Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2020 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,799 Member
    edited August 2020

I am Dawn. 59 (for one more month), I live in SE BC
    My goal has remained the same, one that I feel comfortable with: 16-20AF days each month.

Saturday August 01 - Drinks, fancy fruity ones that I concocted.
    Sunday August 02 - AF - Didn't really want to be AF, but did.
    Monday August 03 - AF - Too windy to go to a lake today (I float on a mat) so I did some stuff around the garden. It is still going to be 100 degrees for a couple of more days, I am going to try to only work in the mornings so that I can get to the lake while it is super hot and not windy. Motivation to not drink is how my belly swells up so big the day after having drinks. Planning on AF again tomorrow.

Rolling total 2AF days out of 3 days
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,799 Member
    edited August 2020
    Great photo of your wood @forestdweller1
    Did you have to split all of that??
    Very proactive to be getting that all looked after before the winter.

Glad to finally know what the countdown is all about :)
    I have a lot to say about what has happened to the USA under the current administration, but will hold my tongue in a cliché, polite, Canadian manner.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,463 Member
    Grrr just lost my long post! Need to remember not to hit the "Done" button!
    2 AF / 3
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,630 Member
    1. more than 50% AF days - so far 2 AF / 3 = 66%
    2. when I do indulge, measure, don't keep topping off, journal it before taking the 1st sip - sticking to this
    3. stay accountable, check in here each day - yes, here again :p
    4. lose 4 lbs (need to take off what I added on in July) - I am seeing the scale moving down, hope it continues.
    5. walk each day, at least 30 minutes, no matter how busy, no negotiating on this, I need this for many reasons - this was a tough one, as I didn't have time to get my morning walk in, and hubby usually doesn't want to go for more the 20 mins in the evenings (when we do go)... I suggested a place to walk far enough down the road... it worked, 38 mins and no complaining from Hubby. I think he actually enjoys the walks, but doesn't voice it. B)

No wine or spirits for me tonight! (it helps that I didn't restock on my favorites when I went grocery shopping on Sat) Also helps that hubby hasn't been indulging for the past 10 days, he is having sinus issues and just isn't. ;)

You get a gold star @looneycatblue. I am lovin you determination. Wrtten out agendas are a great waybto keep on track, because you can re-read them all day long for added support.👍👍👍
  • MissMay
    @dawnbgethealthy ...no wood splitting by this septuagenarian !! Wood comes in a HUGE dump truck that fits between my double wooden gates with literally 2 inches to spare. Procrastination is not an option. Ordering wood in September gets you the "I have so many orders now, I can deliver in February" song and dance.

I also am holding [biting] my tongue, just counting. Paying too much attention leads me to drink.

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well". St. Julian

Nice BTU sticks. Yup, I have sawed down my own, cut, split and stacked it for Winter(first burn) Then you get the second burn by bringing it in the house. Then finally the last burn when you enjoy the heat of the logs. Darn, way to warm to be talking about warming up next to the fire place.

Keep well in P. A.
  • MissMay
    I am Dawn. 59 (for one more month), I live in SE BC
    My goal has remained the same, one that I feel comfortable with: 16-20AF days each month.

Saturday August 01 - Drinks, fancy fruity ones that I concocted.
    Sunday August 02 - AF - Didn't really want to be AF, but did.
    Monday August 03 - AF - Too windy to go to a lake today (I float on a mat) so I did some stuff around the garden. It is still going to be 100 degrees for a couple of more days, I am going to try to only work in the mornings so that I can get to the lake while it is super hot and not windy. Motivation to not drink is how my belly swells up so big the day after having drinks. Planning on AF again tomorrow.

Rolling total 2AF days out of 3 days

Your ahead of the game so far, 2 to 1.👍
  • MissMay
    shorepine wrote: »
    Good morning all, Monday morning here. I'm checking in for August. I finished July with meeting my goal of 20 AF days. I wasn't too happy that on quite a few of those days when I did have alcohol, I had A LOT of alcohol. I kind of gave myself a free pass because it was a drinking day. My goal for August is to also have at least 20 AF days, but to drink more moderately on the days I do drink- no more than 2-3 drinks.

Here's my yearly 2020 recap so far! by the way, I picked a hell of a year to moderate my drinking, as evidenced by the number of my AF days trending into the teens in the covid-spring. :\ Still, I've been alcohol-free about 60% of the time. I'd like to up my time alcohol free to 70% before the end of the year.

Jan: 23 days AF
    Feb: 16 days AF
    Mar: 22 days AF
    April: 19 days AF
    May: 12 days AF
    June: 16 days AF
    July: 20 days AF
    Total for 2020: 128/213 days AF

The first day of August, I did enjoy a couple smallish glasses of wine with dinner. This day was still a total win for me though, because during the day we floated a local river with another family (the same family we always hang out with- we are "quarantine friends"). Again, the adults except me were enjoying beers as they floated down the river. That is something I normally would have done, too. It's not really a drunken river party kind of experience- after all we have kids and we're in our 40s, but it's more of a gentle daytime buzz. I just brought sparkling waters and I ENJOYED being sober! I felt safer on the river and at the end of the day I didn't have that exhausted "I had beers during the day in hot weather" kind of frazzledness about me. I was able to jump into making a healthy dinner, salmon and pasta, and I really enjoyed my wine that evening. So even though I did let myself have some wine- it was Saturday evening and I felt like the day was a winner for me for my goal of moderating alcohol.

Aug 1: 2 drinks
    Aug 2: AF

So far in Aug: 1/2 days AF
    Sounds like you had an excellent time and less is less around here. Smart choice to be sober on the water. 🤗
  • MissMay
    Samand303 wrote: »
    @shorepine Sounds like a great day. I know that “afternoon beer in hot weather” feeling and Hate it. I’m keeping Brooklyn Special Effects AF on hand for those moments.

For those of you who can find NYS wines, this one is definitely worth it. Wolffer Estate is on Long Island. Beautiful bottle and refreshing rose with character. Hope you all got those imaginary tastings I sent. If you didn’t get them, must’ve been the trolls! I imagine they make other wines, but I only seem to think of them for Summer in a Bottle. 🌞🌸🌻🌺

Thanks for the imaginary sips. It was lovely. When is the next tasting scheduled?
  • MissMay
    edited August 2020
    whitpauly wrote: »
    6:37 am in Vegas another 24 💖,hope everyone has a great day!

Here she is our Vegas time keeper. Sounding great @whitpauly. Wishing you a super day as well.
  • MissMay
    I'm in! I just spent 10 minutes trying to remember everything I ingested since Friday morning. While a great brain recall activity, I don't recommend it for accuracy. Great to see everyone here and love the photos (sideways, upside down...doesn't matter)! I think I must be trying to make up for 4.5 months AF, as I'm 0/2 so far. However, moderated well. But didn't sleep well last night. I think I'm trying to find my new normal. I love that I'm not loving the wine enough to desire continuing after about 1.5 drinks.

I'm trying to find what Less Alcohol means to me, but for now, I'll say more AF than drinking days, and 2 max on any one day.

Here's to a new week!

Could have been that blasted humidity we are having here lately that you did not sleep well. Isn't it funy how after you dont consume an particular alcohol for a while you start questioning if it eally tastes that great? Some times now even the mention of a certain booze turns my stomach. Yet I can always down a prosseco without a problem.
    Yay to a new week. Where is that blasted thunderstorm that should be hitting our coast🌧⚡🌬
  • MissMay
    goldlady wrote: »
    hello, I am a newbie here. Had a big binge over the weekend and I have enjoyed reading these posts. Not sure what I am going to do, quit, moderate or carry on but I think this community will help me, knowing I am not alone in my struggles with alcohol. Thank you.

Hello and welcome @goldlady. We would be happy to support and chat with you while you figure out your less alcohol journey. Have you checked out page one here of this thread? Lots of helpful tidbits on how to approach your goal.
    We are a little quiet in here right now with Summer in full bloom. But we will be here everyday to listen and respond.
    Make one simple little less alcohol promise or goal just for today, and start from there. One day at a time.
  • MissMay
    Catch you later in August @forestdweller1. You should use that wine rack in your basement to hold some firewood.🤣