AF
    Aug 13: AF
    Aug 14: AF

So far in Aug: 9/14 days AF
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Great point made here. My logic is quite similar so I can very much relate to the thought of "not wasting it". For some reason, if I have it, at some point, it "must" be consumed, otherwise it's wasted. I have to think about this some more. I seem to apply the same logic to food as well.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Ouch, I just don't do well with any amount of wine anymore. I was never a big wine drinker, but worked in the industry putting on tastings, designing wine lists etc. and used to be able to at least taste it. My sister and I are meeting in Osoyoos BC (the hottest place in Canada) in September for our birthdays celebration. We planned to visit a bunch of wineries in the region.
    The way I feel today...very yucky.
    A workout helped a little, trying to drink a bunch of water. Argh.

Alka Seltzer...maybe and throw a few drops of hydration electrolytes in your water. I can relate after last night's husband's birthday party. I think we got ourselves to a "too healthy" level so our systems really kick up a fuss if we try to drink like before :)
  • dawnbgethealthy

Friday August 14 - 2 wine and 1 cocktail, feeling woozy, out of the habit of the alcohol, but have a Mojito date with a gf for Sunday, one day to recuperate beforehand.
    Saturday August 15 - AF - I didn't feel well all day today. A few weeks ago I had 3 ounces of wine and it was the same the next day. Wine just doesn't agree with me anymore. Even though I like the taste, it is definitely not worth basically missing the whole day after.

Rolling total 11AF days out of 15 days